Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,812,209 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess mission has been accomplished. Inject some BS about his military service and sit back and watch people discuss about it. McCain campaign has got to be hating this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,740 times
I beleive kudos is deserved to McCain for his POW experience.

That said, it is a valid point to raise that without that horrific personal experience, there is very little chance we would be talking about McCain for the Republican nomination.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I beleive kudos is deserved to McCain for his POW experience.

That said, it is a valid point to raise that without that horrific personal experience, there is very little chance we would be talking about McCain for the Republican nomination.
There were many men tortured, many POWs are still there. McCain was given an opportunity to be repatriated early because of his father's name - he refused. That was heroic.

When he came back to the US he was a bit of a celebrity, he started cheating on his wife, and in Florida he met Cindy, whose dad bankrolled his start in politics. cite

So yeah, if it werent for his experiences as a POW there's about zero chance we'd be talking about him - at all.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He in fact was forced to retire. basically he was from the line of leaders that did such a miserable job in vietnam leading our troops. he was shuffled from one non -critical command job to another. In the end he has no room to say that a man who flew missions into enemy terroitory;survived one of teh worse carrier disasters in naval history;giot shotdown and was a prisoner of war is no hero. he discraces the unitform he wore. Can you imagine what he thnks of Kerry's war record;purple hearts and using themn to get out of combat with no real injuries to speak of.Of Kerry before congress bereting him and all US forces in vietnam as a bunch of murders and rapist in his testimony to congress during the vietnam war after getting out.He is just another politican is what i say about his comments and a disgrace to the military.
I understand your feelings of him personally. What I prefer is that you address the topic and the charges levied and tell us what specifically the Senator has done besides be a hero, that lends credulence to his platform that he is a foreign policy expert and deserving of our faith in his ability as such.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He in fact was forced to retire. basically he was from the line of leaders that did such a miserable job in vietnam leading our troops. he was shuffled from one non -critical command job to another. In the end he has no room to say that a man who flew missions into enemy terroitory;survived one of teh worse carrier disasters in naval history;giot shotdown and was a prisoner of war is no hero. he discraces the unitform he wore. Can you imagine what he thnks of Kerry's war record;purple hearts and using themn to get out of combat with no real injuries to speak of.Of Kerry before congress bereting him and all US forces in vietnam as a bunch of murders and rapist in his testimony to congress during the vietnam war after getting out.He is just another politican is what i say about his comments and a disgrace to the military.
Your post is a total load of bullshat. Read the bio: Wesley Clark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know you won't bother to read it, so here are some facts about Wesley Clark, every bit heroic: "...Clark was then given command of A Company, 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry of the 1st Infantry Division in January 1970. In February, only one month into his command, he was shot four times by a Viet Cong soldier with an AK-47. The wounded Clark shouted orders to his men, who counterattacked and defeated the Viet Cong force. Clark had injuries to his right shoulder, right hand, right hip, and right leg, and was sent to Valley Forge Army Hospital in Phoenixville, PA to recuperate. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions....

He was put into retirement because of systemic reasons, such as this: "...because General Joseph Ralston was leaving his post as the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and would need another 4-star command within 60 days or he (Ralston) would be forced to retire. Ralston was not going to be appointed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff due to an extramarital affair in his past, and the SACEUR position was said to be the last potential post for him..." Thusly, because another 4-star (Ralston) was a womanizer (like McCain), the government decided to retire Clark and let joy boy Ralston have Clark's job. Swell. Typical high level crap of promoting the guilty and punishing the innocent.

Clark's a good guy. A former brigade commander said Clark was "singularly outstanding, notably superb." Regarding his term as brigade commander, one of his battalion commanders called Clark the "most brilliant and gifted officer [he'd] ever known." People that smart generate envy in other officers who think they deserve such praise for themselves. After 30 years of working in DC with the Army I've seen such narcissists and posers and wannabes, lots of colonels who see themselves as the spitting image of ol' Dougie MacAuthor himself. Clark got the axe alright, but it was due to the usual political crap in DC, not because Clark fouled anything up.

Your post remains crap. Back on topic, please EXPLAIN why you feel McCain is so well versed in foreign matters?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
~I suppose next Senator Kerry will be trotted out as a defense of Senator McCain all to get back to Senator Obama and attack General Clark.~
http://www.nwce.gov.uk/bank_images/spinning_top.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Online NewsHour: Gen. Wesley Clark Talks About John Kerry's National Security Plan -- July 29, 2004
Quote:
Quote:
John Kerry has lived the values of service and sacrifice. In the Navy, as a prosecutor, as a senator. He proved his physical courage under fire. He's proved his moral courage, too. John Kerry fought a war and came home to fight for peace - his combination of physical courage and moral values is my definition of what we need in a Commander-in-Chief.

Quote:
He has the will to fight, and the moral courage born in battle to pursue and secure a strong peace.

Quote:
John Kerry knows that our soldiers embody the best of America's values: Service. Sacrifice. Courage. Compassion.
I wonder what has made old Wesley change his mind? Surely, surely, even Wesley can agree that when comparing McCain and Kerry, McCain comes out on top.

Not to mention Obama's zilch miltiary/foreign policy experience.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-30-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Fits better in this thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,850 times
Welsey Clark... thinks John F Kerry was great based on his war record and his service to be a great president "Democratic Convention 2004".. Yet he looks at McCain and says he is "Untested and Untried" hmmmmm Looks like Clark is working for the Democrats again. No matter I don't care for McCain based on other issues but I wouldn't put to much stock into the words of Mr. Clark when it comes to who is Untested and Untried.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Exactly! McCain's service leaves Kerry's in the dust.

The POINT is that Kerry's service was just fine with Clark in 2004. In fact, it was his "definition of what we need in a Commander-in-Chief".

It's clear old Wesley is bending over for Obama.

Good thing we have a record of what he said previously.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Exactly! McCain's service leaves Kerry's in the dust.

The POINT is that Kerry's service was just fine with Clark in 2004. In fact, it was his "definition of what we need in a Commander-in-Chief".

It's clear old Wesley is bending over for Obama.

Good thing we have a record of what he said previously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Welsey Clark... thinks John F Kerry was great based on his war record and his service to be a great president "Democratic Convention 2004".. Yet he looks at McCain and says he is "Untested and Untried"
I think it's because Clark knows both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections