Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,251,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And Clark has been a leader of even greater military organizations so his credibility is greater then McCains. I think I have it now. Clark has bigger ones then McCain so he rocks.
When Clark runs against McCain I'll keep that in mind, however he is irrelevant to this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM

26,240 posts, read 49,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Don't you get it? We have had lots of great presidents who did not have military command experience, because we have a civilian govt. No one needs the experience because we can buy that experience and put it in the cabinet.

But, if you are going to tell me that you are qualified to be a civilian president because of your military experience, then you better be able to show me where and when you used negotiation, decision making, administrative planning etc in that career. Show me how your military experience will give you the wisdom to look beyond the battle and to the peace.
Darn it, I can't give you any more rep either. . .

I worked 30 years for the Army, met all kinds of officers, of all services, and I saw a huge variety of humanity, from nut-job little hitlers to saints in uniform. The military is simply a "representative sample" of all that walks our streets. I saw the same variety in my civilian superiors, from neurotics to saints. The saints were mostly women, for some reason.

Neither Abe Lincoln nor FDR were in the military, but BOTH made superb leadership decisions in our nation's darkest hours. Then there is Harry S Truman, a Senator from KS who became VP in 1944 and was thrust into the Presidency when FDR died in office in early 1945. Truman went on to end WW-2 in smashing style and make many other major decisions that when taken as a whole gets him rated by historians as our 10th best President ever.

Military experience is nice to have, but by no means is it a requirement for office, nor does it assure, in ANY way, that a candidate deserves our vote. I understand and respect what John McCain did in uniform, but he has simply been just another also ran in the Senate, more mouth than substance. Then again, if you want another president like Bush, who looked Russia's newly emerging dictator (Putin) in the eye and pronounced him to be a great sort of leader, then waste your vote for JM. After all, Bushie hid out in the Guard during the war in Vietnam, I think actually wearing a uniform to drill on weekends counts as having a military background.

I've watched JM for years, he displays nothing but a drunken sailor sort of bravado. I guess he's seen "Top Gun" too many times.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,092,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
When Clark runs against McCain I'll keep that in mind, however he is irrelevant to this election.
Duhhhhhhhhh? This thread is about him and his comments on McCain. So that makes him 100% relevant within the context of the thread since its about him! Now as I said if he is being trashed for trashing McCain qualifications for President based on military experience then................

Let me check the name of the thread again? Thus if what Clark says is irrelevant then ignore the thread for it is irrelevant.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:03 PM

I don't think it was seeing Top Gun to often I suspect it may have been one to many Tail Hook parties.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Duhhhhhhhhh? This thread is about him and his comments on McCain. So that makes him 100% relevant within the context of the thread since its about him! Now as I said if he is being trashed for trashing McCain qualifications for President based on military experience then................

Let me check the name of the thread again? Thus if what Clark says is irrelevant then ignore the thread for it is irrelevant.
Comparing Clark to McCain is irrelevant. Clark isn't a candidate.

Clark (on Obama's behalf) said discount McCain's military experience.

Clark's credibility in being able to make and substantiate this statement can be called into question based upon his own background.

However, Obama has no leadership experience.

If you discount McCain's military experience Obama still has no leadership experience.

Not that difficult to understand.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,621,664 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't have any problem understanding the issue. The problem is some of you being unwilling to accept that Obama has significantly less leadership experience than McCain.

If it isn't relevant to your evaluation of the candidates, that is certainly your prerogative. However, Clark's statements are irrelevant to this factual statement.

Imagine that. Another off topic post to divert from the intent and purpose of this thread. This thread is to discuss senator McCain's experience for the position he is running for, on the platform he has chosen. General Clark's statements are relevant if for no other reason than this is what this thread is about.

Senator McCain's supporters are having a notoriously difficult time answering the charges levied. One would think it would be a simple matter to roll out ton's of examples from years of legislative and leadership experience.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,621,664 times
Quote:

Proof? A link, or video, please.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,086,365 times
Quote:
Comparing Clark to McCain is irrelevant. Clark isn't a candidate.

Clark's credibility in being able to make and substantiate this statement can be called into question based upon his own background.

However, Obama has no leadership experience.

If you discount McCain's military experience Obama still has no leadership experience.

Not that difficult to understand.
Clark did not say to discount John McCain's military experience. When asked if Sen MCCain was a hero, he intimated that POW status does not automatically qualify one for President.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Proof? A link, or video, please.
You think that Clark does this on his own. Obama threw Clark under the bus today, and now the Republicans have picked up on this pattern. So Obama has folks do the dirty work and then Obama pretends to be above the fray.

Obama looks like a typical politician to me, I don't see him as an agent of change.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Look who put the screws to the brave airman and the politicalization of the Tail Hook incident years ago? Who without military experience slandered these brave warriors?
Witch Hunt In The Navy (http://www.jameswebb.com/articles/nytimes/navywitchhunt.htm - broken link)

There is indeed a larger issue at work here, but it is not the one Mr. O'Keefe mentioned. Mr. O'Keefe, a budgeteer who has yet to sit for Senate confirmation of his post and who has never served in the military, decided after conferring with Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, who likewise has never served, that he has the moral authority to discredit the cultural ethos of the entire Navy based on the conduct of a group of drunken, aviators in a hotel suite.

Wow oh wow and Clark gets slammed for mere words and Cheyny gets heralded and becomes vice president for political expediency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections