Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,709,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Hmmm . . . if you Lefties hate censorship, then I certainly hope you are doing your part to protest the Muslims, who send death threats to Barnes & Noble, newspaper organizations, and other media outlets every time anything gets published that they don't like. An author who wrote a fictional account of Mo's wife Aisha just had her book and contract pulled by a well known publishing house due to Muslim violence. I certainly hope that you don't back down from Muslims on this free speech issue . . . cause if you did, that would make you . . . um . . . hypocrites!

(and cowards too)
I don't support censorship of ANY kind. Way to try and tie this into Muslims. Also, there is a big difference between a retail chain deciding not to sell a book, or a publisher deciding not to publish it, because they don't want bad press, and the Government trying to BAN books at LIBRARIES.

A store deciding to not sell a book is a financial decision. While I think it is weak and ridiculous, that is not Government censorship.

What are your thoughts on Palin attempting to ban books from libraries? Try to answer without falling back to Muslims or comparisons to the left.

What are your thoughts on this specific action by Palin, and the firing of the librarian for objecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,672,932 times
Let's not skip over (just cuz we luv The One) this Obama and Gang intimidation tactic:

WorldNetDaily - A Free Press for a Free People

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,051,692 times
Quote:
Hmmm . . . if you Lefties hate censorship, then I certainly hope you are doing your part to protest the Muslims, who send death threats to Barnes & Noble, newspaper organizations, and other media outlets every time anything gets published that they don't like. An author who wrote a fictional account of Mo's wife Aisha just had her book and contract pulled by a well known publishing house due to Muslim violence. I certainly hope that you don't back down from Muslims on this free speech issue . . . cause if you did, that would make you . . . um . . . hypocrites!

(and cowards too)
There is a distinct difference between a private group of people (i.e. "Muslims") protesting certain books and a governmental entity (i.e. Sarah Palin's Mayoral administration) banning books. One is protesting and the other is censorship.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,988,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What are your thoughts on Palin attempting to ban books from libraries? Try to answer without falling back to Muslims or comparisons to the left. What are your thoughts on this specific action, and the firing of the librarian for objecting?
so many people here just won't answer the question, and try to throw some bizarre other argument into the mix. We saw what happened when Tucker tried to do that to Campbell Brown.

There's no shame in simply saying "I don't know. I just found out about Palin when the rest of you did."

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,896,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I don't support censorship of ANY kind. Way to try and tie this into Muslims. Also, there is a big difference between a retail chain deciding not to sell a book, or a publisher deciding not to publish it, because they don't want bad press, and the Government trying to BAN books at LIBRARIES.

A store deciding to not sell a book is a financial decision. While I think it is weak and ridiculous, that is not Government censorship.
Oh you do, do you? How about when the end result is EXACTLY the same -- books are not made available to the public, and stories/cartoons are not made available to newspaper readership. Publishers and media are backing down, not because of a "business decision," but from FEAR FOR THEIR LIVES. Muslims are using intimidation and violence, and where are the *******s through all this??

Remember the burning cars in Europe, the bombs at the embassies, the death threats? Remember Salman Rushdie living in seclusion? How about Aayin Hirsi Ali? Dr. Wafa Sultan? (The New York Slimes did the honor of outing Dr. Sultan's residence and workplace, in order to aid their buddies, the Islamists).

When businesses and news organizations cower to extremist groups, THAT IS CENSORSHIP. It may be the censorship of cowardice rather than the censorship of law, but the end result is the same. Is that okay with you?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Let's not skip over (just cuz we luv The One) this Obama and Gang intimidation tactic:

WorldNetDaily - A Free Press for a Free People
What does this have to do with Sarah Palin banning books? Not relevant to this thread.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,896,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
There is a distinct difference between a private group of people (i.e. "Muslims") protesting certain books and a governmental entity (i.e. Sarah Palin's Mayoral administration) banning books. One is protesting and the other is censorship.
No, sweetie, it is not "protesting." It's violent intimidation.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Oh you do, do you? How about when the end result is EXACTLY the same -- books are not made available to the public, and stories/cartoons are not made available to newspaper readership. Publishers and media are backing down, not because of a "business decision," but for FEAR OF THEIR LIVES. Muslims are using intimidation and violence, and where are the *******s through all this??

Remember the burning cars, the bombs at the embassies, the death threats? Remember Salman Rushdie living in seclusion? How about Aayin Hirsi Ali? Dr. Wafa Sultan? (The New York Slimes did the honor of outing Dr. Sultan's residence and workplace, in order to aid their buddies, the Islamists).

When businesses and news organizations cower to extremist groups, THAT IS CENSORSHIP. It may be the censorship of cowardice rather than the censorship of law, but the end result is the same. Is that okay with you?
You do not understand what censorship is. A private organization deciding to not sell a book because of bad press is not censorship. That is their right as a private organization. A Governmental organization banning books at a public library, is, indeed censorship.

I, personally, think it's stupid for a bookstore to cower to anyone, but money talks to them, and a privately owned organization can make whatever decision they please. If I disagree with them, I will not patronize that bookstore. If 5 customers protest my store saying they don't like me selling pink scarves, and I decide to remove the pink scarves rather than deal with them and potentially lose customers, that's my decision as a business owner, it's not censorship.

You still have not answered my question regarding Sarah Palin attempting to ban books. I'm going to guess since you hate the Muslims attempting to stop publishing of books, you must really not like Palin doing this right?

I'm going to ask again:
What are your thoughts on this specific action by Palin, and the firing of the librarian for objecting?

Can you answer without mentioning "libs" or Muslims?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,133,911 times
So are you suggesting that, as a country, our new motto should be; "At least we aren't as bad as terrorist?"

Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 AM

I have to think, considering she is so angry about Muslims protesting books, she must be absolutely disgusted by the fact that Palin wanted to outright ban books, and fired a librarian for objecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections