Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
.. because Biden will be in Washington and Sarah, after her loss, back to Alaska.
.. unfortunately, I need some hair implants too
You're right about one thing. Biden will indeed be back in Washington.

Joe is quietly hedging his bets by running for his Senate seat AND VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,483,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
She is very popular and Karl Rove has said this campaign is about personality and not issues and he seems to be steering a successful path right now.
Karl Rove? He's credible.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,483,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
bill gates was a college dropout. the moral of the story? who cares.
Yeah, but Bill Gates is the CEO (was) of a huge company. Sarah Palin would be co-leader of the United States, working for the people. It demands a greater scrutiny, greater investigation, and the position is much more demanding.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,080,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
Palin's Experience - SourcePalin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska city council from 1992 to 1996, then won two terms as mayor of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002. After an unsuccessful campaign for lieutenant governor of Alaska in 2002, she chaired and served as Ethics Supervisor of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 to 2004.
Elected governor of Alaska in November 2006, Palin became the first woman and the youngest person to hold the office.[6] She defeated incumbent Republican governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary and former Democratic governor Tony Knowles in the general election.

Budget and spending - Source

Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased by the Murkowski administration for $2.7 million in 2005 on a state government credit account against the wishes of the Legislature. In August 2007 the jet was listed on eBay; no buyer was found on eBay, and the plane was later sold for $2.1 million through a private brokerage firm to a campaign contributer.[62][63]
In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history.[64] At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.[65]
Palin continues to live in Wasilla eschewing the customary perks of her office. She does not use the the Governor's private chef, whom Palin transferred to the Lounge of the State Legislature.[66] Palin has instead charged the state a per diem for the 312 nights she has spent at home and for her family's travel expenses, mostly between Juneau and Wasilla

Obama has been a state legislature and senator. He has done nothing else. - Source

I think a woman as aggressive as Ladin is EXACTLY what america needs. she has pulled my mccain vote.
Well let's see, I for one am not in the least impressed by someone who was mayor and city council person of a town of 6500 odd people. SORRY!

So she's served as governor for 18 months of a state that honestly is SMALLER THAN MOST AMERICAN SUBURBS! Hello people! Get real! I am NOT impressed!

Palin sold the plane for $2 million but then she bills thousands to the state on airline fees for her ENTIRE FAMILY. Okee dokie. Frankly, TIME IS MONEY! It may be cheaper in the long run and better for the state to use the damn jet. Dont be penney wise and pound foolish! Sheesh.

So she signed into law the BIGGEST BUDGET IN THE STATE'S HISTORY, and I am to be impressed because she then cut funding for construction projects that were obviously needed in that undeveloped state? Okay! That sounds really great. If the highways are anything like around here, I would hope she at least gets some federal funds so people can get around.

Keep in mind that she supported that bridge to no where until it was ridiculed by the American public. She is a FLIP FLOPPER if I ever saw one!

So what's the difference between per diem charges for her entire family to be in THEIR OWN HOUSE rather than use the chef. Again, time is money. If you're the governor of a state and have 5 children, MAYBE YOU'D BE WISE TO SPEND A FEW BUCKS ON SOME HELP. Duh! Again, penny wise and pound foolish.

BTW, if you are unimpressed with Obama's background, then I am totally unclear why you would be impressed with McCain's since he also has no executive experience. KEEP IN MIND THAT IT IS MCCAIN, NOT PALIN, WHO IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. haha

Old 09-09-2008, 03:38 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,831,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You're right about one thing. Biden will indeed be back in Washington.

Joe is quietly hedging his bets by running for his Senate seat AND VP.
Don't give up that day job, Joe. Perhaps the big "change" will come during your 37th year as senator.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,335,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
Palin's Experience - Source

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska city council from 1992 to 1996, then won two terms as mayor of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002. After an unsuccessful campaign for lieutenant governor of Alaska in 2002, she chaired and served as Ethics Supervisor of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 to 2004.
Elected governor of Alaska in November 2006, Palin became the first woman and the youngest person to hold the office.[6] She defeated incumbent Republican governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary and former Democratic governor Tony Knowles in the general election.

Budget and spending - Source

Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased by the Murkowski administration for $2.7 million in 2005 on a state government credit account against the wishes of the Legislature. In August 2007 the jet was listed on eBay; no buyer was found on eBay, and the plane was later sold for $2.1 million through a private brokerage firm to a campaign contributer.[62][63]
In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history.[64] At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.[65]
Palin continues to live in Wasilla eschewing the customary perks of her office. She does not use the the Governor's private chef, whom Palin transferred to the Lounge of the State Legislature.[66] Palin has instead charged the state a per diem for the 312 nights she has spent at home and for her family's travel expenses, mostly between Juneau and Wasilla

Obama has been a state legislature and senator. He has done nothing else. - Source

I think a woman as aggressive as Ladin is EXACTLY what america needs. she has pulled my mccain vote.
You go into detail about Palin's experience and dismiss Obama's in one sentence. Come on, get real.

This is more accurate:

Palin
B.S. in Journalism from the University of Idaho minored in Political Science
4 years on city council of Wasilla, Alaska (pop: ~8,471)
6 years as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska
1 year as chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
2 years as Governor of Alaska (pop: ~683,478)

Obama
B.A. in Political Science from Columbia University spec. International Relations
3 years as director of Developing Communities Project in Chicago
Former editor of the Harvard Law Review
J.D. from Harvard
12 years teaching Constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School
8 years as senator of Chicago's 13th district (pop: ~781,037)
2005-Current US Senator of Illinois (pop: ~12,852,548)

Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,204,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Well let's see, I for one am not in the least impressed by someone who was mayor and city council person of a town of 6500 odd people. SORRY!

So she's served as governor for 18 months of a state that honestly is SMALLER THAN MOST AMERICAN SUBURBS! Hello people! Get real! I am NOT impressed!

Palin sold the plane for $2 million but then she bills thousands to the state on airline fees for her ENTIRE FAMILY. Okee dokie. Frankly, TIME IS MONEY! It may be cheaper in the long run and better for the state to use the damn jet. Dont be penney wise and pound foolish! Sheesh.

So she signed into law the BIGGEST BUDGET IN THE STATE'S HISTORY, and I am to be impressed because she then cut funding for construction projects that were obviously needed in that undeveloped state? Okay! That sounds really great. If the highways are anything like around here, I would hope she at least gets some federal funds so people can get around.

Keep in mind that she supported that bridge to no where until it was ridiculed by the American public. She is a FLIP FLOPPER if I ever saw one!

So what's the difference between per diem charges for her entire family to be in THEIR OWN HOUSE rather than use the chef. Again, time is money. If you're the governor of a state and have 5 children, MAYBE YOU'D BE WISE TO SPEND A FEW BUCKS ON SOME HELP. Duh! Again, penny wise and pound foolish.

BTW, if you are unimpressed with Obama's background, then I am totally unclear why you would be impressed with McCain's since he also has no executive experience. KEEP IN MIND THAT IT IS MCCAIN, NOT PALIN, WHO IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. haha
"You must spread some reputation around"

Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Just to add to my previous post.

According to US News:

Columbia University where Obama received his B.A in Political Science is ranked the 8th best college in the nation.

Harvard, where he was editor for the Harvard Law Review and where he received his J.D. is ranked 1st in the nation.

University of Chicago where he taught for 12 years is ranked along side Columbia at number 8.

University of Idaho is ranked - I can't find it.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Just to add to my previous post.

According to US News:

Columbia University where Obama received his B.A in Political Science is ranked the 8th best college in the nation.

Harvard, where he was editor for the Harvard Law Review and where he received his J.D. is ranked 1st in the nation.

University of Chicago where he taught for 12 years is ranked along side Columbia at number 8.

[img]
University of Idaho is ranked - I can't find it.
It's in Idaho.

If you get lucky, you'll have a chance to visit there someday.

p.s. You won't want to leave....

Old 09-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's in Idaho.

If you get lucky, you'll have a chance to visit there someday.

p.s. You won't want to leave....
Well, "it" was referring to University of Idaho's ranking but thanks for that bit of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections