Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,635,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
No, I am not missing it.

If you were studying you would survey people instead of telling them what they think. I have never heard of ANY field of study (spent 6 full years in college) that is based upon 100% opinion of the author.
You are trying to discuss an issue with the use of facts, which are a completely alien concept to the McCant supporters. Facts have no place in any discussion they might be engage in, they deal in fear, fear mongering, and just flat out lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM

9,325 posts, read 22,080,328 times
Running from someone that voted over 90% of the time in support of Bush may not be such a bad thing. People are entitled to vote how they see fit.. no problem there.

McCain to his discredit, did not do enough to distance himself from W.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-04-2008 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM

8,995 posts, read 11,882,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
What do you expect people to do?

George W. Bush IS a Republican. John S. McCain IS a Republican. Dick Cheney IS a Republican. Sarah Palin IS a Republican.

I'm an Independent voter. I have had it with the way Republicans have ran the government for the past 8 years. Why, oh why, should I vote for them again?

I am not afraid of Obama's name, I am not afraid of the color of his skin, I do not care about his religion, and Bill Ayers and the Rev Wright have never occupied public office and they are not going to be in his cabinet.

I work for a living, and I had to pay a nice chunk of money in taxes last year. McCain is not going to lighten my taxes. Obama might.

The Republicans haven't had an original idea in ages. McCain said he's not Bush. I say "really?" When you're best friends with Phil Gramm and ask him for economic advice that shows your true colors, my friend. Having Joe Lieberman behind him is not very helpful either.

According to a lot of Republican pundits, Obama has run an amazing campaign. They've found it to be very well organized, focused, disciplined and effective. THAT shows executive abilities. McCain's campaign has been chaotic. Some executive he'll make.

Your train of thought reminds me of those poor abused women who show up in my ER after being beaten up by their partner/husband. They get beaten over and over again, yet they won't leave the abuser because they're "scared", or "I need him-what am I going to do without him", or "he told me he won't do it again" and the proverbial doozie "deep down I know he loves me". Yeah, right. You know what? The only chance those women have of staying alive is to run away. Yes, run away in the middle of the night into the big, dark, scary unknown. Sometimes, if you want to survive or get ahead, you just have to take chances.

The economy is in shambles. Jobs are disappearing left and right. The deficit is outrageous. People are already scared about their future. All the Republicans are doing is offering more fear. People already have enough fear of their own. They don't need any more of it, and the GOP doesn't get that.

I made a calculated decision regarding my vote. Eight long years of saying one thing and doing another is ENOUGH for me, thank you. I am fed up with the Republican Brand. I don't know what else to tell you. I didn't damage the brand; the Democrats didn't damage the brand. GWB and company damaged the brand. Then, you are annoyed that some people don't want to buy the Republican Brand anymore and prefer to try something else instead. Well, that's the free market for you.

You think that Obama will be worse than the Republicans. That is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I happen to disagree.

I'm not going to ask for another four years of Republican abuse. Obama is offering some kind of hope. The Republicans are offering fear and a very bad track record.

Well, fear and I just don't get along. If I had let fear rule my life, I would have never gotten anywhere.
Great post! Obama supporters should be proud to have someone like you on their side.

I haven't read one post as intelligent and reasonable as yours from the other side. If they have learned anything by now, they should know that most people will see through the misinformation, fear mongering and character attacks and won't stand for it.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,635,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I see the problem with the Obama supporters.
Actually you don't, all you see is that hatred, lies, and name calling from the McCain slander machine.

You don't see that McCain is just a Bush, same tax cuts only for the rich, and more ways to tax everyone else (such as the healthcare tax), and a ***** to big corporations.

If Bush/McCain cause people to turn away from the path we have been on for the past 8 years, it shows they have been paying attention, and recognize it is a destructive path. The coup de gras was Palin, causing people to run away screaming in total fear.

But come on, lets hear your plethora of lies in rebuttal, it is the schtick of the McNasty & Falin crowd

Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,734,398 times
After Katriana, I remember many criticisms about Bush's handling of it. I think that was a turning point for many republicans against Bush.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I see the problem with the Obama supporters. They are so desperate to get away from Bush that they will run to ANYTHING. They don't care what that ANYTHING is, just as long as it's not Rebublican. That is a very dangerous road to take. They are willing to latch on to anybody and anything and blindly follow just to get away from the Republicans. Very often, people who do that, in any situation, end up in worse circumstances than those they were running from. Instead of taking the time to take a serious look at who and what they are running to, they just flee without thought. Obama isn't your only choice to get away from Bush. Remember that when you go to vote, if you haven't already.
You do realize that your tone and comments regarding voting for ANYTHING just perpetuates the vitriol between opposing supporters...I am voting Obama, based on certain issues, not because I am some blind sheep (I have voted Republican in the past). I respect those McCain posters who are voting for McCain on real issues as well. Like his stance on the war, his healthcare plan, etc. I do not agree with his policies and do not have time for posters who claim support for McCain based on "muslim" end of days and Bill Ayers rhetoric. I see this as blind, kool-aid drinkiing dogma. I support Obama because I believe in his approach to diplomacy, having a timeline for withdrawal, his economic plan and approach to healthcare. You might disagree with me, but for Republicans sake, posts such as yours have defined a tipping point that has been reached in the present day electorate: deriding opposing opinions as idiots (fleeing without thought) only serves to spurn the electorate from your candidate. What Democrat would read your post as anything but insulting? Does this help further the points you are trying to make on your candidate's behalf? Does it unite voters to consider your viewpoint? The answer of course is no...and why so many voters, many arguably "uninformed" are running away from a campaign who's only lasting impression is one of bashing the other guy, not standing for anything.

Good luck rallying people to consider your viewpoint after making sweeping insults about them...

Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 AM

703 posts, read 858,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Well I forgive all of you but you arent running from Bush. You are running from what the media tells you to run from. The obama folk most everywhere I go, including here, are just responding to what the media has fed them for years. You are incabable of thinking for yourselves and lapping up what couric, gibson, olbberman and the rest feed you like puppy dogs. I cant blame you for following the Bush bashing thats been piped into your houses every night as you sit infront of the tube with a keyboard in your lap a glazed over drool as they tell you how bad your life sux. And the media is just trying to generate ratings as they kept you all in a stir with the negative bashing so they might keep their jobs. Now we sit here on voting day and watch the obamatrons march off lock step to the polls, devoid of any individuality or esteem and pull the ticket like you were programmed to do.
I'm not running from anything.

I haven't voted repub since 1988.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Well I forgive all of you but you arent running from Bush. You are running from what the media tells you to run from. The obama folk most everywhere I go, including here, are just responding to what the media has fed them for years. You are incabable of thinking for yourselves and lapping up what couric, gibson, olbberman and the rest feed you like puppy dogs. I cant blame you for following the Bush bashing thats been piped into your houses every night as you sit infront of the tube with a keyboard in your lap a glazed over drool as they tell you how bad your life sux. And the media is just trying to generate ratings as they kept you all in a stir with the negative bashing so they might keep their jobs. Now we sit here on voting day and watch the obamatrons march off lock step to the polls, devoid of any individuality or esteem and pull the ticket like you were programmed to do.
Its posts like these that assure all Democrats that Republicans will have a tough time recruiting new members...so warm and encouraging regarding your candidate's stance on issues, and policies/platform.

**Come join the party that claims Democrats blame everyone but themselves and watch as we blame the Mainstream Media and gotcha questions for our platforms demise...real accountability.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,038,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
You must have had a golden parachute

No Golden Parachute here. Just plain hard work and long hours. Works everytime! You can only blame yourself if you are not successful. Now I must go vote.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM

511 posts, read 660,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
No Golden Parachute here. Just plain hard work and long hours. Works everytime! You can only blame yourself if you are not successful. Now I must go vote.
Tell that to the MILLIONS of American who WORK full-time and have been laid off their jobs because the factory packed up and moved to another country.
You need to get a clue Mr. -----Maybe watch the news about the sorry state MOST Americans are in right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections