Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times

Advertisements

That map is most likely propaganda. Why does it say "while the rest of the country shifted Democratic". Massachussetts also voted more Republican. So What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ozark and Appalachia Hillbillies.

Another thing to note: Arkansas.

If I had to guess, Arkansas Democrats were especially pissed about Hillary's defeat. This map pretty much tells you geographically where PUMA was concentrated in: Southern states where Bill Clinton won in 92 and 96.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
I think you might be overestimating the "racist" demographic in those counties. Notice the one county in Colorado that went more strongly GOP in this election. I believe that one contains Colorado Springs, which is now a hotbed of Christian evangelical activism. Consider that the 2008 GOP-heavy counties highlighted on your map are those counties where the evangelical base, which was "energized" by having Palin on the ticket, was best mobilized to vote.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 PM

106 posts, read 471,012 times
Default Fear the Trolls

Sad ... what someone can do with some stat's (not confirmed), pretty picture (no demographics to support), and a bunch of hyperbole/conjuncture. Point to a some respected site/org that notes that Arkansas is the center of all things bigotry ... and I'll read with interest. But you did not prove or even offer any shred of information that 'Racism is alive and well in Arkansas'. Or for that matter anything other than 'feelings' based on personnel conversion (I guess) from contacts in Ft Smith.

I for one, will not put up with comments that you referenced and react with disdain with references to terms that demean any race ... my own or others. Personnel responsibility starts ... with the person ... and you can have a impact to the morals around you. One thing I have always enjoyed about the people of Arkansas is respect to others. The "face" of Arkansas you speak is not the one I represent nor allow of my family.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
This OP is a flamer and flat out WRONG. There are several states the South has ALWAYS been traditionally Republican and this time was no different. I suppose that the OP feels that TX, SC and GA are living back in the day as well because those states firmly voted for Mc Cain. Some people really need to do their research.

There's another thread bashing the co-habitating people can't adopt or foster Proposition that passed. I have no problem with a State wanting to try to create as stable an environment as possible for children who are already in a traumatic situation.

Now that California has for the third time voted against a parent's rights when it comes to their children, I'm almost ready to do anything that will get me to Arkansas.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

This map is pretty telling. Racism is alive and well in Arkansas. 1 in 4 Arkansans believe Obama is a Muslim, and 30%+ of the electorate listed race as an important factor in their vote for McCain. Arkansas has always been a pretty evenly split state between the Republican and Democrat until this year, when most states trended Democratic we trended sharply Republican. Why?

Many Arkansans are abhorred with the though of having a man of color in the White House. Racism abounds and its everywhere. Living in the Ft. Smith area, I've heard the N word thrown around like its 1957. People praise certain school districts because they don't have any "coloreds". People complain about Little Rock being a filthy God-forsaken place because that's where "all them blacks" live.

When, if ever, is this state going to move past skin color?
What?? I don't see Arkansas as a racist state at all...just because a state votes mostly Republican doesn't make it racist!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
90% of blacks voted for obama.
I guess that makes them racists.
90% of blacks vote Democrat every 4 years, DESPITE race.

Try again.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
This OP is a flamer and flat out WRONG. There are several states the South has ALWAYS been traditionally Republican and this time was no different. I suppose that the OP feels that TX, SC and GA are living back in the day as well because those states firmly voted for Mc Cain. Some people really need to do their research.

There's another thread bashing the co-habitating people can't adopt or foster Proposition that passed. I have no problem with a State wanting to try to create as stable an environment as possible for children who are already in a traumatic situation.

Now that California has for the third time voted against a parent's rights when it comes to their children, I'm almost ready to do anything that will get me to Arkansas.
I'm from Florida but relocated to Tennessee and this election in the South has left a horrible taste in my mouth and it's a big enough disappointment to get me out of the south with the next possible relocation.

I feel the election in Tennessee was pretty odd considering that Nashville and Memphis makeup roughly half of the states population and both ALWAYS vote Democrat, But McCain won with 57% of the vote.

I've had unfortunate run-ins as well with people that said they would never vote for a black man or woman for president, However, the biggest problem I've seen in the South for Obama is his stances on Abortion and Same sex marriages.

IMHO, Women have the right to choose and It's against gay peoples civil rights for them to be outlawed from marriage. This country was founded on FREEDOM OF RELIGION, not christianity. A courthouse performing a marriage ceremony is a government action, There is supposed to be a seperation of church and state and the same goes for prayer in schools but these things will never change in the south. Keep in mind, 40 years ago blacks were not allowed to vote and black/white marriages were outlawed in many states. That was unacceptable then and banning gay marriage is unacceptable now.

If you believe it's wrong then let their maker judge them.

Do not judge lest you be judged (Matthew 7:1)

The South will NEVER change, atleast not in the near future.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Smile Orange County & Arkansas have a lot in common

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yesterday's election transformed all of Southern California into majority-Democratic counties. Only Orange Co & remote Del Norte county are majority-Republican coastal counties. And only some Central Valley & sparsely populated Sierra counties are Republican.

When will Orange county go the way of all the other urban counties in California & become Democratic? Anyone embarrassed that Orange county is still Republican?
Orange County, California is being crucified by this same anti-democratic thinking that feels everyone must fall in line. It's a free country. I don't think these posters are actually democrats.

I guess "The OC" is still in 1878.

Last edited by joebaldknobber; 11-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: just words

Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
I just get tired of the negativity towards this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections