Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Put the -red- shoes on the boy and show him how to click his heels...
When will Arkansas ever look past homosexual issues. I feel like its 1832. If Barney Frank ever runs for president every Arkansan must vote for him or they are GD Homophobes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
In 1957, Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus called out his state's National Guard to block black students' entry to Little Rock High School.

That was just 50 years ago. Are you telling me that in 50 years one of the most backwards states in the union was able to turn everything around? Surely with Racism being in existence still, there would be a part of the country where it is most prevalent. Any rational person would realize that its far more common in Rural areas and in Appalachia where people are least evolved and most ignorant.
Explain to me how Arkansas is "one of the most backward states in the union". In plain language please enumerate the ways it is "backward'. I am thinking having common sense is eguated with backward ???? Perhaps you mean that the people here are not keeping up with the worldlyness of the other states?? If that is your definition, I hope we never catch up.

By the way, my oldest granddaughter is attending that High School that you speak of, and there are both blacks and whites in it. There are also both in the Martin Luther King Jr. schools that they all 3 attended. There is absolutely no racial problem in any of those schools now.

I resent your failure to recognize that things have changed. My white granddaughters are taught by black teachers, and have black friends.

Our son works for the State, in Little Rock, and car pools with a black lady from Malvern, where they both live. She is highly intelligent, and has a very 'high up' job.

LOL..." least evolved" ...yep, people here are still swinging from tree to tree !!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I voted for Obama. I hope he does great things for this country. God knows he couldn't make it any worse.

But I don't think everyone who voted for McCain is a racist. I think people choose an ideology and follow it. I think religious fanaticism and 'conservatism' are terribly flawed ideologies and have failed our nation horribly for eight years. Nevertheless, being a miserable failure doesn't necessarily make one a racist. I'm sure there are many good, non-racist folks who voted for McCain and his failed ideology.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
Default Racists also voted for Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I voted for Obama. I hope he does great things for this country. God knows he couldn't make it any worse.

But I don't think everyone who voted for McCain is a racist. I think people choose an ideology and follow it. I think religious fanaticism and 'conservatism' are terribly flawed ideologies and have failed our nation horribly for eight years. Nevertheless, being a miserable failure doesn't necessarily make one a racist. I'm sure there are many good, non-racist folks who voted for McCain and his failed ideology.
You are possibly still a racist if you voted for Obama simply because of issues.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
When will Arkansas ever look past homosexual issues. I feel like its 1832. If Barney Frank ever runs for president every Arkansan must vote for him or they are GD Homophobes.
So the movie - Wizard of Oz - is a tail about homosexual issues..
Are you a 'cracker' from the corn belt?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
In 1957, Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus called out his state's National Guard to block black students' entry to Little Rock High School.

That was just 50 years ago. Are you telling me that in 50 years one of the most backwards states in the union was able to turn everything around? Surely with Racism being in existence still, there would be a part of the country where it is most prevalent. Any rational person would realize that its far more common in Rural areas and in Appalachia where people are least evolved and most ignorant.
I take it you've never visited Arkansas.

Just 50 years ago, racism was prevalent all across the United States, not just in Arkansas. Arkansas is not a "backwards" state, and until you've lived here, you shouldn't be saying it is. Not all of Arkansas is rural, and none of it is in Appalachia.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,577 times
I dont think just because someone voted for McCain is a racist. But refering to the OP if Arkansas did turn sharply Republican I doubt that had to do with the issues.....South Caroline also turned SHARPLY Republican I honestly doubt that had anything to do with the issues either. This entire 8 page conversation is about WHY and HOW Arkansas trended Republican while the rest of the nation trended democratic if the OP's data is correct.....This is a good debate....and yes I am a Redneck ...JoeBaldknobber

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I take it you've never visited Arkansas.

Just 50 years ago, racism was prevalent all across the United States, not just in Arkansas. Arkansas is not a "backwards" state, and until you've lived here, you shouldn't be saying it is. Not all of Arkansas is rural, and none of it is in Appalachia.
thanks DC. We do have our rural areas, even states like Ca do, but you are right, we are not a bunch of dingbats (only some of us) most of us do not marry our cousins, we know how to enjoy ourselves, we do not have 3 old stoves and broken down cars on our front lawn and we don't even all say ya all!!!

Nita

Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,577 times
wow sounds like a fun place to vacation i'll bring my camera to take pics of these strange creatures

Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I think you might be overestimating the "racist" demographic in those counties. Notice the one county in Colorado that went more strongly GOP in this election. I believe that one contains Colorado Springs, which is now a hotbed of Christian evangelical activism. Consider that the 2008 GOP-heavy counties highlighted on your map are those counties where the evangelical base, which was "energized" by having Palin on the ticket, was best mobilized to vote.
While I suspect it is a little of what the OP is asserting, I also think this post is probably closer to the broader truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Then why would Kerry have done better there in 2004?
Xavierob, well there is still a bit of that, "damn yankee" attitude that runs through the map you posted. Both Appalachia and the Ozarks regions were populated by Irish and Scottish immigrants back in the late 18th and early 19tth century and have a long tradition of individualism. If you wish to test this out, just tell someone in very rural east Tennessee or South West Virginia, "up north we do it this way" and see the reaction you get. Its not as much out of any kind of hatred as it is out of, "well were not in Michigan, NY, etc..." attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections