Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times

Advertisements

i am so proud of what i have done. have not felt this good in a long time. as to the very conservative men who are my friends, i noticed all the george bush bumper stickers have disappeared and the reprimands for speaking up about the increasing national debt have stopped. 8 years ago they tore me up when i spoke my concern about a 3 trillion debt and a questionable war, now i get silence but i am glad i still see the angry post from time to time to remind me that we know deep down inside unlike john wayne, the hard right is never wrong, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM

241 posts, read 435,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
How could it have been worse? Let us count the ways.

Al Gore is elected president, and carries through his transition for 8 months (assuming the same Supreme Court kerfuffle delays the transition). September 11th happens, and Al Gore, instead of responding to the threat, continues with Bill Clinton's failed policy of police action rather than military against terrorism. In addition, he continues with his earth-saving cap & trade system.

Now, instead of a post-9/11 recession limited to the airlines, we have a full blown depression as industry and power companies are forced to bankruptcy or relocate out of the United States. With such a blow to the economy, jobless rates soar and the housing bubble bursts in '02. But after driving out the economic base, there's nothing to resurrect our stumbling economy.

But lets say that didn't happen, and President Bush was elected in '00. In 2004, he loses to John Kerry, who promises to pull out of Iraq faster than you can say "who deserves a purple heart for falling out of a boat?" Democratic advances in Iraq are stalled, and Iraq turns towards Iran. Iran swoops in, grabbing Iraqi scientists and resources and leaps forward to develop a nuclear weapon. The United States is left without a Middle East presence, shows no intent to defend our allies, and Israel is left to contend with a nuclear Iran which promises to wipe it off the map.

Of course, you're going to say that could never happen, Reverand Gore would have been wonderful for the economy and Senator "Blisters" Kerry would have used his tremendous experience to win the war in Iraq, bring the boys home, and save Lois Lane by spinning the Earth backwards.

But in my opinion, which is really what matters when I go to vote, George Bush was the best man for the job. You may disagree, and that is your right as an American.

Yes, when you compare the Bush Presidency versus your rich fantasy life that ascribes the worst possible outcome of a Gore presidency, the Bush Administration looks great. Of course, the Bush Administration can ONLY look great with a generous slathering of imagination applied to it.

27% approval rating. Why do your fellow Americans disagree with you so vehemently?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM

877 posts, read 2,078,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
Yes, when you compare the Bush Presidency versus your rich fantasy life that ascribes the worst possible outcome of a Gore presidency, the Bush Administration looks great. Of course, the Bush Administration can ONLY look great with a generous slathering of imagination applied to it.
OK, so please provide a historically accurate view of what the Gore or Kerry administration would have looked like. You are not allowed to make up anything, everything must be true and supported by proper references.

While you're at it, let me know what the lottery numbers are for next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
27% approval rating. Why do your fellow Americans disagree with you so vehemently?
What makes you think I approve of George Bush's presidency? He has done a lot of things, like appeasing the Fifth Column in the United States while trying to fight our enemies abroad. He has grown government and is betraying the ideals of capitalism and conservativism.

But he has also done some good things, such as the war on terror, cutting taxes, and his handling of the Clinton recession and the economic shock of 9/11 were well done.

Gore would have been worse on all fronts - economy, defense, and federal spending.

Everything isn't black and white.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
OK, so please provide a historically accurate view of what the Gore or Kerry administration would have looked like. You are not allowed to make up anything, everything must be true and supported by proper references.

Why would I do that? I was objecting just to such a fantasy scenario and pointing out that one needs to stretch one's imagination to believe the Bush presidency has been better than a hypothetical Gore or Kerry Presidency.

Quote:
But he has also done some good things, such as the war on terror, cutting taxes, and his handling of the Clinton recession and the economic shock of 9/11 were well done.

Gore would have been worse on all fronts - economy, defense, and federal spending.

Right, keep telling yourself everything isn't black and white, because nobody needs to reach that understanding more than yourself.

Again, you rely on fantasy to say a Gore presidency would have been worse. I don't know that presenting facts will dissuade you from fantasies which you cling to so dearly and stubbornly.

And finally, you and I clearly have very different ideas of foreign policy success. You define getting us into the longest foreign war in U.S. history with no clear issue from it as a success. I do not.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:

He's not allowed to make up anything, but you can make up anything you like? Everything in your what-if was true and supported by proper references?
True? It was fantasy!!! Supported by proper references? Fantasy needs no references!! But if you have real insight to the future, please let the rest of us know about those lottery numbers.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,990 times
How interesting the OP would quote Emilio Mola, using the phrase "Fifth Column".

Wow. Nice...

Quote:

What makes you think I approve of George Bush's presidency? He has done a lot of things, like appeasing the Fifth Column in the United States while trying to fight our enemies abroad. He has grown government and is betraying the ideals of capitalism and conservativism.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,741,179 times
Why? Has anyone thrown their shoes at him yet?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM

877 posts, read 2,078,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He's not allowed to make up anything, but you can make up anything you like? Everything in your what-if was true and supported by proper references?
Clearly you missed the point. That's OK, I understand that complex thought is difficult for most Democrats. I will explain it simply, step by step, so that even people who were fooled by the broken promises of the Obama campaign can follow.

First, I posted that I was proud of voting for Bush, because I was voting for the best man for the job.

Next, some resident crapstirrer says (paraphrasing) "how do you know he was better?"

The echo chamber responded, with "yeah" and "right on" and "you sure showed him!" and "he can't even explain his position!" within 5 minutes. Not surprising.

I then proceeded to defend my position, citing the basis for my opposition to the Gore and Kerry campaigns, specifically Al Gore's obsession with the hunt for Manbearpig and John Kerry's fear of confrontation with foreign nations.

The echo chamber responded accordingly: "the Bush Administration can ONLY look great with a generous slathering of imagination applied to it."

Therefore I raised the question to the responder to please provide a more detailed description of what a Gore or Kerry presidency would have been like. We all know that any speculation of a Gore or Kerry administration, even painted in broad strokes, must necessarily be speculation, in other words a "rich fantasy life."

To conclude then, any votes cast for president must necessarily be based on what an individual voter decides is the best course for our country. If any one has concrete information on whether Barack Obama or John McCain will be best for the nation, then they are welcome to share. But the future is necessarily unknown.

In short, you're free to sketch your own opinions about how the country should be run, and so am I.

As an aside to chaz longue, using vernacular coined by someone does not necessarily convey acceptance of that person's views. It is a well understood phrase which is shorthand for more detailed information. Being that you're an Obama supporter, I would understand if you don't understand this explanation, and I would be happy to use shorter words for you.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I then proceeded to defend my position, citing the basis for my opposition to the Gore and Kerry campaigns, specifically Al Gore's obsession with the hunt for Manbearpig and John Kerry's fear of confrontation with foreign nations.

The basis for your opposition was a fantasy.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:59 PM

472 posts, read 872,916 times
Quote:
For all those who helped elect a corrupt Chicago politician who seems to, along with his buddy the Illinois Governor, have taken the job to scam money for political appointments, are you embarassed by your decision yet?

The Obama administration, while promising to be forthcoming and transparent, has dodged reporters and refuses to release records regarding their involvement in the selling of our political future.

So are you embarassed yet, having fallen for the empty promises of Barack Obama? Or do you still hold out some slim sliver of hope that Barack Obama is going to follow through on any of his campaign promises?

The President-elect is showing himself for what he always was, a liar and a fraud, more interested in his own personal advancement than in improving our country. Hopefully in '12 all of you who voted for this empty suit will wake up and see that a candidate's record speaks louder than mindless rhetoric.
Why? Did he get a shoe thrown at him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections