Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times

Advertisements

Yeah I added in the Barney Frank quote to make a point - the overwhelming evidence points to the Democratic block of this oversight committee. Read the Slate article and look at the corruption in that department. If you and Sag want to live in a world of denial, please feel free too. Others of us more enlightened individuals who never let the wool get pulled over their eyes can see the clear truth here and are worried about Obama and the corruption in his party.

To saganista:

And yeah so Orson Scott Card is a Mormom Sci fi writer? This is your argument? You can't be serious unless you are a bigot against either Mormons or sci fi writers? OSC also happens to write weekly columns and seems to be rather more informed as a Democrat than you will ever be. I have a feeling he is a little more than worried about Obama too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Yeah I added in the Barney Frank quote to make a point - the overwhelming evidence points to the Democratic block of this oversight committee. Read the Slate article and look at the corruption in that department. If you and Sag want to live in a world of denial, please feel free too. Others of us more enlightened individuals who never let the wool get pulled over their eyes can see the clear truth here and are worried about Obama and the corruption in his party.

To saganista:

And yeah so Orson Scott Card is a Mormom Sci fi writer? This is your argument? You can't be serious unless you are a bigot against either Mormons or sci fi writers? OSC also happens to write weekly columns and seems to be rather more informed as a Democrat than you will ever be. I have a feeling he is a little more than worried about Obama too.

What block? You keep talking about a block, but you can't demonstrate that the Democrats ever blocked any legislation. And the Democrats were the minority party, they didn't have the power to block the legislation unless there were some Republicans opposed. That's the "reality" that you don't want to face.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I am not worried about Obama. I voted for him but have never viewed him as a "savior", "messiah" or any other type of deity. He is a man. A very intelligent, well educated and articulate man.

After the embarrassment of the past 8 years; after the near ruination of our country by the Bush administration, we can only see improvement in our future.

I believe it will take at least 2 years before we see measurable improvements because the hole we are in, as a country, is so deep.

No, I am not worried about Obama. I am, however, worried for him. I worry for him because racist behavior is still alive and well in many parts of this country. It's despicable that in 2009 we still have to worry about that segment of our population, but sadly we do.
Cosign, to the fullest...thank you for beating me to exactly what I was going to say.

I actually thought from the thread title that this would be about worrying for Obama's safety, myself. Ahh, foolish TabulaRasa...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Our country has no hope with Obama.
Obama is a closet muslim. Before you know it Islam will be declared America’s official religion. We’ll all be forced to grow beards and eat goat meat. Bibles will be illegal. Great Americans like Pat Robertson and Sean Hannity will be arrested. Churches will be demolished and replaced with mosques. No more NASCAR because camel races will be declared the national pastime. Arabs will always win American Idol and be regular guests in the White House every night. They’ll party until dawn, busting all the windows and shouting anti-American slogans. Rowdy, drunken gangs of terrorists will be driving down America’s streets, laughing and throwing bricks and bottles at all decent, white, god-fearing, patriotic Americans.
Our armed forces will be reduced so much that we’ll be so vulnerable that even countries like Bangladesh could defeat us. The United Nations will establish military posts in all states with foreign troops that will be transported in big, black helicopters to subdue any patriotic, white Americans. They’ll have complete authority to break down your door, raid your fridge, and jump and down on your sofa with their muddy boots. Resort spas, like Gitmo, will be shut down and we won’t be able to torture people any more.
Obama will increase taxes on decent, hard-working, white, patriotic Americans to unbearable levels, and then give it all to those lazy welfare crackheads, who are going to buy plasma TVs, Cadillacs, Air Jordans, and cheap perfume. All with our hard earned money. The crackheads will make illegitimate babies all night, sleep all day and be chauffeured (by white guys) to the welfare office to pick up their huge checks.
Just like those Democrats Obama is a traitor commie too. Better get used to having our cities being renamed, like New Yorknik, Chicagograd, Washingkov, and Los Angelinsky. They also have a plan to erect a 100 foot statue of Lenin in front of our nation’s capitol. On his head they’re going to put an antenna to broadcast Radio Moscow.
You might think this is all funny, but just wait until it happens, you won’t be laughing anymore.
Take my warning seriously. I know what I’m talking about. I’m an honors graduate of the Limbaugh Institute For Advanced Conservative Studies.
Our only hope is groups of flag-waving, god fearing, patriotic, white guys with guns and ammo gathering in groups to barricade themselves in compounds all over the USA.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
I'm worried about his safety

I'm worried that the challenges he is being handed may be insurmountable

Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
I never said it was a bill. Read this please:
Read back through your own [White House propaganda] list. Which entries point to a proposal for actual operational reform of the GSE's and which merely confirm the administration's desire to rein them in so as to create more market space for the Wall Street whizkids who ended up manufacturing the credit crunch?

Republicans had control of Congress on an almost uninterupted basis from 1995 until 2007. That's twelve years. What measures did they pass in that time to reform the operations of the GSE's? Answer: There wasn't a single one. They did nothing.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
My "worry" is that any questioning of the new administration will be picked apart as partisan or racist instead of wary prudence. That was all too common during the campaigns, even when such inquiries were justly founded.

Am I worried about our country under the new administration? Not really. Naysayers will either be proved partly wrong or the believers partly right. And there will be another election...

However, I must back the comments that there was a cult-like euphoria concerning our President-elect. I understand that this seems somewhat immature and an attack on Obama, but actually it concerned a certain civil population that was/is so desperate for *any* change that the mere suggestion of one by a strikingly charismatic figure was enough to carry the movement. These are the believers who could not fully illustrate what their choice stood for or how they might understand the impact to effect them. It would just be better than it was before. It had to be.

It seems all that logical stuff got lost somewhere behind the gloss, because it CAN always get worse.

If not Obama, it could have easily been someone else...we folk get kinda weird with our perceptions of human ability.

If you deny it, say it wasn't so, you must not have been looking that way. I saw it clearly as both major parties made me tremble...and not with delight.

If he stays close to the center and does not flirt so much with the idea of a more socialized America, we may see some positive outcome from this. Then again, to satisfy me he needs to further promote the idea of personal responsibility - something I do not associate with either the modern Republicans or the Democrats. Something I don't see bailouts as necessarily encouraging, needed or not. And mandated community service is not exactly what I had in mind...prefering communities seeing fit to appropriately organize themselves without government interference, er, direction.

How about we all stop sniveling and focus on the country, taking valid recommendations from where-ever they might arise. Otherwise, I do not see how we might pull ourselves up from the gutter.

Good luck to you all, and a polite dose of elbow grease.

Sincerely,
Third Party.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visvaldis View Post
our country has no hope with obama.
Obama is a closet muslim. Before you know it islam will be declared america’s official religion. We’ll all be forced to grow beards and eat goat meat. Bibles will be illegal. Great americans like pat robertson and sean hannity will be arrested. Churches will be demolished and replaced with mosques. No more nascar because camel races will be declared the national pastime. Arabs will always win american idol and be regular guests in the white house every night. They’ll party until dawn, busting all the windows and shouting anti-american slogans. Rowdy, drunken gangs of terrorists will be driving down america’s streets, laughing and throwing bricks and bottles at all decent, white, god-fearing, patriotic americans.
Our armed forces will be reduced so much that we’ll be so vulnerable that even countries like bangladesh could defeat us. The united nations will establish military posts in all states with foreign troops that will be transported in big, black helicopters to subdue any patriotic, white americans. They’ll have complete authority to break down your door, raid your fridge, and jump and down on your sofa with their muddy boots. Resort spas, like gitmo, will be shut down and we won’t be able to torture people any more.
Obama will increase taxes on decent, hard-working, white, patriotic americans to unbearable levels, and then give it all to those lazy welfare crackheads, who are going to buy plasma tvs, cadillacs, air jordans, and cheap perfume. All with our hard earned money. The crackheads will make illegitimate babies all night, sleep all day and be chauffeured (by white guys) to the welfare office to pick up their huge checks.
Just like those democrats obama is a traitor commie too. Better get used to having our cities being renamed, like new yorknik, chicagograd, washingkov, and los angelinsky. They also have a plan to erect a 100 foot statue of lenin in front of our nation’s capitol. On his head they’re going to put an antenna to broadcast radio moscow.
You might think this is all funny, but just wait until it happens, you won’t be laughing anymore.
Take my warning seriously. I know what i’m talking about. I’m an honors graduate of the limbaugh institute for advanced conservative studies.
Our only hope is groups of flag-waving, god fearing, patriotic, white guys with guns and ammo gathering in groups to barricade themselves in compounds all over the usa.
:d

Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
I REALLY hope he does well as President but I too am worried for most of the reasons already posted on this thread.

Have you ever seen the majority of the mainstream media handle a politician with silk gloves before? Usually they are ready to pounce on the smallest things. However, over the course of the last year, the man could do not wrong in the media. Anything negative that did come out was quickly glossed over. Anyone who dared speak out against Obama was verbally attacked. Will this continue? I find that worrisome.

Carol Marin, political editor at NBC5 in Chicago and columnist at the Chicago Sun wrote an interesting piece on January 3, 2009:
Quote:
As ferociously as we march like villagers with torches against Blagojevich, we have been, in the true spirit of the Bizarro universe, the polar opposite with the president-elect. Deferential, eager to please, prepared to keep a careful distance.
The Obama news conferences tell that story, making one yearn for the return of the always-irritating Sam Donaldson to awaken the slumbering press to the notion that decorum isn't all it's cracked up to be.
The press corps, most of us, don't even bother raising our hands any more to ask questions because Obama always has before him a list of correspondents who've been advised they will be called upon that day.
We reporters have earned our own membership in the Bizarro universe.
Who are we, after all? The ones rapid-firing at Rod Blagojevich with tough questions until we drive him from the room? Or the Miss Manners crowd, silent until called upon, quietly accepting that only a handful of questions will be taken at a time?Obama, Blago and Bizarro Plotline - Carol Marin
I think it is wonderful for the President to be honored by the citizens, but I find the over-the-top hero worshipping worrisome. Being called the messiah, Moses, a national hero, king, etc. -- OMG.
It is wonderful that the glass ceiling has been broken, but what has he done already to deserve these labels? I honestly hope he (and Congress - we don't live in a dictatorship) do wonderful things.

I find it worrisome that the media and so many exhibit a blind Hail Hitler mentality. Let's hope the respect remains but balance enters back into the picture.

Last edited by vec101; 01-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
I never said it was a bill. Read this please:

New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - New York Times

.......... donors.
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections