Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Unfortunately, for the Republicans, the nation, and especially Jeb, Dubya has so sullied the Bush family's legacy of public service to such an extent that it can only be seen as being radioactive, to be handled with upmost care and caution due to its toxicity. Which in many ways is quiet sad.

Jeb would have been a formidable challenger to Obama, more so than any Republican or Democrat short of Hillary Clinton that I can think of. That being said, Jeb could play an important role in rebuilding the party as long as he doesn't do so in the capacity of a presidential candidate. Thoughtful, intelligent, and by no means one to resort to the hyperbolic language of the current gaggle of GOP leaders, Jeb is precisely the kind of leader the GOP needs in this period. But will they heed his advice? Somehow I doubt it as the other potential leaders keeping playing to base in an effort to position themselves for the primaries.
Yeah I pretty much agree.
Unlike his brother GW, Jeb is not a dummy.
He is fairly smart and quite articulate (how much UNLIKE Junior is THAT????). I don't agree with the guy's political stances all that much, but at least he would make an intelligent candidate.

Unfortunately for him, the Bush name is pretty much in the toilet.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
I like Jeb Bush. He's certainly a smarter politician than George was. But the GOP needs to step away from the Bush thing altogether. If they want to do town hall meetings and hear the voices of the people, then what harm is that? If it's like a task force, great. No harm, no foul. But hopefully none of them will run for POTUS in 2012.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
The Bush family has never served the public. They have always lived on public largess created by their poiltical activites. They are primarily bankers and war mongers. Every damn one of them and their ancestors made the money off the suffering of others.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I like Jeb Bush. He's certainly a smarter politician than George was. But the GOP needs to step away from the Bush thing altogether.
Yeah, unfortunately for Jeb (and America for that matter) the wrong Bush ran for President. I doubt that I would have voted for Jeb, but I'd be willing to bet that he would not have been the massive screw-up his brother has been.

Ken

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,083,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, unfortunately for Jeb (and America for that matter) the wrong Bush ran for President. I doubt that I would have voted for Jeb, but I'd be willing to bet that he would not have been the massive screw-up his brother has been.

Ken
I covered Jeb's two gubernatorial campaigns for certain South Florida newspaper that will go unmentioned. On both occasions, I had the opportunity to spend several weeks at a time with him while on the road. If he had run not lost his first campaign against Lawton Chiles he was the odds on favorite to run for the presidency in 2000 and given the political landscape at the time I would have in all likelihood would have voted for him despite some fundamental policy disagreements. I found him that engaging, intelligent and open to new ideas and perspectives.

I will also state with great confidence that he would have heeded his father's and his father's former advisor's advice and would not have ventured into the ill-conceived war in Iraq.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I covered Jeb's two gubernatorial campaigns for certain South Florida newspaper that will go unmentioned. On both occasions, I had the opportunity to spend several weeks at a time with him while on the road. If he had run not lost his first campaign against Lawton Chiles he was the odds on favorite to run for the presidency in 2000 and given the political landscape at the time I would have in all likelihood would have voted for him despite some fundamental policy disagreements. I found him that engaging, intelligent and open to new ideas and perspectives.

I will also state with great confidence that he would have heeded his father's and his father's former advisor's advice and would not have ventured into the ill-conceived war in Iraq.
Interesting.
I actually have a fairly high opinion of Jeb and had he run in 2000 instead of GW, I probably would have found myself in the same happy situation I was in THIS PAST Presidential election - with my personal preference being the Democratic candidate but having little or no heartburn if the GOP candidate won. Until it became apparent just how ignorant Palin was I was VERY HAPPY with my choices this past election cycle. I was VERY HAPPY with the Democratic candidate - and "OK" with the Republican one.

Ken

Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times
I find it amusing how some hold a favorable opinion of Jeb. The man presided over a election that put his brother in the White House while ignoring the will of Floridians who voted for Gore. He is no more than a a two bit fraud who is comparable to the mafia.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I find it amusing how some hold a favorable opinion of Jeb. The man presided over a election that put his brother in the White House while ignoring the will of Floridians who voted for Gore. He is no more than a a two bit fraud who is comparable to the mafia.
I don't think GW was a crook - nor do I think Jeb is a crook.
My main gripe with GW was that he was INCOMPETENT.
I don't think that's the case with Jeb.

Ken

Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,125,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah I pretty much agree.
Unlike his brother GW, Jeb is not a dummy.
He is fairly smart and quite articulate (how much UNLIKE Junior is THAT????). I don't agree with the guy's political stances all that much, but at least he would make an intelligent candidate.

Unfortunately for him, the Bush name is pretty much in the toilet.

Ken
Say it ain't so, say it ain't so....your giving a 'Bush' compliments.....

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Say it ain't so, say it ain't so....your giving a 'Bush' compliments.....
Hey, I even give Junior compliments when he's due them.

I think he's done a good job fighting AIDS and famine in Africa.
I think the early phases of the Afghan War were handled very well.
I think he did a good job rallying the people after 9/11.

I think anyone who can't find SOMETHING to compliment about the opposition is really not being very fair or accurate.

I've said MANY times that I think Junior is an idiot - but even HE did some things pretty well (at least for a while). Unfortunately his screw-ups MORE than offset anything good he's done.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections