Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times

Advertisements

By calling on Jeb Bush to "remake" the party's image?????

Geez, I really dislike the Dems badly, but the Republicans are looking just as bad to me right now. They will continue to get thumped in the elections until they ditch the neocons.

Quote:
Jeb Bush to help party rebuild - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1028518.html - broken link)

When national Republican leaders brainstormed about repairing their party's image after the setbacks of the last two elections, it was only natural that they would turn to Jeb Bush.

The popular two-term governor who led the fourth largest state to Republican dominance. A bilingual, telegenic and powerful near-celebrity. A policy wonk who heads his own education think tank.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,863 times
This is all the GOP can come up with is another Bush? There must at least a few sharp republicans' in this great free country other than the Bush family of Texas., come on, the GOP needs some "new blood and leadership for all Americans and not just the rich", if they are to survive....

Republican • National • Committee

Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
The Republican party must reject all the old leaders [esp anything Bush] or risk continued mockery & pity. Remember over a year ago this:

The House Republican brand is so bad right now that if it were a dog food, they'd take it off the shelf," said retiring Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (Va.).

Ron Paul should be the face of the Republican party before he leaves & I don't think it will be very long before Paul becomes a Democrat.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Cripes if these guys were running Ford Motor Company they'd probably decide to name their next new model after that marketing bonanza of the late '50s, EDSEL. Put these guys in charge of Hollywood and they'll release "Ishtar and Howard The Duck go to Heavens Gate".

Jeb Bush is kind of like "New" Coke.

How long did they sit around thinking, "Hmmm, who's the most disliked guy to come along in our party in 30 years? Bush! OK, do we have any other Bushes we can run out?"

This is the party of "new" ideas? Please.

I'll bet if they check their warehouses they can find a lot of "WIN" (whip inflation now) buttons left over from the Ford administration. Get those babies out!

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

How come no one is on here slamming you for being infantile, criticizing your choice of subject and implying that you are insulting the Rs and or boring us? Oh, wait I see. Your threads are usually pro-Republican so none of the righty posters read your threads.

Good job.

golfgod

Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Let's see, the GOP wants to repair it's current image as a backward, narrow-minded, basically "southern" party, so to represent their "new" image, they decide to pick somebody with the name of "Jeb"....?!?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
This is all the GOP can come up with is another Bush? There must at least a few sharp republicans' in this great free country other than the Bush family of Texas., come on, the GOP needs some "new blood and leadership for all Americans and not just the rich", if they are to survive....

Republican • National • Committee
Excellent points!!! If the GOP thinks they can reform and win with another Bush - then they are even dumber than they appear...

As for getting away from being the party of just the rich - that is impossible without an almost complete changing of the guard.

The current GOP is fervently focused exclusively on what is good for the rich, and to h@ll with everyone else. That is a more fundamental part of who they are than their unconditional opposition to aborbion..

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
By calling on Jeb Bush to "remake" the party's image?????

Geez, I really dislike the Dems badly, but the Republicans are looking just as bad to me right now. They will continue to get thumped in the elections until they ditch the neocons.
The GOP is rebuilding???? Really???? That's what they're doing???

Hmmmmm... Don't think I'm going to hold my breath for it.....

Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
Say it ain't so, not another Bush....This country can't stomach another 'bush' in the white house. Just the idea of that scares me [MOD CUT/language]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-10-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
The Repubs ignore any person who has a chance at making them popular again because those people are usually "controversial".

Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

How long did they sit around thinking, "Hmmm, who's the most disliked guy to come along in our party in 30 years? Bush! OK, do we have any other Bushes we can run out?"
Unfortunately, for the Republicans, the nation, and especially Jeb, Dubya has so sullied the Bush family's legacy of public service to such an extent that it can only be seen as being radioactive, to be handled with upmost care and caution due to its toxicity. Which in many ways is quiet sad.

Jeb would have been a formidable challenger to Obama, more so than any Republican or Democrat short of Hillary Clinton that I can think of. That being said, Jeb could play an important role in rebuilding the party as long as he doesn't do so in the capacity of a presidential candidate. Thoughtful, intelligent, and by no means one to resort to the hyperbolic language of the current gaggle of GOP leaders, Jeb is precisely the kind of leader the GOP needs in this period. But will they heed his advice? Somehow I doubt it as the other potential leaders keeping playing to base in an effort to position themselves for the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections