Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,415,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I am willing to bet if we just LEFT, yes just LEFT Afghanistan, not a damn thing would happen...EVER. Oh, maybe opium trade flurishes...oh yeah, its already doing that. Face it, theres nothing to be gained there, its been over 8 years and nothing has been gained. Ask Russia if this can be won.
LOL, o ok so some random dude THINKS that if we left afghanistan nothign would happen, while basing that on absolutely nothing. This is what got us into the war in Iraq, because some idiot THOUGHT that they had WMDs in there, basing that on absolutely nothing.

Not to mention, this whole thread is based on ignorance seeing as how Obama said the entire campaign that he would be sending troops to Afghanistan, which is where we should have been the past 8 years instead of Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,268,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
LOL, o ok so some random dude THINKS that if we left afghanistan nothign would happen, while basing that on absolutely nothing. This is what got us into the war in Iraq, because some idiot THOUGHT that they had WMDs in there, basing that on absolutely nothing.

Not to mention, this whole thread is based on ignorance seeing as how Obama said the entire campaign that he would be sending troops to Afghanistan, which is where we should have been the past 8 years instead of Iraq.
OK oh wise one, tell me exactly what would happen if we left, and prove it.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
He's scaling back the troops where the terrorists are not, and putting them into where the terrorists actually are. Unfortunately when Bush dropped the ball in Afghanistan, members of Taliban have since reclaimed power in that area. I understand you're upset, but just like the economy, Obama has to clean up Bush's mess in the Middle East. Half measures avail us nothing and if Bush would have not gone all cowboy into Iraq then we wouldn't have to deal with Afghanistan today.
obama is a corporatist advancing a corporate agenda. how can anyone not see that?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Default Have you tried communicating with President Obama?

I ask, because I have, and I got a reply. Since then, I've received information from the Whitehouse regarding the topics that were important to me, including public health care reforms.

Of course, I know the information comes from his communications department, but their replies come from his responses to the information I've supplied, along with those from others.

So, rather than whining to a forum of people that may or may not be informed, why not take direct action. Email your concerns. Ask why we are still at war.

Our level of participation with our government determines whether we get our concerns addressed. If you are not participating, your concerns will not be known.

BTW -- President Obama routinely conducts town hall meetings at various points around the country. There is one today, at 1:30PM EST, via webcast. If you are truly interested in helping your government officials support your concerns, get active, inform yourself of the situations they face, and share your beliefs about solutions.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,415,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
OK oh wise one, tell me exactly what would happen if we left, and prove it.
Why do I have to know what would happen? I'm some guy ona an internet forum, and because I don't know exactly what would happen if the US magically withdrew from Afghanistan? What I DO know is you can't just assume everything will be alright, because there is no evidence to back up this claim. Why do you always change the subject when your argument hits a brick wall?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,717,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
Your pain is being felt by many Obama voters. The broken promises and the lies have piled up so much that his former followers just do not trust him anymore.
His track record if you would have looked into it is not one of trust. But yet many felt the need to trust him and like you he has betrayed all his voters and our country by apologizing around the world when he should not be speaking for all of us and our past.
Obama has betrayed America so do not feel so bad.
What are you talking about? This is just a mindless partisan rant. He hasn't betrayed anybody. Get over self-righteous self.

If the OP, Foreverking, feels betrayed because Obama is ending combat operations in Iraq and ramping up combat operations in Afghanistan, then the OP was a VERY uninformed voter.

Obama repeated ad nauseum during the campaign that he would do precisely what he is doing. If the OP is surprised that he is being hawkish and militarily tough, then I've got nothing. He was always hawkish and militarily tough. That was actually one of the reasons I voted for him.

He wasn't afraid to fight the war on terror in a way that makes sense by redeploying troops to Afghanistan and actually going after the people who attacked us on 9/11, something Bush never really did.

(yes, Obama's ideal timeline in Iraq was pushed back, even though he said all along that it might be amended to fit with needs on the ground. But, we are pulling troops out and have a set deadline agreed upon by all parties. In a war this chaotic and immoral, that's pretty darn good, if you ask me. In the grand scheme of things, a few months difference will not matter).

Sounds like yet another promise fulfilled. I'm pretty impressed with Obama so far. When the economy recovers, I expect him to fulfill his promise to pay down the deficit. If he does that and all the rest he is doing, he will be a phenomenol president.

Study your candidate next time instead of projecting your idealism onto him/her. It's similar to when I hear people are mad that Obama won't fight for gay marriage, even though he came out clearly against it during the campaign.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,430,464 times
Well tried to warn you... so how is that hope and change working out for you?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,953 times
Didn't want over-intervention in foreign affairs? Should've look to Ron Paul.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
It's working fine for me. Much better than Reverend Bush.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Doing great, thank you.

401K has recovered and taken off again, IRA not quite well but decidedly on the mend, work is starting to come into our shop, and I am delighted with the progress President Obama is making on multiple fronts.

While we're here - y'all got anybody ready to be sacrificed in 2012 yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections