Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times

Advertisements

I hired this guy to get this country out of war, and that was a big deal to me. I don't understand why he has to ratched up the troops in Afghanistan. He made a lot of fuss about Bush in Iraq, all which I agreed with, and now hes starting to look a little hawkish to me. I know that there are no republicans who would have done any better, in fact they would have made things worst, but cant we get someone who will do the real will of the people.

I think I would really like to hear from those of us who trusted BO in the election, and ask those who opposed him before the election to PLEASE hold off.

Respectfully,

Sb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 PM

852 posts, read 1,358,107 times
During his campaign he said that he would send additional troops to Afghanistan so I'm not sure why you feel betrayed unless you're referring to Iraq. If that's what you mean, I think he's had to back off his original promises as he received additional information. I think we all need to remember that it's easy to campaign one way but while campaigning, the candidate doesn't have all of the information. Once they become President, they receive all of the pertinent information and that causes promises and plans to change. That's why no President can keep his campaign promises. That doesn't bother me because I think it would be far worse to keep a promise especially after you see the whole picture and realize that some of those promises may be detrimental to the country.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,123,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I hired this guy to get this country out of war, and that was a big deal to me. I don't understand why he has to ratched up the troops in Afghanistan. He made a lot of fuss about Bush in Iraq, all which I agreed with, and now hes starting to look a little hawkish to me. I know that there are no republicans who would have done any better, in fact they would have made things worst, but cant we get someone who will do the real will of the people.

I think I would really like to hear from those of us who trusted BO in the election, and ask those who opposed him before the election to PLEASE hold off.

Respectfully,

Sb
I think his approach to Afghanistan was/is appropriate as he outlined it during the campaign so I don't know if you can justly say 'I'm betrayed'...I'm not at all disappointed w/his presidency...He inherited an awful mess on nearly every front...Folks want solutions but you & I both know they don't happen overnight...That's just the reality..

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM

130 posts, read 175,949 times
Your pain is being felt by many Obama voters. The broken promises and the lies have piled up so much that his former followers just do not trust him anymore.
His track record if you would have looked into it is not one of trust. But yet many felt the need to trust him and like you he has betrayed all his voters and our country by apologizing around the world when he should not be speaking for all of us and our past.
Obama has betrayed America so do not feel so bad.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
Your pain is being felt by many Obama voters. The broken promises and the lies have piled up so much that his former followers just do not trust him anymore.
His track record if you would have looked into it is not one of trust. But yet many felt the need to trust him and like you he has betrayed all his voters and our country by apologizing around the world when he should not be speaking for all of us and our past.
Obama has betrayed America so do not feel so bad.
As President of the United States, he can say whatever he wants. I never voted for George W. Bush but I respected the fact that he was our President. It's unfortunate that so many here don't show that same respect even if you disagree with him.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
As President of the United States, he can say whatever he wants. I never voted for George W. Bush but I respected the fact that he was our President. It's unfortunate that so many here don't show that same respect even if you disagree with him.
I didn't vote for him, but since he won I hoped he would do some of the things he promiced. Instead, in six months is has done nothing but steer our country towards destruction.
He betrayed everyone, and some people are beginning to see through him. There is a good reason his popularity has dropped like a stone.
He is an empty suit, a slick salesman, and people are finding out he has nothing good to offer..

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM

as mentioned, I am hoping to capture the view of those who DID vote for him. I don't feel he is destroying America, the Former POTUS did that already, we really have nothing left. If anything he is trying to create from the ashes a new America. However, I picked the guy who I thought was going to end the current wars. Getting killed in Afghanistan seems like just as dead as getting killed in Iraq. Perhaps I missed the speech where he promised to rune our military in Afghanistan VS Iraq. Im not saying he didnt say it, Im just saying I missed it. If so, I guess its my fault for working hard and missing a few debates. I follow political web pages, watch the fake news on MSNBC, FOX and CNN, but somewhere I missed that part.

I still feel he is doing a great job in all other efforts, just not the cause I feel the closest too.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM

I think we all (or at least most of us) work hard but I agree that it's hard to keep track of everything. I agreed with him on ending the war in Iraq but I understand it isn't an easy task and it will take some time. I also agree with the war in Afghanistan for the most part. I think of the two, it's the only one that is justified. It's unfortunate that we created the monster and now have to cleanup a mess that we created (funding the Afghani's to combat the Russians). As an FYI, I included a link about sending additional troops to Afghanistan:

PolitiFact | Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan - Obama promise No. 134:

I agree that he's doing a decent job but I'm not in real agreement over the bailouts. I think that politically, it is something that Hillary Clinton and John McCain would have done and I understand the reasoning for that as well. I just don't think you can continue to spending your way out of what is essentially a recession caused by overspending. Eventually it will catch up with us and we'll have to bite the bullet sooner or later. Unfortunately, it will likely be my children that will have to make that sacrifice.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post

Respectfully,

Sb
He's scaling back the troops where the terrorists are not, and putting them into where the terrorists actually are. Unfortunately when Bush dropped the ball in Afghanistan, members of Taliban have since reclaimed power in that area. I understand you're upset, but just like the economy, Obama has to clean up Bush's mess in the Middle East. Half measures avail us nothing and if Bush would have not gone all cowboy into Iraq then we wouldn't have to deal with Afghanistan today.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
He's scaling back the troops where the terrorists are not, and putting them into where the terrorists actually are. Unfortunately when Bush dropped the ball in Afghanistan, members of Taliban have since reclaimed power in that area. I understand you're upset, but just like the economy, Obama has to clean up Bush's mess in the Middle East. Half measures avail us nothing and if Bush would have not gone all cowboy into Iraq then we wouldn't have to deal with Afghanistan today.
I am willing to bet if we just LEFT, yes just LEFT Afghanistan, not a damn thing would happen...EVER. Oh, maybe opium trade flurishes...oh yeah, its already doing that. Face it, theres nothing to be gained there, its been over 8 years and nothing has been gained. Ask Russia if this can be won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections