Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
He's scaling back the troops where the terrorists are not, and putting them into where the terrorists actually are. Unfortunately when Bush dropped the ball in Afghanistan, members of Taliban have since reclaimed power in that area. I understand you're upset, but just like the economy, Obama has to clean up Bush's mess in the Middle East. Half measures avail us nothing and if Bush would have not gone all cowboy into Iraq then we wouldn't have to deal with Afghanistan today.

Funny thing about that. One of the reasons the terrorists fight us is because we occupy their countries, their Holy Lands. So we should keep playing their game? That's what they want.
We have no business being the World Police. It is bankrupting us trying to extend our empire. In order to make our country safer we should bring our troops home to protect our borders.
The US keeps causing problems by propping up different countries and sliding in pro American (at the time) leaders. Our leaders aren't happy with running our own country into the ground they have to do it to other countries as well. Other countries should quit listening to us. At least the ones with nukes since we dont invade those countries. hmmmm
Our interventionist policies are ineffective and expensive. We should not be at war without a declaration of war. No country attacked us. The Middle East is not our fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,380,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
but cant we get someone who will do the real will of the people.
Isn't it interesting that we can cast millions of votes for American Idols and determine the winners on other reality shows but we can't send a "will of the people" vote to our Senators and Congressmen and tell them how we want them to vote on issues.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
I voted for him but I must admit to being disappointed because:
1. He didn't bring the troops home from Iraq in 6 months as he promised
2. He didn't re-negotiate NAFTA as he promised
3. He hasn't changed things so that it cost manufactures more to ship jobs out of the country rather than keep them here.
4. He is letting true health care reform slip through his fingers while he tries to appease the insurance companies.
5. He didn't suspend DADT as he promised
6. He is still fighting to keep the secretive way of doing thing ....for which he rightly critized Bush ...in place. His administration is in court every week fighting to keep secret things that need to be told in the light of day.
7. He went along with the Bush bail out, didn't do anything to make the banks and wall street accountable for the money they took, and then added his own bail out plan.
8. Afghanastan.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,062 times
You disappointed your country when you didn't want to listen or believe all the things said about this man before the election. You believed a bunch of campaigne promises instead of studying the man. Find me someone in this mans life that isn't an America hating radical leftist? Why did you think he wasn't cause he gave some pretty speeches? Even that was um ah um ah um a lie....

Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM

638 posts, read 930,510 times
By leaving Afghanistan to the Taliban one is only inviting another September 11. The Taliban’s goal is to unite the Arab world against the west and destroy us. This is their stated goal. By allowing their current occupation to continue one only invites this.

This is a mess left by Bush, plain and simple. Instead of making a massive deployment into Afghanistan, we sent a token group and then invaded Iraq. Iraq is now a mess and the Taliban has strengthened. It took many years to get to this point and will take many more to get out. In no way is that Barack's fault. As my mother always said, you have to break a dozen eggs to make a cake. Now that’s a change you can believe in!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
By leaving Afghanistan to the Taliban one is only inviting another September 11. The Taliban’s goal is to unite the Arab world against the west and destroy us. This is their stated goal. By allowing their current occupation to continue one only invites this.

This is a mess left by Bush, plain and simple. Instead of making a massive deployment into Afghanistan, we sent a token group and then invaded Iraq. Iraq is now a mess and the Taliban has strengthened. It took many years to get to this point and will take many more to get out. In no way is that Barack's fault. As my mother always said, you have to break a dozen eggs to make a cake. Now that’s a change you can believe in!

It isn't Barack's fault that the Taliban wants to destroy us.

I understand that you want to blame Bush for intervening. A "mess" you say ... left by Bush.

If I'm getting your post right, we should send in 10 times the amount of troops we currently are getting. I agree.

A mess you say.

What could be achieved if Afghanistan could become a Republic?

What if the world could be rid of 90% of current opium production?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM

195 posts, read 427,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I voted for him but I must admit to being disappointed because:
1. He didn't bring the troops home from Iraq in 6 months as he promised
2. He didn't re-negotiate NAFTA as he promised
3. He hasn't changed things so that it cost manufactures more to ship jobs out of the country rather than keep them here.
4. He is letting true health care reform slip through his fingers while he tries to appease the insurance companies.
5. He didn't suspend DADT as he promised
6. He is still fighting to keep the secretive way of doing thing ....for which he rightly critized Bush ...in place. His administration is in court every week fighting to keep secret things that need to be told in the light of day.
7. He went along with the Bush bail out, didn't do anything to make the banks and wall street accountable for the money they took, and then added his own bail out plan.
8. Afghanastan.

Give him a chance.He's only been in office 7 months. Rome was not built in one day..........

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genonfire View Post
Give him a chance.He's only been in office 7 months. Rome was not built in one day..........
The Roman Empire was led by dictators.

The Roman Empire eventually fell.

When a President pushes a country's deficit to 1.3 trillion dollars in 7 months ... and then wants to add another trillion dollars by pushing his healthcare plan, he should be held suspect.

When 85% of Americans are satisfied with their healthcare, maybe another idea should be considered.

Barack's healthcare plan doesn't include Dental & Optical insurance.

The plan my employer provides does include dental & optical insurance.

Ask these questions.

Will we still have to buy private insurance for dental & optical?

Will I be paying from my paycheck for illegal aliens to have checkups?

Will my taxes go up? So that people that don't work can have healthcare for free?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,396,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Doing great, thank you.

401K has recovered and taken off again, IRA not quite well but decidedly on the mend, work is starting to come into our shop, and I am delighted with the progress President Obama is making on multiple fronts.

While we're here - y'all got anybody ready to be sacrificed in 2012 yet?
What are you smokin'??

Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I hired this guy to get this country out of war, and that was a big deal to me. I don't understand why he has to ratched up the troops in Afghanistan. He made a lot of fuss about Bush in Iraq, all which I agreed with, and now hes starting to look a little hawkish to me. I know that there are no republicans who would have done any better, in fact they would have made things worst, but cant we get someone who will do the real will of the people.

I think I would really like to hear from those of us who trusted BO in the election, and ask those who opposed him before the election to PLEASE hold off.

Respectfully,

Sb
I agree. I don't think we should still be fighting Dick Cheney's war. I expect Barack to pull those troops out and get the hell out of there. We must refocus. Thus far, this hasn't happened.

Given that I trust this brilliant man wholeheartedly, the only explanation is that he is planning to exit intelligently. He doesn't want to leave in the same mindless, ineffective way that Bush entered. We must have patience because after all, he hasn't been in office 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections