Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'd be willing to put money on this prediction.
You could probably get good odds from one of the Big government liberal Obamabots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM

24,423 posts, read 23,088,846 times
They'll( republicans) pick up some governorships. Probably all across the board some senate seats and congressional seats. But I think their biggest gains will be local offices and state elections.
Not that that's necessarily a good thing. The republicans screwed things up and just because the democrats have now proven to still be equally as bad( maybe worse) does not mean that the republicans will suddenly learn anything. We need to sweep both parties from power and bring in independants and third part candidates for real change. But the clowns in charge now have got to go or be rendered completely powerless.
What's the old saying? The party in power will screw things up and get the other party elected.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

31 posts, read 42,118 times
Given that the economy is about to fall through the floor I think there will be considerable voter backlash against all incumbents. Expect third parties to form and win substantial seats.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,299 times
Exclamation Kev, Can I Piggyback On Your Post Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I think enough people will start to see through these shams that the republicans will pick up quite a few seats.

Not that republicans are much better, but at least some of them still have a conservative ideology.

I truly believe that the current congress and admin being SO far left is going to bring a lot of conservatives back. As long as we've still got a democracy in a few years (here's hoping), we SHOULD be OK.

There are still going to be a lot of loudmouthed, uneducated, far-leftists that just want to vote for a rock star instead of using common sense, but the ones in the middle will start to lean back to the conservative side of things.
I agree with you as far as your statement on buyers' remorse amongst those who voted for Mr Obama...hell, I voted for him, and in my own way, still support him and hope he does well, but I have a LOT of questions about some of the things he's implemented (see under Cash For Clunkers, The Stimulus) or is wanting to implement (the Health Care Reform Bill)...

Where I don't agree with you, is the part where you seem to lump ALL us Obama supporters together as 'loudmouthed, uneducated far-leftists'...that in itself isn't entirely true---LOL, I'm not loud (welll, my wife might disagree), not uneducated, and DEFINITELY not a 'far-leftist'...there ARE, on BOTH sides in this debate, folks who take things to a disquieting extreme...

For example, I'm not gonna sit here and snap-judge all GOP-ers based on the comments and actions of, say, Glenn Beck, Rush, Ann Coulter, or ex-Gov. Palin---it's not fair, for starters, and it just lets more hot air into the ozone LOL...but we both know that there are folk on both sides who do JUST THAT (i.e. snap-judge), and I have no desire to join them

I've never met you Kev, and don't know if I ever will, outside City-Data...but I would hope that we could sit down over a beverage of choice and discuss our differences, both philosophical and political, in a calm, friendly manner...you might be able to let me know what Republicans/conservatives are thinking, and I in turn may shed some light as to what I like and don't like in the Obama/Dem camp...there's too much shouting and judging and misinformation being disseminated on both sides, and I wish that things could be diffeent---and that's from my non-liberal-lefty heart

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Default Anyone have predictions on the 2010 elections?

I think it's likely the GOP will pick up a few seats in the house. They may lose a couple more in the senate.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think it's likely the GOP will pick up a few seats in the house. They may lose a couple more in the senate.
That would mean a net loss in legislative power for Repubs. That's what I predict, too, but maybe by different specific electoral results. I think the GOP really is toast, er, make that burnt toast, going forward.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,957 times
It's too early but my guess is that the GOP will pick up a lot of seats (and win Governorships) in 2010. First it's the historical pattern for the party out of power to win seats in an off year election. Also, I think many independent voters who voted for Obama have been shocked at how liberal he is. Not that they should be surprised. He is doing what he said he would. But as had been mentioned during the campaign, Obama has the ability for people to see what they want in him. So independents incorrectly saw a moderate in a leftist. These voters with buyers remorse will vote GOP in 2010.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It's too early but my guess is that the GOP will pick up a lot of seats (and win Governorships) in 2010. First it's the historical pattern for the party out of power to win seats in an off year election. Also, I think many independent voters who voted for Obama have been shocked at how liberal he is. Not that they should be surprised. He is doing what he said he would. But as had been mentioned during the campaign, Obama has the ability for people to see what they want in him. So independents incorrectly saw a moderate in a leftist. These voters with buyers remorse will vote GOP in 2010.
LOL, they are probably more shocked at how he could easily fit in with the neocon GOP wing. Keep that Big Government growing- we all need Big Government to take care of us!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM

24,423 posts, read 23,088,846 times
First time voters in 2008 or even younger new voters may not be too impressed with what got elected last time around. I think they'll either ignore the election or toss some protest votes towards the republicans. Acorn's voter fraud will help in urban areas but that will run against independants, swing voting democrats and a very highly charged and organized GOP base.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,755 times
I'm not sure the Republicans will recover for a long time. It seems inevitable that Texas will become a democratic state especially if you read this article:
A special report on Texas: : The red and the blue | The Economist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections