Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times

Advertisements

The new nanny is always a psycho who tries to get it on with the husband, and undermines the mom's relationship with her kid. Oh, and the mom ends up pushing the nanny out the window to her death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everyone who goes to the grocery store comes out with a long loaf of unwrapped Italian bread sticking out of the bag.
I was watching a film the other day and this same exact bit occurred. Thought of this post.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
That wives/girlfriends are almost always no less than attractive or described as being such.

Just once I would like to watch a movie in which the wife/girlfriend was at least slightly overweight or had crooked teeth or had SOME flaw (or was described that way in a work of fiction), but she was still loved and/or considered desirable by her boyfriend/husband, anyway. (Btw, I had a pretty face when I was young and I am still a size 6/8, but I have always had cellulite thighs and chipmunk cheeks, and my SOs have always said they found me very attractive despite my flaws. So why do novelists and casting directors seem to think that women have to be VERY attractive in order to be a love interest?)

This especially irks me in works by Stephen King. I think most people would describe his wife, Tabitha, as NOT being physically gorgeous,, but she is a very supportive and intelligent person nevertheless, and I am fairly sure that he thought at least at one time that she was attractive. (They have, I think, three kids.) But in all his novels that I have read so far, all the female love interests are ALL more or less gorgeous. ARRRGHHH!
I am watching the Millenium Trilogy right now, the Swedish miniseries based on Stieg Larson's mystery books about a reporter and the antisocial computer hacker who helps him do research (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.)

What struck me was that they actors are not all Hollywood-looking. The actor playing Mikael Blomkvist is fairly attractive and has beautiful eyes, but he has some series pockmarks on his face. The actress playing Erika Berger looks as though she could use some conditioner and she has LINES on her face--that's right, folks, a normal-looking, forty-something actress who gets to have sex in a movie! Go Sweden. (In the US version of GWTDT, her character is played by Robin Wright.)

The people in the movie look like normal people. It's amazing. And when something bad happens to them, they look like hell. In US movies, even when the hero or heroine is being tortured, they still look pretty. In Sweden, when the bad guy is trying to hang/strangle Blomkvist (this is not a big spoiler here), his face turns purple, he's got foam coming out of his mouth, and well, he doesn't look pretty.

Now if only they didn't use translation software on the third movie (Hornet's Nest), I could stop laughing at some of the inane subtitles.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
As it says in the title, what cliches in fiction seem to annoy you the most? Be it from a movie,book,TV show, video game, etc.
When the good guys get shot at and shot at and never get hit even when they are seriously outnumbered.The bullets or lasers just magically fly past them, yet when they shoot back they always hit their target.

The guilty person testifying at a trial or being questioned in a police station will always break down and confess even when their lawyer is right there with them .

They always accomplish what they need to and get out just seconds before the explosion or they stop the bomb from ticking with just seconds left on the clock.

The characters in very scary life or death situations never seem very scared

People that are supposed to be unattractive are not unattractive and the ones supposedly better looking than anyone else are not any better looking than anyone else.

Whenever a nice person is rejected as a love interest so the character can be with somebody else there is always another nice love interest there waiting for the rejected person to make everything seem okay.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 04-01-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I am watching the Millenium Trilogy right now, the Swedish miniseries based on Stieg Larson's mystery books about a reporter and the antisocial computer hacker who helps him do research (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.)

What struck me was that they actors are not all Hollywood-looking. The actor playing Mikael Blomkvist is fairly attractive and has beautiful eyes, but he has some series pockmarks on his face. The actress playing Erika Berger looks as though she could use some conditioner and she has LINES on her face--that's right, folks, a normal-looking, forty-something actress who gets to have sex in a movie! Go Sweden. (In the US version of GWTDT, her character is played by Robin Wright.)

The people in the movie look like normal people. It's amazing. And when something bad happens to them, they look like hell. In US movies, even when the hero or heroine is being tortured, they still look pretty. In Sweden, when the bad guy is trying to hang/strangle Blomkvist (this is not a big spoiler here), his face turns purple, he's got foam coming out of his mouth, and well, he doesn't look pretty.

Now if only they didn't use translation software on the third movie (Hornet's Nest), I could stop laughing at some of the inane subtitles.
That was supposed to be "serious". I hate when it's too late to edit my post and I find an error.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Everyone who goes to the grocery store comes out with a long loaf of unwrapped Italian bread sticking out of the bag.
I had to laugh at this one. Even when paper bags went out in favor of plastic, all you'd still see on TV or in the movies were those paper bags.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
from Love Story.. one of the worst overhyped movies ever.... "love it never having to say sorry"

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
tv:
-1 and done envied relatives. A relative (usually a sister of a main character) is either rich and jetsetty or a bohemian world traveller, comes for a visit with, an argument happens betwen and envied relative admits their life isn't all that it seems and they are really jealous of the other's life. Said relative leaves and is never seen or heard from ever again.

-Leaving Town Because of Love Syndrome (but not really). Person A is distraught that the love of their life since they were 2 is getting engaged or married to someone else so they quit their job, give up their home, get a new job and place to live in a city far, far away except the night before they are gone for good their true wuv declares their love for them and they stay. Somehow their job takes them back, they get their home back and all is well.

tv and movies:

-Secret Rich People. The homeless beggar you give a quarter to every day, the disheveled next door neighbor always scrounging for food, the pizza delivery guy, a family member's new girlfriend or boyfriend that you hate are all rich or have rich families and give you a pile of money or their entire fortune when you lose your car, house or job.

-lifestyle, home and wardrobe wildly disproportionate to a person's profession. Characters living paycheck to paycheck in Architectural Digest worthy apartments, wear jewelry whose cost exceeds their salary and can jump on a plane to Paris at a moment's notice with no financial fallout.
kramer on sienfeld had a nice NYC apt and didnt even have a job!!!!!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Heavy rain / T-storm to announce something dramatic is going to happen. You see some rain, you know it's bad.
and dont forget that you see and hear thunder and lightening at the same time in movies and tv show

Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Default too many to list

the husband /wife swap jobs for a day, the husband may be very smart and talented but cant boil water, and always burns whatever hes cooking- heres a clue -go to a restaurant!

pre pubescent boys falls in love with pre pubescent girl very cute but very wrong before puberty boys cant stand being around girls, and vic versa those circuits in their head have not been turned on yet, but old tv show always think this is cute.

people can run away from any type of explosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts