Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

There are still good cartoons comming out. I'm too old for them but I never stopped watching. I really got into Avatar: The Last Airbender, for example.

I'm a bit nostalgic about the old 80's cartoons I grew up with (He-man, Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, ect ect), but when I go back and watch them I can't help but notice how really terrible they are. But I still love them for some strange reason.

I think anime is where it's at for the incurable cartoon watching 30 somethings, and there is a lot of great stuff in that genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,359 times
It's sad that I have to screen CARTOONS before my kids can watch. Total garbage for 25% of all cartoons today.

The Y ratings don't help much, a Y7 cartoon is often something a 10 year old shouldn't watch.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
i agree with most of this

when i grew up we only had the 3 stations I could get by antenna up in the country - NBC, CBS most of the time and ABC unless it was stormy

saturday morning cartoons were a staple and something you planned around

my grandmother in town had cable, so that opened up a whole new universe of cartoons

we had all the classic WB stuff and early disney

it was also common to have the "earlier" tv shows on - things like the monkees, lost in space and things like that

loved all of it - also throw in the jetsons, the flintstones, etc as ones that I enjoyed

as a boy my absolute favorites were GI Joe, Transformers, He-man, thundercats, voltron, etc

would also get home from school and tune into duck tales, etc ...... absolutely still love pinky & the brain

however, a lot of the older cartoons did have adult themes, some pretty stereotypical stuff in there and were heavily entertainment based

it seems now with channels dedicated to kids programing they try to tailer the programs to kids with more of a sesame street feel to it

i don't really like the tween programs though

also, i've bought a lot of the cartoons that I grew up on so I have them in my collection - some definitely hold up better than others, so you have to look back and wonder if we are making more out of past than what was really there

even with that I still prefer the ones I grew up on

i think my little brothers generation came in as they transitioned from typical saturday morning fare to cable all the time - i did like programs like the rugrats though

now there are some that I don't mind - my neices and nephews are pretty tuned into most of them - some of it is just atrocious though

i also think that they should make the classics available as collectors pieces

i remember watching the WW2 era propaganda cartoons that used to be in the video collections and now do not see the light of day

"pay your taxes to defeat the axis" and the like - as an adult I think those are pretty solid and definitely have their place as a part of our history

Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
It's obvious you guys never heard of the ones I posted. Damn, I am getting old.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,435 times
Mr. Cat, I can relate to your pain...I am from '88, so I've heard, if not seen at least one episode of each of the cartoons you've mentioned. Sadly, the cartoons nowadays are pretty brainless and quite repetitive with no sense of direction in terms of story advancement. Plus, I thought the animation back then was way more realistic than the ones now. Technology improvement, my butt.

My list:
Scooby-Doo
Original X-Men
Original Spiderman
Animaniacs
Godzilla
Dragonball
Captain Planet
etc.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Some of you talk about the old cartoons like Transformers and all those. Those things came out when I was in college! How about the REAL oldies? Somebody mentioned Beanie and Cecil. How about Space Angel? We had a TV station around us wen we had antenna only that, in the afternoon, had Looney Tunes, Space Angel and Clutch Cargo. Then what about Underdog? How about Might Mouse? ("Here he coI liked the older Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther and Road Runner. No talking in any of them. The newer versions of T & J looked too computerized and not as good.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Just to answer your topic question: The good cartoons have been replaced by strange Japanese warrior/video game/wierd animation with tiny little round mouths and spiky hair and big oblong eyes.

I miss Scooby Doo, Smurfs, Darkwing Duck, Gummy Bears, Roadrunner and Coyote, and He-Man. That stuff was cool and the animation was right on.
Today's animation is not easy for me to watch, it's annoying. But the kids seems to love the strange animation and it makes tons of money so I guess that's what matters.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
i am only 18 years old and i love the stuff from back into the 90s. Like hey Arnold, Doug, Rugrats, spongebob (old school). I've noticed that all the cartoon stations are weeding out of the cartoons. Nickelodeon only has one and that is Spongebob and thats dying. Disney is has one and that isn't a big hit. Cartoon Network, just flat out sucks now. I've given up on them years ago.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Yeah some of the newer cartoons they have on are really stupid. We watch boomerang a lot. My son loves the old tom and jerry and popeye.
The problem I have with some anime shows, is the actual "animation" of the characters is lame. they freeze frame on a character, the move the background to "animate" it. The characters body isn't animated a whole lot. Whereas the old cartoons, the characters actually run and jump and stuff. Although some anime plots are real cool though.
I also became addicted to "the avatar".
The original scooby doo episodes will not be surpassed. They rock.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 AM

240 posts, read 437,380 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
First of all, I was born in 86 and wasn't into cartoons until 1991 (I was looking at Sesame Street before toons), so I grew up in one of the best eras of cartoon viewing. I elementary school quality cartoons started at 6:30am to about 9, 2pm to about 4:30. I remember getting early on Saturday/Sunday morning at around 6am just to watch quality toons until about 12pm (or at least tape it). Some of my favorites were X-Men (TAS 92-97), Spider Man (TAS 94-98), Batman (TAS 92-95), Gargoyels (94-97), Tiny Tune Adventures (90-95), Eek! The Cat (92-97), Pinky and The Brain (95-98), Beast Wars (96-99), Darkwing Duck (91-92), and a bunch of other great shows. I understand that the 80s had some quality classics too. Sadly, I stopped looking at cartoons when I started high school in 02 because they were all garbage and the animation sucked big time. I feel sorry for the kids growing up today because, what little stuff they have to watch is brainless. I actually can't believe I'm doing a "When I was a kid", thread but if you have any toons that you loved growing up, lets hear it.

those are all my oldie favorites today kids dont have the quality of television that we grew up with.Television in ourday use to be about family,educating students,good clean comedy,but now it's about sex,vulgar language,anything that will get a higher rating by any means necessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts