Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM

22 posts, read 103,669 times

Advertisements

Keystone Cafe on 5th Street is my favorite for hearty and healthy breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
ima

6 posts, read 38,789 times
Nice pictures. The winding road looks like the one that leads to the Fox Hollow area. Is the Market of Choice you mentioned the one on Franklin Blvd near campus or the one out near N. Eugene High School?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,818 times
Default so many memories....

I am a 97 UO grad. I remember the Glenwood...wishing for a bowl of tomato cheese soup...it was the best-they always had dirty silverware though! Is Cafe Xenon still there?-I will never forget the linguisa pasta I always ordered.

Ice block sledding at midnight at the golf course near hendricks park was fun.

My mom attended UO in the early 60's.She would park her car along 18th street unlocked with her keys inside-never had a problem. I parked my car in the student dorm parking lot and got broken in twice. Had credit cards( what was I thinking keeping those the glovebox?) and stereo stolen.

I live back in Cali now. It's a nice place to visit but don't know if I could live there again.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 AM

22 posts, read 103,669 times
Market of Choice is at 29th Avenue & Willamette. I haven't been in Eugene in four years, so hopefully it's still there!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Quite agree. I lived there for years. First time I saw chicks with arm pit hair, and proud of it. Still, Always felt like I was visiting another country. But disagree a little bit with ya. Nothing can prepare you for Eugene. It has fantastic bike trails, one of the most beautiful College campus in the country. They Love Football Ducks like you boys in the south. Its close to the Ocean. The Girls are hot (except for the ones with arm pit hair). Im a liberal, so I fit in.
Heh. I'm an OSU alum. We have a mostly good natured rivalry going with U of O. The famous lyrics to Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever", AKA "Be Kind to Your Web Footed Friends" were composed at OSU.

"Be kind to your web-footed friends
For a duck may be somebody's mother
Be kind to your friends in the swamp
Where the weather is very, very damp [pronounced to rhyme with "swamp"]
Now, you may think that this is the end...
WELL, IT IS! "

Here's another one:

Q. How do you tell the bride from the groom at a Eugene wedding?

A. The bride is the one with the braided armpits.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,517 times
How is eugene for an interracial couple? are people pretty racist up there as it is mostly white?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Eugene itself seems to be a very tolerant town. We experienced racial tension in Texas and the Seattle area, but have never experienced anything negative with regards to race in Eugene.

Supposedly there are skinhead groups around... I've heard that they are mostly in the rural areas as well as in Southern Oregon. I see kids in downtown Eugene that dress like skinheads but who knows how serious they are? Downtown Eugene has been having problems with the homeless, misguided youth, and druggies. In our experience, though, Eugene has always been a very tolerant and compassionate town which seems to pride itself on it's acceptance of all types of people. I see a lot of diversity-themed bumper stickers. There's also a lot of Obama stickers!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Here's another one:

Q. How do you tell the bride from the groom at a Eugene wedding?

A. The bride is the one with the braided armpits.
Funny! lol I'm sending this to my husband. He is so grossed out by the large number of women here who don't shave! I constantly have to reassure him that personal hygiene habits are not contagious... and even if they are, I'm naturally immune to this one!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVic View Post
Anyone care to comment on quality of life, jobs and healthcare in these areas? Also, what about "collective mindset" as far as both wisely, and pragmatically considering evironment and development in order to sustain the communities in question in the future?
Portland will be more expensive all around, but will also of course offer more as far as jobs, housing options, lifestyle, running amuck fun, etc being that it's a much larger town. Eugene... well Eugene is my chosen home. I love it here. I could have lived and settled down several other places as my husband has moved us around quite a bit for his job... we could have stayed anywhere... but Eugene is home. We lived here, then left, and knew we had made a huge mistake in leaving... so it took a year but we came back. We plan to stay put. Eugene is wonderful... and if you and your husband are planning to set up a book shop - this would be a perfect place for it. We have a few book shops, one Border's and one Barnes and Noble... but i think for the number of avid readers, author's, and book lover's in this town - the ratio is currently unfairly unbalanced. We could totally use another locally-owned small book shop with soul and character. There are only about 4 or 5 currently that I know of. Tsunami Books probably being everyone's favorite with Smith Family Bookstores being a close second and third... Portland, however, has a ton of book shops, some of them quite famous!

Corvallis, too, might be worth considering... it's about 45 min. north of Eugene and there's OSU there as well... so it's still a college town. Not sure what the book shop situation is like there though.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 12,797 times
My family and I are traveling down from Medford on the 26th heading toward Eugene. We're staying in Eugene on November 26th. 27th (Thanksgiving Day) and leaving on the 28th. Can anybody suggest any sites a family should check out on our way up to Eugene and in the city and a great restaurant for a Thanksgiving Dinner. On the 28th we'll be heading back to Medford by evening. We're flying back on the 29th. Any suggestions for Medford/Ashland since we'll be there on the evening of the 24th, all day 25th, and part of the 28th and 29th ( we fly back home).

Last edited by Lorr97; 11-09-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area