Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,690 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm back from my trip to Eugene and Eugene is a magnificent place for a liberal young person. Okay, their bars suck... big time but I'm not a bar-type so that didn't bother me too much. Everything is very environmentally friendly and their food is organic and fresh. Everyone is really friendly even when I told them I was from California (my friends made me tell them that and I was very against the idea) but everyone was SOOO nice about it! I didn't get any looks or comments at all. People in Eugene seem to keep to their own business and not pay any attention to each other no matter how outlandish some may seem. I saw some pretty interesting characters while I was there... most people seem very unique in their style and personalities. People were friendly and said hello.

I learned that the worst areas of Eugene for all the crime you hear about are around the college area and downtown (college hill) is where most of the crime happens. Bikes get stolen and cars get stolen or broken into but their violent crime is very low. The good areas of Eugene are definitely north Eugene in the Santa Clara area and the South West hills which were BEAUTIFUL! A house in the Santa Clara area may run you about $180k but in the SW Hills for the same size house you may pay $220k. Clearly still a fantastic deal! I think they show the prices higher on the Internet for al the out of state buyers because when I inquired in person all the houses were listed pretty inexpensively. Maybe there was something wrong with them... I really don't know.

All in all, Eugene is a very funky free-spirited hippie town for sure. There's lots to do and see in my opinion and I met a lot of great people there. I'll be moving there within 6 months depending on my debt/bills situation. Check out some pictures I took of Eugene and check out the other threads for other pics - I put Portland pics in the Portland section.

These are of the University of Oregon - Gorgeous campus... beyond belief!

South Hills Eugene - People actually live in the nature parks... it was amazing:

Road in Eugene (I'm pretty sure this was in the south hills again)

Houses in the college hill area - very cute area but apparently where the crime happens - also most expensive!

It was foggy for a very short time over Eugene from Spencer's Butte:

If anyone has any specific questions to ask me about Eugene I can either answer them or if I don't know I can ask my friends from Eugene if they know. Just hit me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,599 times
Nice pictures all Des. If the airport was closer to town, I could be talked into Eugene. I landed our club Cessna in Eugene and got the red carpet treatment.

I have fond memories of Eugene. They have some great radio stations in town that I longed to work for when I was a DJ in Salem. Eugene is a great city no doubt about it.

Those pictures are terrific!

Dan

Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
What terrific pics Des!!! Some of those look like they could be in a brocure for UofO! Good job! Sure sounds like you fell in love w/Eugene.
Tiff

Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 PM

148 posts, read 238,915 times
The bars suck because the college students have parties (big parties too) and the non-college students are at home smoking... uh... herb...

I used to live in Eugene for awhile. Nice town, but can get kind of weird at times. Especially during the summer when there are no college students. Best way I could describe Eugene in the summer is a vortex of melancholiness.... hard to explain, but that is how it feels.

You must check out the Oregon Country Fair in July. It is right outside Eugene in Veneta.

http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah I've heard of the fair. It was described to me as a bunch of crazy nudist hippies haha. Sounds right up my alley. It was funny because everyone kept commenting on my very very clean dreads... I guess there aren't a lot of hippies up there who care about personal hygiene.

Eugene didn't seem very melancholly to me and I was there in the dead of winter. Who knows... I made some great friends there though and you're right, the house parties were off the hook! We had a good New Year's one but I had to be at the airport for CA at 5am!! That was such Hell!! My flight got cancelled and I had to sit in the airport for 6 hours... NEVER fly into or out of Eugene or anyplace in the Willamette valley for that matter in the evening or early early morning because the fog and weather conditions cause flights to be cancelled and that is just NO fun at all.

I found all my favorite shops were in Eugene though, especially Sweet Potato Pie! And REI had some awesome winter clothing for really really expensive and some nice mountain bikes. The very best place I found though was the Market of Choice which was the hugest market I had EVER seen!!! It was like a Whole Foods multiplied by 100. They had TONS of organic and whole foods, fresh produce and 2 Aisles of CHEESE!!!!!!!! If you know me well you'd know that that makes me verrrry happy. I love love love cheese. I could never be vegan I'm serious though... I took PICTURES of Market of Choice (and the cheese aisles haha) I was so excited about it!! It was a huge store... I can't even describe how huge.

Eugene in my opinion was heaven on earth... they were playing my absolute FAVORITE song as I walked into the U of O bookstore - it was like the mothership calling me home haha. I wear my Oregon slippers everywhere...

Old 01-05-2007, 03:52 PM

148 posts, read 238,915 times
Clean dredds? Wow!!! It takes talent (or a salon) to have good looking clean dreads. Many people just think they can stop washing their hair and rat it and it will look like nice dreads. WRONG!!!!! Maybe you can teach the people down there a thing or two.

My favorite restaurant in Eugene is .... is..... dang.... it is a little cafe in a house that is next to the 7-11 on the U of O campus. Get their home fries with cheese on them!!!!! Best you have ever had..... Man, what is the name.....

Old 01-05-2007, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 20,244 times
Moving to Eugene-what restaurants are good? I prefer mom and pop places rather than big franchises. Any BBQ? Restaurants that hire? I have 17 years exp. in the restaruant industry primarily cooking BBQ. How about a BBQ and crab shack??

Old 01-05-2007, 04:45 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Love that first photo.. if only you got the blonds butt. =) only kidding.. BUT really, the pic is awesome the tree and the ivy and the white building, and everything still so green in DEC. wow.

I bet that road one looks scary at night, if your used to flat desert like I am. The crime area does not look like a crime area.. looks very nice and upper middle class to me.

Again thank you for sharing your pictures.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Haha I have plenty of booty pictures from that trip too! Can't post those though

Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,599 times
Being a car lover, I love the twist in that road!! That is an award winning picture if I ever saw one.

Des, you take some pretty good pictures.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area