Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are European women just not as big on race when it comes to dating?
No, they care way less about race, it really means nothing to them 21 17.50%
They care but not the extent that American women do 42 35.00%
They care just as much as American women 25 20.83%
They care about it even more 32 26.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:56 AM

35 posts, read 153,963 times

Advertisements

I lived in the US and now in Europe and the US should be renamed the United States of Racial obsession!!

I have never come across another society in which race plays such an important role on everyday life.... I find it to be so energy draining, so annoying, so redundant... yet Americans are totally nuts about RACE!

It's the only society on the planet where even stars get DNA tested and then show the results on national TV!!!!! George Lopez did it, so did Jessica de Alba and some other American famous media people!!!

I remember chatting with Europeans and South Americans and they never asked me what race I am.... they ask you other stuff, like where are you from, what do you do for a living etc...... With Americans they always ask you (LOCATION, GENDER, RACE?)

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,282,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xutka View Post

I remember chatting with Europeans and South Americans and they never asked me what race I am.... they ask you other stuff, like where are you from, what do you do for a living etc...... With Americans they always ask you (LOCATION, GENDER, RACE?)
You're out of your mind.

I'm american and I have never had anyone ever come up to me and ask me my Race, Gender, Location.

You must be one freaky looking person to get those questions.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 AM

35 posts, read 153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You're out of your mind.

I'm american and I have never had anyone ever come up to me and ask me my Race, Gender, Location.

You must be one freaky looking person to get those questions.
maybe you're an exception? perhaps you're one of the few Americans that actually has a clue and an education?

truth is, the less educated, the less travelled an american tends to be, the more racist, ignorant and racially infatuated he/she is. (look at black americans for example, as a social group they are ABSOLUTELY INFATUATED WITH RACE!!!)

Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
maybe you're an exception? perhaps you're one of the few Americans that actually has a clue and an education?

truth is, the less educated, the less travelled an american tends to be, the more racist, ignorant and racially infatuated he/she is. (look at black americans for example, as a social group they are ABSOLUTELY INFATUATED WITH RACE!!!)
Where were you living or visiting in the States? It's incredibly different in different places.

Generally speaking, white americans are not infatuated by race, because we're the majority. The majority seldom thinks of the minority.

Blacks have long been the minority, so yeah, they are very conscious of race and what it means to be black in a white world.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM

331 posts, read 736,596 times
I’m British of Indian heritage born and raised in UK, now living in Los Angeles.

In UK many white women are very open to dating guys of other races. In my experience most will date black guys, and a lot will date South Asian or Middle Eastern guys. They’re not keen on East-Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) guys. In fact where I was growing up not a single Indian guy was with an Indian girl. They were all dating white or Italian girls.

Many of my male relatives and friends are married to white women. From what I’ve seen Indian guys have got it pretty bad in the US in the dating scene BUT I think it depends on where the Indian guy is from too. A lot of American women dislike Indian accents. My accent is British so that’s not really a problem. I don’t expect many British-Indian or Indian-American guys to have too much difficulty getting white women in US.

I find it funny when I read messages that say they never seen Indian guys or girls with other races – well a lot of my US based relatives are with non-Indians too. I haven’t been on a date with an Indian lady since January, my most recent dates have been white, Korean and Japanese.

The thing is, a lot of Indians don’t want a white partner – has anybody ever considered that? A lot don't see it as a step up, some see it as a step down

A lot of European women love guys who are tanned or black too. I know Indian guys in Germany and Italy, and they’ve all dated or married local women there. A lot of Italian men love black women.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 PM

26,847 posts, read 22,675,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post

The thing is, a lot of Indians don’t want a white partner – has anybody ever considered that? A lot don't see it as a step up, some see it as a step down
I was wondering about that one too - why no one so far have guessed that White woman is not always "it" for Indians ( or any other Asian for this matter.) Indian culture seems to be very traditional in many ways, so I can see how dating can be one thing, but looking for a partner is another.
I used to know one lovely Indian couple living in the US; the guy was very educated, very successful - he could easily marry White woman I suppose, but I could see as well why he has chosen Indian girl. Not your "shy submissive type" by the way, but very educated and emancipated person, yet you could see how their common background was bonding them.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM

331 posts, read 736,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I was wondering about that one too - why no one so far have guessed that White woman is not always "it" for Indians ( or any other Asian for this matter.) Indian culture seems to be very traditional in many ways, so I can see how dating can be one thing, but looking for a partner is another.
I used to know one lovely Indian couple living in the US; the guy was very educated, very successful - he could easily marry White woman I suppose, but I could see as well why he has chosen Indian girl. Not your "shy submissive type" by the way, but very educated and emancipated person, yet you could see how their common background was bonding them.
I've heard Indians say that if you date another Indian, you don't have to explain certain cultural things, the other person just knows, and it makes life a lot easier.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighters22 View Post
what is your brother?

I can guess east asians are moving up but south asians are way down on the ladder. never seen too many cases of indian or pakistani men marrying any women other than their own, seen it in some cases but usually it is an indian med student with an average to below average looking white girl

Dude I know lots of Pakistani and Indian men who are married to Non South Asian women whoa aren;t doctors but I live in NY. I have seen tons of white guys quite jealous when they see white women with men of different races. Ask a white chick if they ever dated a black guy, how hard it is to be be in a serious relationship with a white guy afterwards. Not sure if everyone will agree to it but its difficult because most white guys don;t want white women after an experience like that. A lot of my friends had that feeling and perception.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,552,642 times
Quote:
I lived in the US and now in Europe and the US should be renamed the United States of Racial obsession!!

I have never come across another society in which race plays such an important role on everyday life.... I find it to be so energy draining, so annoying, so redundant... yet Americans are totally nuts about RACE!

It's the only society on the planet where even stars get DNA tested and then show the results on national TV!!!!! George Lopez did it, so did Jessica de Alba and some other American famous media people!!!

Agree. I actually never thought about race myself until i went to USA in year 2000 and people were always focusing on other peoples race. Here in Argentina we dont have an issue (not in the media, not something people discuss) about race and its not something is talked about. Of course theres discrimination (specially to people from neighboring countries like Peru and Bolivia, cause its full of them here searching for better opportunities and for the people that discriminate those are "negros" that come here to be criminals), but its not focused on race, more on social status.
Also, the countrie i live is not so racially diverse as USA, not even close (97% white, say statistics), so maybe if we had the racial diverse USA has, the issue would be more present in everyday life?

I still find it odd how people cares what race is this or that actor. I swear it never croseed my mind until i lurked the imdb forums. Weird.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Dude I know lots of Pakistani and Indian men who are married to Non South Asian women whoa aren;t doctors but I live in NY. I have seen tons of white guys quite jealous when they see white women with men of different races. Ask a white chick if they ever dated a black guy, how hard it is to be be in a serious relationship with a white guy afterwards. Not sure if everyone will agree to it but its difficult because most white guys don;t want white women after an experience like that. A lot of my friends had that feeling and perception.
I've heard that rumor among the black community. Never made sense though. I'm white and never met a white person that cared.

What I see is that everyone has their own preferences. If a white girl dates black guys, it's because she prefers black guys. It's not because "whites won't have her" - that's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.