Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are European women just not as big on race when it comes to dating?
No, they care way less about race, it really means nothing to them 21 17.50%
They care but not the extent that American women do 42 35.00%
They care just as much as American women 25 20.83%
They care about it even more 32 26.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 PM

973 posts, read 1,707,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just in Southern States? Okay, Houston, Atlanta and Washington DC...the three main cities of the South. All three have very sizeable and well-known AFRICAN immigrants from the African continent.

THey are well known for their high education, and being a very successful immigrant group. THey are often ranked with Asian groups for both education attainments and later incomes. Higher incomes than your average American income.

We have so many anti-discrimination laws and affirmitive action laws, that it's real easy for an African person with their values to excel very well in the U.S., and they do - statistically you can look it up, and see it all over the web.

Our African emigrants are some of our most successful immigrants. If you don't want Africans in Europe, send them to the U.S., statistically they reach high levels of educational and financial success in the U.S.
This really struck me. If this is true, then why aren't the Blacks who have been here for generations as educated and successful???

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 15,097,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
This really struck me. If this is true, then why aren't the Blacks who have been here for generations as educated and successful???
Back in my college days, I became friends with a guy from the Congo and that was a question he used to ask himself. He even asked me, but at that time I had no answers for him since I'm not an African American nor had I wondered about this.

Apparently, many African immigrants shun the African American community due to this. They often see how African immigrants that just got off the boat progress while African Americans that have been in the States for hundreds of years are still in the ghetto.

This is not entirely true, many AA's have progressed, but it is a perception that exist out there among people, even among recent African immigrants.

I also used to have a Pakistani friend and he used to wonder the same thing.

Maybe something similar is happening in Europe.

What most people don't realize is that people that become immigrants, they tend to be the more motivated of the bunch. This probably explains why many immigrant groups reach greater success than other long established ethnicities and this happens everywhere, not just in one particular country.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM

27,688 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
African immigrants to the U.S. in recent decades tend to be from the highly educated stata of their societies. It's largely a brain drain thing.

By contrast, we know the history is very different for African Americans that have been in the U.S. for centuries. Their climb out of poverty is much harder.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-19-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,272,756 times
Quote:
There are African-Americans who are very educated and very successful. Washington DC has entire black suburbs that are some of the wealthiest in the nation.

But if you're asking why aren't all 40 million throughout every American city in the U.S., why aren't they all educated and successful. Probably the same reasion that not all white Americans are all educated and successful.

It comes down to your family's perception on education. Poor white people don't always value education, and neither do poor black people. Even worse among poor black (and native Americans for that matter), among some of those groups, education is perceived to be a 'white' thing to do. To be fair, American history IS very euro-centric. Than you add things like declining family structure, drug epidemics and gang cultures that ravage the U.S., on and on. Past racism also gets in the pysche of older family members who pass it on to the current generations. 'Ghetto mentalities' don't help either among the poorest neighborhoods, and some African-American leaders even blame rap music.

I think largely African-Africans from Africa escape all of this because they come to the U.S. with education and financial success in mind. Their families grill it into them. Basically, they come from a different mindset, approach, a set of values, a focus and purpose. They excel.

To be fair, there are many African-American born Americans who also have families like this, and excel as well. It's a bit of a disservice when people focus and assume all African-Americans to be 'bad', when actually there are a ton of successful and well-educated African-Americans as well. If you are curious about them, they are called 'buppies' - i.e black and yuppie. However, there are also a ton of very hard-working working class African-Americans, so we shouldn't completely dismiss them for not being highly educated either.

But anyways, probably the 3rd paragraph might explain why not all 40 million are well-educated and successful.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,850,768 times
I am from Serbia, Europe. Although I've moved to USA 6 years ago, I lived there for 17 years, and I visited almost every country in Europe. Even though I am not like this, I can tell you, based on many people I know, that people over there do care more about race than people here. Sure, there are interracial couples there as well, but, usually, although while people might date other races, usually they marry within the same. This holds true for other races as well. Again, those are my observations. Unless...you have a lot of money...I know a lot of friends and friends of friends who don't really care about race if you have money...then, they suddenly find you attractive.

Generally speaking, I think that most of Europe is sadly very racist...Again, this is just what I observed...it doesn't mean it's the case with everybody.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM

27,688 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
There's a great difference between immigration from Mexico and immigration from e.g. Morroco. Mexicans are Christian or have Christian-based values and they speak an Indo-European language. Furthermore, since they border on the USA they are much more familiar with American culture than are Morrocons who move to continental European countries. The USA is far more heterogeneous than Europe, its society is built by immigrants and most ethnicities are represented in American society so new immigrants will generally find it much easier to "feel at home" there. Europe has far more distinct national cultures and new, non-Western immigrants are usually not familiar with the languages and customs of continental European cultures, so they have more difficulties integrating. The culture-clash is just much bigger. I don't think this is surprising and I don't see how this would reflect badly on Europeans. It's entirely normal for 99% of countries in the world. If a German would choose to move to Pakistan, he is also expected to learn the local language and respect the local customs so why wouldn't the same be required vice-versa?
I understand what you're saying. I also know that Europe is not the U.S. I'm just pointing out that, in an American context, your point of view would indeed be considered racist and discriminatory. Using arguments about cultural differences as a mask to keep people segregated and to isolate minorities and new immigrants is very old in the U.S. In fact, most people in polite society long ago abandoned such arguments in public discourse.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,092,270 times
A man hooks up with a white woman in Sweden...sorry, but statistically speaking what else is he going to find?

And using a select group of college girls from Virginia is hardly representative of American women.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,117,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
I am from Serbia, Europe. Although I've moved to USA 6 years ago, I lived there for 17 years, and I visited almost every country in Europe. Even though I am not like this, I can tell you, based on many people I know, that people over there do care more about race than people here. Sure, there are interracial couples there as well, but, usually, although while people might date other races, usually they marry within the same. This holds true for other races as well. Again, those are my observations. Unless...you have a lot of money...I know a lot of friends and friends of friends who don't really care about race if you have money...then, they suddenly find you attractive.

Generally speaking, I think that most of Europe is sadly very racist...Again, this is just what I observed...it doesn't mean it's the case with everybody.
-----

Yes, you're right. Not only that, the nationalistic mouvements springing all around Europe are creating "bubbles" of identities that work against national or European integration. For example, many Spanish feel foreign in some parts of Spain, many Belgians feel foreign in certain parts of Belgium, the same goes with Italy, etc.

And yes, unfortunately many nationalistic mouvements also claim "racial" identity. Nationalism have generated so much hatred and mistrust that we can talk about racism exerted against Europeans living in their country.

Just the other day I saw a black Nationalistic leader in a Catalan Separatist Party, they rather have a black than a Spanish. Quite grotesque, really, since pure-blooded Catalans are just a ficklish minority. Europe is full of s.h.i.t.

Just to summarize, in many cases there's so much hate between European regions that there's no hate to spare for non European foreigners.

Last edited by Manolón; 09-20-2011 at 04:11 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,252,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I understand what you're saying. I also know that Europe is not the U.S. I'm just pointing out that, in an American context, your point of view would indeed be considered racist and discriminatory. Using arguments about cultural differences as a mask to keep people segregated and to isolate minorities and new immigrants is very old in the U.S. In fact, most people in polite society long ago abandoned such arguments in public discourse.
That's not my point. Immigrants can integrate successfully here, and the vast majority do, as long as they make an effort to learn the local language and accept the local laws and values. If they feel they can't do that or aren't willing to make that effort, there are plenty of other countries they can move to.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,252,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post

That explains it Serbia has long been known to be one of the most racist countries in Europe. The Balkans in general don't have a great reputation when it comes to this.

You may have 'visited' other countries in Europe, but I highly doubt that you could understand those nations' mindsets during those brief visits. Of course you're going to find most people marrying within their race when 95% of the population is of the same race (and even more in EE countries).

I am not saying that racism doesn't exist in Europe but it certainly isn't more present than anywhere else in the world, let alone the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe