Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,714,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No, I have not considered that. Because they do come here and i'm pretty sure this is one of the top places to visit in Europe thank you very much. The number of Americans down at the giants causeway every-time i go down says it all and you know what there is a charity box down there and it is full of dollars.
If it makes you feel better. Sure, they go there like I did. Doesn't mean they will have a positive experience and that they will come back. The UK isn't as popular to go to in Europe as a couple of mainland countries but perhaps this year it will be higher and it should. The Olympics are over there and it would be pathetic if it wasn't number one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,393,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If it makes you feel better. Sure, they go there like I did. Doesn't mean they will have a positive experience and that they will come back. The UK isn't as popular to go to in Europe as a couple of mainland countries but perhaps this year it will be higher and it should. The Olympics are over there and it would be pathetic if it wasn't number one.
The UK is and has always been a very popular US tourist destination.

The top ten tourist destinations worldwide are:

France
US
China
Spain
Italy
Turkey
UK
Germany
Malaysia
Mexico
World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BUT - the top overseas tourist destination for Americans is the UK. (Mexico and Canada are the first two, but they are not overseas.)
Top 20 countries Americans visit most - Travel - Destination Travel - NBCNews.com

My husband and I are headed there in spring of 2013!!! And my daughter is MOVING there in a few weeks (for four years). It was her top choice of destination and we are thrilled that she's headed that way.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,952,719 times
Quote:
Ok thats fine you don't like the UK but stop running us down. As for the UK not being the top destination for Americans I would be surprised about that considering we are one of the few countries in Europe that have at least one flight to the USA from each regional airport. Americans have quite alot of links with the UK so I would doubt that any other country in europe would get more american visitors than the UK especially since we speak english here.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,134,216 times
I worked in aviation Paul and there are 3 Daily flights to the USA alone (majority of the passengers being American) that was only from Glasgow. Plenty of American tourists in Scotland they're everywhere

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The UK is and has always been a very popular US tourist destination.

The top ten tourist destinations worldwide are:

France
US
China
Spain
Italy
Turkey
UK
Germany
Malaysia
Mexico
World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BUT - the top overseas tourist destination for Americans is the UK. (Mexico and Canada are the first two, but they are not overseas.)
Top 20 countries Americans visit most - Travel - Destination Travel - NBCNews.com

My husband and I are headed there in spring of 2013!!! And my daughter is MOVING there in a few weeks (for four years). It was her top choice of destination and we are thrilled that she's headed that way.
Why are you linking your sources? I've already read them months ago and I didn't ask for them. Anyway, The UK separately is not the most popular destination. It's France (it was Italy until like 3 years ago) and I was offered to move there to study abroad for free. I couldn't say no fast enough. I moved to France and then Japan. I rather pay my own way than live in the UK free. The weather was just too unstable for my liking.

Quote:
Ok thats fine you don't like the UK but stop running us down. As for the UK not being the top destination for Americans I would be surprised about that considering we are one of the few countries in Europe that have at least one flight to the USA from each regional airport. Americans have quite alot of links with the UK so I would doubt that any other country in europe would get more american visitors than the UK especially since we speak english here.
I was wrong in my wording. I was really referring to England not the entire UK. That's not fair on the mainland Europe. If you are really think I'm running you down then I think that you are being so touchy.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-06-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,495,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Before there was the minivan, there was the station wagon. Still roomy, able to carry a lot of kids as well as a lot of gear. As far as looks goes, I don't think any SUV's would win a beauty contest. The TV and other features were for long road trips to vacation destinations, to deal with the "MOM, are we THERE YET?" problem to keep kids entertained. They were an optional feature.

We still haven't answered the question of how or why, once a loophole in import tax regs had been created, suddenly the American public became convinced it suddenly needed trucks instead of the other options families had been happy with until then.
If you want to know why the station wagon gave way to the SUV, one need look no further than EPA fuel economy standards that effectively regulated full-sized station wagons out of the marketplace while favoring anything classified as a "truck." It's not a big mystery. The fact is the federal government had a lot more to do with the shift in buying habits than the auto manufacturers did. All the latter did was work the regulations promulgated by the former to their advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
They are either SUVs or huge cars that all look the same. They all have automatic transmission because Americans are too lazy to shift gears manually.
After 15 years of driving manuals, I finally got tired of stepping on a clutch pedal several hundred times during my commute to and from work through the gridlocked Hell that is Chicago traffic -- sometimes dozens of times within a few hundred meters. There's no reason why I should if I don't have to -- not least of all because you might think I'm lazy. I like not having my left knee be sore by the time I get home from work. If you think that makes me lazy, that's just too bad.

Last edited by Drover; 08-06-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,393,718 times
Quote:
Quote:
Why are you linking your sources?
So I can show that I'm not spouting my own opinion as fact - or pulling stats out of my arse.

Quote:
I've already read them months ago and I didn't ask for them.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. I validate my claims, or clearly state they are simply my opinion. If you don't care for that style, feel free to ignore my posts.

Quote:
Anyway, The UK separately is not the most popular destination.
What's that got to do with the price of milk? I never claimed it was. What I was showing is that YOUR claim that the UK is NOT a popular destination with Americans is, well, false. It's quite popular.

Quote:
It's France (it was Italy until like 3 years ago) and I was offered to move there to study abroad for free. I couldn't say no fast enough.
To each his own. My daughter specifically requested the UK as an assignment, and got it, and we're all thrilled for her. I can't wait to visit her there.

Quote:
I rather pay my own way than live in the UK free. The weather was just too unstable for my liking.
Like I said, to each his own. You didn't care for the weather. I don't think I would mind the weather. I lived in a very cold, rainy area of Germany for several years and the rain and cold simply didn't ever bother me. So what? It's just a personal preference. You're entitled to it, but I don't see the need for you to continue lambasting a country you don't care for. You've made your position painfully obvious. You don't like the UK - so don't go there. Others do like it, so leave them be.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:56 PM

I meant England and I apologized for it. I'm sorry that I didn't correct my post. It doesn't mean you have to run to its defense just because your daughter happened to be going to it. Yeah, let's compare 4 countries to standalone nations because that's really fair. The UK as a whole SHOULD have more but again, I failed to single out England. Then again, it just shows I don't even care enough about the UK (separately and as a whole) to remember that I need to distinguish them from each other.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,952,719 times
Just like the rest of Americans. No offence but yoU are all so self-absorbed in your own countries glory that you couldn't even be boThered to learn about other countries.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Just like the rest of Americans. No offence but yoU are all so self-absorbed in your own countries glory that you couldn't even be boThered to learn about other countries.
Do you capitalize letters where you see fit? LOL, you couldn't be more wrong. I've lived in many countries and have been nearly all around the world. I've visited EVERY continent except Antarctica. I'm not nearly as self-absorbed as you think. The job I do takes me to see or talk to people from all around the world. I kind of HAVE to learn about other countries. Just because I don't like to visit the UK doesn't mean I don't like the rest of the world. For the most part, I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe