Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,147,804 times

Advertisements

I have:

US: 2.1
France: 2.0
UK: 1.94

according to Google / World Bank.

You have to remember that fertility rates increased in the later two countries quite rapidly in recent years. I remember in 2007 when I did a paper on low European fertility and the rates I came up with were quite different (France, I think, was 1.9, and the UK about 1.6). The U.S.'s has stayed relatively stable for at least the past 10-20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,147,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Yes!
My son's High School is the same. I guess it's too expensive to buy land on main roads to build schools on in most places, so you end up with this situation.
I agree re AMerican cars being inferior.They don't make cars that get reasonable consumption, lower emissions and ALSO good horsepower.
My high school was like that, too. I suppose it wasn't so much an issue of land costs as the space between houses and the disparagement of non-motorized forms of transportation common with new drivers that age. A one-acre lot was small in my district, for example, and virtually nobody lived in apartments (although many lived in trailer courts). I specifically remember walking around campus getting footage in "TV Production" class in 9th grade and a senior seeing a bicycle in the school's lone bike rack and saying in a ridiculing tone, "WHO would ride their bike to school?", or in 12th grade myself, when I was kicked out of the parking lot for a short time (long story), parking at the house of a friend who lived near the school (about 500 yards), walking to school for about three or four days, only to be met with amazement by him about how I walked and didn't just ride with him!

I think it is becoming less this way, however. Fewer kids are getting their licenses, though I still can't see it being "socially acceptable" for a high school senior to ride the school bus. (I know I would not want to when I was that age, although I rode it without any tragic embarrassment in 11th grade)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 209,721 times
I'm from the Netherlands...and i LOVE American muscles (especially the older ones from the early 70's). Other cars...mwah

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
If you think Dutch & Germans are anywhere near as fat as merkins, you need to clarify something for yourself.
Use the internet, I believe it's handy just now.
No need -I travel to Europe, and specifically Germany and the Netherlands, often. I'm quite familiar with the people of both countries.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No need -I travel to Europe, and specifically Germany and the Netherlands, often. I'm quite familiar with the people of both countries.
Maybe Germany but I travel to the Netherlands often and I always am a bit impressed that you almost never see a fat Dutch person.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Maybe Germany but I travel to the Netherlands often and I always am a bit impressed that you almost never see a fat Dutch person.
I don't mean just overweight. I also mean tall, when it comes to the size of a person. Generally speaking, the Dutch are very tall. In fact, they are the tallest people in the world as a nation. (males twenty and older)

At an average height of 5-foot-11 (181,0 cm), the Netherlands has the tallest average height amongst males twenty years old and older.
Average Height by Country (Males >20 years) |

Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM

567 posts, read 1,121,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
What do Europeans think of American cars
I was in Bergen, Norway, and I stumbled across a large outdoor car show of the American Car Club right in the middle of town. They had some fine old American boats on display, I was thoroughly impressed. It was like a classic car show back in the States.

Somewhat related, a lot of Europeans are fascinated by American biker culture and Harley Davidsons. And, a lot of people, old and young, dream of going on the Great American Coast-to-Coast Road Trip, though more likely with a rented Toyota Camry than with a pink Cadillac or a Harley.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,249,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So why don't the Dutch and the Germans drive more SUVs and minivans? They're pretty big, hefty people!

I think lack of parking space, narrower roads, more expensive cars and higher gasoline costs would be a better explanation.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 AM

308 posts, read 897,872 times
Europe is not designed for such big vehicles, so it wont make sense to compare. go ahead and try to park your truck in a European capital .

now when you look at pickup trucks only in American context, I suppose they have some utilitarian use if your job is a farmer or a construction worker, but realistically, how often do you really use the pickup trucks for what they are designed? not sure.

we do like the crazy powerful American muscle cars, especially the old ones. they are rediculous and grotesque in their own way, but nothing wrong with that, men like this type of stuff...

but I can definitely assure you that European cars are more stylish and have more sophisticated interior design, so we view American cars as musculine and powerful, but ugly.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

I think lack of parking space, narrower roads, more expensive cars and higher gasoline costs would be a better explanation.
I was being facetious when I asked that question! It was in response to the assertion by someone that the reason why Americans drive big cars is because we're overweight.

Which is a pretty ridiculous assertion. So I answered it with ridiculosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe