Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,322,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
Europe is not designed for such big vehicles, so it wont make sense to compare. go ahead and try to park your truck in a European capital .

now when you look at pickup trucks only in American context, I suppose they have some utilitarian use if your job is a farmer or a construction worker, but realistically, how often do you really use the pickup trucks for what they are designed? not sure.

we do like the crazy powerful American muscle cars, especially the old ones. they are rediculous and grotesque in their own way, but nothing wrong with that, men like this type of stuff...

but I can definitely assure you that European cars are more stylish and have more sophisticated interior design, so we view American cars as musculine and powerful, but ugly.
There are many U.S. industries (small and large) which necessitate driving a pickup. I know the Thoroughbred as well as Standardbred racing businesses are largely made up of hardworking individuals who cut their costs by pricing and hauling their own hay, feed, vitamins, etc. They also transport their horses from track to track for racing opportunities, which is more convenient and sometimes (not always) less expensive than having them professionally vanned.

Ask any Farrier, Veterinarian, or other horse related vendor how they would manage without their pickup trucks and I suspect you would hear that their work would become more cumbersome. A station wagon just doesn't cut it when you are working in an environment of worn out mud roads in and around farms stables, and barns. Just the view from my lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
There are many U.S. industries (small and large) which necessitate driving a pickup. I know the Thoroughbred as well as Standardbred racing businesses are largely made up of hardworking individuals who cut their costs by pricing and hauling their own hay, feed, vitamins, etc. They also transport their horses from track to track for racing opportunities, which is more convenient and sometimes (not always) less expensive than having them professionally vanned.

Ask any Farrier, Veterinarian, or other horse related vendor how they would manage without their pickup trucks and I suspect you would hear that their work would become more cumbersome. A station wagon just doesn't cut it when you are working in an environment of worn out mud roads in and around farms stables, and barns. Just the view from my lens.
Right, and my husband, who works at the top of a mountain in West Virginia, absolutely MUST have a large, four wheel drive truck in his line of work (oilfield).

I don't expect some people, though, to truly grasp that there are legitimate differences and needs in different regions of the world. Some people simply must put others down in order to feel good about themselves.

So sophomoric.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,899,073 times
I think they are good. They aren't that much different to the Cars that we have in the UK because alot of our cars are American and in recent years American cars have started to become very common for example chevrolet. The thing that we have different to Americans here are the Lorries, their lorries are different and they are far better. The British lorries are boring.

I think Car size and usage depends on the country and area. If you live on the Island of Ireland like me then the cars will be quite big because we drive everywhere but if you live in a city like amsterdam the cars will be small because they have a much better rail system. Or in Rome where they all drive motorbikes, we hardly drive them here.

Last edited by Mac15; 08-01-2012 at 03:36 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
What do Europeans think of American cars (specifically pickup trucks? Now I know that SUV's and Pickups are not driven because of small streets, high gas prices, road taxes, among other things.

But that aside, I'm just curious what the perception of a typical large American auto is to Europeans in general.

I've always heard they think we are ignorant and stupid for driving such big cars! Admittedly, there are far too many on the roads today that are used for transportation. But suppose Europe did not have all those constraints, would pickups be more popular as general recreation, daily driver vehicles?
I don't know about you but the streets near me aren't small. Not all of Europe is like london. Infact the roads near me are the same width as a standard American road- each lane is 12feet wide.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,119,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I don't know about you but the streets near me aren't small. Not all of Europe is like london. Infact the roads near me are the same width as a standard American road- each lane is 12feet wide.
Likewise in Spain, it reminded me of parts of the US out in the main highways as they would call it, you can drive for miles in some regions and see nothing. Though the old towns take some skilled bit of driving especially where I live, the new town is big and open with big gardens and roads, but 10 minutes walk is the old town with very narrow streets. It´s beautiful contrasts. The roads in Spain are much wider than in Scotland.

I believe too many Americans judge by a specific place when really all of Europe is different.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 AM

Oh, I agree Americans do generalise and put us all under one bracket. When it comes to roads in europe that isn't a good idea. Like putting England into the same group as Italy would be silly because in Italy especially Rome they nearly all drive motorbikes whereas in England its cars.

Inland spain reminded me on the daykotas.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,119,924 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree Americans do generalise and put us all under one bracket. When it comes to roads in europe that isn't a good idea. Like putting England into the same group as Italy would be silly because in Italy especially Rome they nearly all drive motorbikes whereas in England its cars.

Inland spain reminded me on the daykotas.
Driving in Spain for me is completely different to Scotland. Even driving in the highlands of Scotland is different to where I come from in the lowlands. Inland Spain to me was very like NM, AZ and a bit of the Dakota´s like you say especially in Castile La Mancha, Extremadura. Driving in Andalucía is very diverse and fun - I suppose it´s similar looking to CA in some respects.

Greece was a different story lol.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM

684 posts, read 826,011 times
Cadillac came out with a concept car that myself and quite a lot of other people enjoyed:

The Ciel.

Such overwhelming interest was had in this car that Cadillac decided to integrate some of the Ciel's design characteristics in their luxury vehicles, only they intended to tone it down for their Omega lineup.

I was a bit disgruntled at that. The Ciel is everything wonderful about an American car. It is luxurious, with classic styling reimagined for the modern day and looked like it would eat any other car on the road.

Toning it down feels like they're removing the heart and soul of what was the only Cadillac to have interested me in years.

Hope springs eternal, however. If Cadillac decides to issue its Omega as the monster that is the Ciel, expect that I will buy the very first one that rolls in to the lot.

Cadillac: This challenge is for you. The reason you had billionaires climbing over themselves to see your concept Ciel is because it was something so radical and wonderful that it deserved attention and respect.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,322,273 times
Quote:
I think they are good. They aren't that much different to the Cars that we have in the UK because alot of our cars are American and in recent years American cars have started to become very common for example chevrolet. The thing that we have different to Americans here are the Lorries, their lorries are different and they are far better. The British lorries are boring.

I think Car size and usage depends on the country and area. If you live on the Island of Ireland like me then the cars will be quite big because we drive everywhere but if you live in a city like amsterdam the cars will be small because they have a much better rail system. Or in Rome where they all drive motorbikes, we hardly drive them here.

It's very pleasant when one reads a forum post in which the poster has replied with the voice of reason and reasonable logic. Very nice indeed!

Best regards, sincerely

HIW..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Driving in Spain for me is completely different to Scotland. Even driving in the highlands of Scotland is different to where I come from in the lowlands. Inland Spain to me was very like NM, AZ and a bit of the Dakota´s like you say especially in Castile La Mancha, Extremadura. Driving in Andalucía is very diverse and fun - I suppose it´s similar looking to CA in some respects.

Greece was a different story lol.
Oh yes, Scotland is similar to here in that we have loads of windy roads, however we are upgrading alot of our roads to dual carriageway so they have to be straighter now.

I have been to the daykotas and I thought it was weird but fascinating how their roads were so straight. It was rather boring though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe