Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Perhaps, this is due to wear and tear communications 90s. when the pipe repair almost failed.
Most likely that's the reason.
I assure you that older Soviet toilets were vortexes of power; those built in Stalin's times in particular)))
What has been built in Brezhnev's times ( and certain apartment types under Khrushev) - that's the stuff I think that went down the tube fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 06:25 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you talking about when Russians colonized Siberia and the Far East? Well first, they brought Russian Orthodoxy with them, and tried to convert Native peoples to that religion, though they weren't successful, except in Alaska. But the Native people in Russia did have to be baptized, and to Russify their names in the process (adding "-ov" to the end of their surnames). But as I posted before, there was a boarding-school system (интернаты) for the Small-In-Number Peoples of the North (numerically small народы севера), and through this some Native people lost their language. As in the West, they weren't allowed to speak their language in the boarding schools, according to some Native people.

But the Soviet system in some ways was pretty good at supporting Native culture, and incorporating Native subsistence traditions (reindeer herding and fishing) into the local economy. (Though under Stalin, collectivization of their herds and fishing activities was forced on them.) And Lenin fully supported the development of Native language and literature. But his policies were not continued by Stalin and subsequent leaders. After Stalin, Native language instruction in the day schools became more and more limited.

On the other hand, the Soviet system did everything it could to destroy shamanism and other aspects of Native spiritual beliefs (which were labeled "superstition"). In Yakutia they were very successful. There are no shamans among the Yakuts. Elsewhere, shamanism was able to survive by going underground. And since 1991, it has enjoyed a revival.

So overall, the story is a mixed bag in Russia--there were some bright spots, but also some dark aspects to Native policy.
Let's start with the fact that Russian also forced to convert to Christianity. Russian true faith is far from Christianity. I do not agree with you. Russian are not forced (locals) to accept Christianity, Russian culture and language of force. it is a simple Russian people was the basis of colonization. Ordinary people but rather assimilated colonized these lands. Since the common people was closer to the locals than the nobles and princes. So I disagree with you. As for the dark spots naturally they were like in any other country. As for Lenin and Stalin is another story, as it is completely different century, hundreds of years after colonization. so that you have a very vague time frame that gives you no right perception of the true history.
For a few decades, the Russian people have mastered the enormous, though sparsely populated area in the Far East, stifling aggression West. Inclusion in Muscovy vast territories was carried out not by the extermination of peoples merged or violence against the traditions and faith of the local population, but at the expense of trade relations with the indigenous peoples of Russian or voluntary transition of peoples under the hand of the king of Moscow.
Thus, the beginning of accession and the development of Siberia was initiated by non-governmental units, and come from the people who liberated the Khanty, Mansi, Bashkirs, Tatars and other Western Siberian peoples from the yoke of the descendants chingisieds. Russian government used the victory to extend its authority to Siberia.But I can say that the Russian lived in Siberia long before Ivan the Terrible, the official story does not say, but others say the facts.

The main difference from the Russian multinational empires of the West lay in the fact that it owes its origin not only, or even , perhaps, not so much winning as peaceful peasant colonization and voluntary accession to the non-Russian peoples . The main features of peasant colonization persisted in 16 and in 17 -19 centuries. None of the agricultural people , whether in the Volga region , on the shores of the Baltic Sea , the Caucasus and Central Asia , the land not taken ..Nowhere Russian immigrants not infringed vital interests and nomadic population . Nowhere Russian community resembles a British colony , never kept apart - arrogantly against the "natives ." Everywhere it grows organically into the surrounding environment of those lands , economic ties with her , friendly and family ties , to grow together with her everywhere , serves as a link between the non-Russian and Russian . There not was complex " people - master(lord)" on the one hand , there was not a reaction to it and - on the other , but because instead of a wall of alienation forges link connection .Russian settlers and the administration of the bulk easily installed fruitful contacts with the peoples of the Far East. No wonder the Russian opposition migration was so insignificant. Conflicts with the Russian , if they occurred at the beginning were resolved quickly and did not have serious consequences in the form of ethnic strife . The only practical consequence of the presence of Russian Aboriginal became tribute , payment of one or two a year sables which inogorodtsy understood as a gift, as a courtesy , " the white king ." With huge resources fur tribute was negligible , while hitting the lists of " yasashnyh " inogorodtsev local resident received from the central government firm guarantees protection of life and property. No governor had no right to execute " yasashnogo " inogorodtsa : for any crimes case sends a consideration in Moscow and Moscow Aboriginal death sentences has never claimed .Thus , the colonization of Russian Far East was not like any extermination of Native American Anglo-Saxons or the slave trade, asking the French and Portuguese adventurers , not to operate the Javanese Dutch merchants . But at the time of these - acts - and the Anglo-Saxons , and the French, and Portuguese , and Dutch have already experienced the Enlightenment and were proud of their " civilized "

Last edited by GreyKarast; 02-08-2014 at 06:57 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
*sigh*

Grey, the Native peoples knew what a "tax" was. There's a big difference between a tax and a gift. In some areas, so many furs were required in tax to the government, that animals became scarce.

You live in Kamchatka, why don't you ask Native people there whether the Russian expansion into their region was peaceful or not? Ask the people on the Amur the next time your in the Khabarovsk area.

The Russian Orthodox Church did try to convert Native peoples, but they weren't successful. Still, people were required to be baptized, and that is how their names came to be Russified.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's all right, I sometimes like to take my time as well before answering. Plus, it's a good practice for your English.
Learning English was the main reason for registering on this forum. Although my grammar is still bad, especially the articles.
Quote:
Celentano.

But Fantozzi is funny in his own way. ( yeah, I can relate to this stuff - getting ready for job in the morning)))
I knew! Although I don't know other Italian films...

Wait. I forgot about the movies of Tinto Brass.

Quote:
And this is a good thing.. how?
Just you aren't a fan of this genre. When I was a kid, I couldn't sleep after such films as "a Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Poltergeist", but now to find a good horror movie is very difficult, I mean not such movies like "the Wrong turn" or "Texas chainsaw massacre", although I don't think that you ever heard about these movies.

Quote:
I never had "typical Russian lifestyle" to begin with - i.e. not too many family ties/friends/connections. A "black sheep of the family" you know.
You're not a "black sheep", I think this is a normal desire to immigrate in more developed country, just many Russians are very passive for it and they have a lot of silly stereotypes, even before moving to another city within Russia.

Quote:
I didn't like the car dependency that was visible right away comparably to bigger European cities.
Russians have no the car dependency, but they have a bad habit of putting the car near an apartment building, and in the evenings it looks like a big parking lot... I'm happy that not live in the "russian blocks" anymore.

Quote:
Some got nice jobs ( mostly Russian women married to foreigners with means) and only few professionals I saw with skills that were in demand ( like physics, math, chemistry) - those plugged into American society fairly well. ( But that's not about the people on Brighton Beach - they seem to be in a different category all together, and I really don't know much about them and their connections/source of their wealth.)
Even now this is actually, I know that many russian skilled workers still prefer the "western countries", because the wage in Russia even for these workers is very little unlike the US for example (except only Moscow, St. Pete and some nothern cities), the same about life quality in Russia, you know.

Quote:
I personally know only one Russian that returned ( not that there are no others,) I've met him already in Moscow and I could see yet again why he was not interested in living in the US. Intelligent, well-educated ( just not with technical kind of skills that America wants,) with good command of English, yet with quint - essential Russian values. He told me that he had enough of America, although he could have easily stayed. America of course is not for everyone.
Right. But, of course, many people are willing to stay in the US in any way, I know people who arrived to the U.S. with $1k a few years ago and is still there.

Quote:
Oh no, I am aware about Halloween and Valentines' day in Russia ( what else? St. Patrick's day I believe?)
And then someone is trying to say "it's not Americanization, it's globalization." Yeah, right.
How did you guess?

Ôõýь áòÑÂтþóþ ßðтрøúð 2013 - YouTube

Quote:
Russian culture IS different in its core - just to let you know))))
I know... Russian culture is so unique that sometimes I don't want return to Russia...

Quote:
I think that the majority of them came on tourist/whatever visas back in the nineties, when it was still relatively easy, and most of them are still Russian citizens by the way, even if they've already got American passports, because they didn't lose their citizenship automatically, even some of them probably wish they did.
Have you dual citizenship or only American?

Quote:
I don't remember the year exactly when it all changed, ( in terms of visas) but yes, it's very difficult for Russians now to enter the US as far as I know. It's all about the poor state of the economy in the US ( jobs are scarce) plus the reminiscent state of the Cold war, just without automatic political asylums as it used to be back in Soviet days)))
To get the US visa not so difficult now and even possible to get a tourist visa for 5 years, but I prefer the visa-free countries, because I don't want to spend my time for getting visa in 21 century.
Quote:
So have you been to Georgia since then? If yes, how was it?
One of my friends is a Georgian, I've been there a few days last year (mostly in Tbilisi and Batumi) and I have a lot of good experiences. There are very clean in Georgian cities, amazing architecture, delicious food, miles of empty beaches on the Black sea coast in contrast to the Russian coastline, and the Georgians are still friendly to Russians despite the recent war.

Quote:
Ah, ok, then I understood it correctly - they did built the new center ( because from what I saw on the pictures, the old one was completely destroyed. The odd feeling you know - places where you used to party with friends all of a sudden became the war zone and gone to ruin. I mean you look at those ruins, and you recognize precisely the spot where my friends' son ( 4 at that time) lost his toy or where we were stopping by to get a cup of coffee walking back home from the beach.)
Maybe now they restored it. Russians like to visit Abkhazia because everything there is very cheap, BUT Abkhazia is a place without laws, there were many cases of attacks on tourists and traffic police can stop your car without any reason...

Quote:
Why not? They have good songs - one of their hit was playing on the local radio by the way. It's all good ( as long as I don't have to see them)))
Just I thought that mostly teenagers listen TATU.

Quote:
I think I came across their songs mixed with Rammstein recently - the result is pretty interesting to say the least.
You just have to know what to look for in Russian music.
After all, I like something like this as well;
Weird, how I didn't know about these mixes, it sounds very unusual, although I never liked Rammstein.
Quote:
( I know, this song is originally from another movie, but I thought it was a good match - - I liked the video. )
I never watched this movie, and I thought that this song is originally from this movie, before I've readed your post of course.

Last edited by bartonfly; 02-08-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,239,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Maybe now they restored it. Russians like to visit Abkhazia because everything there is very cheap, BUT Abkhazia is a place without laws, there were many cases of attacks on tourists and traffic police can stop your car without any reason...
My wife and I were in Abkhazia last summer. It seemed to us that there is quite safe. And now there is no longer as cheap as it was before.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post

Just you aren't a fan of this genre. When I was a kid, I couldn't sleep after such films as "a Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Poltergeist", but now to find a good horror movie is very difficult, I mean not such movies like "the Wrong turn" or "Texas chainsaw massacre", although I don't think that you ever heard about these movies.
I am not planning to watch them any time soon - I can tell you that much)))
Here is Max Galkin talking about American horror movies and I totally agree with his assessment

ÜðúÑÂøü Óðûúøý - ÃÂüõрøúðýÑÂúøõ фøÃȄŒÃ¼Ñ‹ уöðÑÂþò (2011) - YouTube

Quote:
You're not a "black sheep", I think this is a normal desire to immigrate in more developed country, just many Russians are very passive for it and they have a lot of silly stereotypes, even before moving to another city within Russia.
That's not exactly what I referring to, when I've said "black sheep." "Desire to immigrate " - that came on top of the whole family feud that was going far back in history))))

Quote:
Russians have no the car dependency, but they have a bad habit of putting the car near an apartment building, and in the evenings it looks like a big parking lot... I'm happy that not live in the "russian blocks" anymore.
Moscow was horrible in that respect when I was there last time. Cars have ruined the city if you ask me.

Quote:
Even now this is actually, I know that many russian skilled workers still prefer the "western countries", because the wage in Russia even for these workers is very little unlike the US for example (except only Moscow, St. Pete and some nothern cities), the same about life quality in Russia, you know.
There is more to this decision involved than just "wages," obviously.

Quote:
Right. But, of course, many people are willing to stay in the US in any way, I know people who arrived to the U.S. with $1k a few years ago and is still there.
People want certain amount of predictability in their lives, it's understandable; law protection and all.

That's plain retarded. I understand why it's happening, but still...

Quote:
I know... Russian culture is so unique that sometimes I don't want return to Russia...
That's not "Russian culture." That's Russian politics for the most part; it's the real reason behind it all.
You know, back in the day it has been said that there are two types of Russians who are leaving the country; one type are people who are leaving in search of something ( new and different) and the second type are people who are running away from certain things in Russia. As a rule the first type becomes disappointed at the end and often returns. The second type is usually content with their decisions and these people rarely come back.

Quote:
Have you dual citizenship or only American?
When I was leaving, were were not allowed to keep the citizenship. It was more or less a one-way ticket into nowhere, heh. So I don't have dual citizenship.

Quote:
To get the US visa not so difficult now and even possible to get a tourist visa for 5 years, but I prefer the visa-free countries, because I don't want to spend my time for getting visa in 21 century.
And what are visa-free countries in this case?

Quote:
One of my friends is a Georgian, I've been there a few days last year (mostly in Tbilisi and Batumi) and I have a lot of good experiences. There are very clean in Georgian cities, amazing architecture, delicious food, miles of empty beaches on the Black sea coast in contrast to the Russian coastline, and the Georgians are still friendly to Russians despite the recent war.
Glad to hear that they are still friendly to Russians, but what's their life overall comparably to Russia? Salaries/prices and all?

Quote:
I am quite skeptical when it comes to Abkhasians to be honest. Particularly after all their massacres of Georgians.

Quote:
Just I thought that mostly teenagers listen TATU.

Quote:
Weird, how I didn't know about these mixes, it sounds very unusual, although I never liked Rammstein.
I never watched this movie, and I thought that this song is originally from this movie, before I've readed your post of course.
No, just a good match. ( I really should have watched that "Admiral" movie though... )

Old 02-16-2014, 04:13 PM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not planning to watch them any time soon - I can tell you that much)))
Here is Max Galkin talking about American horror movies and I totally agree with his assessment
He described the trash movies, although I've watched it very much too.

Quote:
That's not exactly what I referring to, when I've said "black sheep." "Desire to immigrate " - that came on top of the whole family feud that was going far back in history))))
Ok, I just thought that this feud was because of your immigration.

I really dislike the fact that Russians often don't appreciate their relatives in contrast to other nations, even the difference in social status affects to family relations in Russia very much.

Quote:
Moscow was horrible in that respect when I was there last time. Cars have ruined the city if you ask me.
Yea... Moscow is a city of endless traffic jams, the people spending hours there during rush hours.

Quote:
There is more to this decision involved than just "wages," obviously.
But it has still great importance, perhaps you don't know about wage in Russian regions, I don't wanna to post it because it's shame, but I can't even to image how the people live for so little money...

Quote:
People want certain amount of predictability in their lives, it's understandable; law protection and all.
It's applicable for the legal immigrants, but I know about a guy who lives illegal in Los Angeles more 5 years!

Quote:
That's plain retarded. I understand why it's happening, but still...
It's really shows how strong influence of the "West" in Russia...

Quote:
That's not "Russian culture." That's Russian politics for the most part; it's the real reason behind it all.
You know, back in the day it has been said that there are two types of Russians who are leaving the country; one type are people who are leaving in search of something ( new and different) and the second type are people who are running away from certain things in Russia. As a rule the first type becomes disappointed at the end and often returns. The second type is usually content with their decisions and these people rarely come back.
There is a lot of "certain things" in Russia that irritating pretty much, if I had no reasons to stay in Russia, I would have left it without any doubts.

Quote:
And what are visa-free countries in this case?
Here is a list of these countries https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92...81%D0%B8%D0%B8

Quote:
Glad to hear that they are still friendly to Russians
Because all the smart people there understand that this war was a result of stupid policy.

Quote:
but what's their life overall comparably to Russia? Salaries/prices and all?
Not bad, if to compare with Russia without Moscow and St. Pete, the prices and salaries are lower there, so I've met many Ukrainian tourists there, they said me that Sochi is very expensive place for tourists and I completely agree. Many Georgians still living in poor conditions and some old houses look like slums.

Quote:
I am quite skeptical when it comes to Abkhasians to be honest. Particularly after all their massacres of Georgians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
My wife and I were in Abkhazia last summer. It seemed to us that there is quite safe. And now there is no longer as cheap as it was before.
I live near the Abkhazian border and I've heard about many cases of assaults and robberies there, in reality, many Abkhazians have no any respect to Russians.

Last edited by bartonfly; 02-16-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe