Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:13 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not really true. There are Russian women who don't wear makeup. In Moscow and St. Petersburg, maybe nearly all wear makeup. I know Russian women in the Far East who don't wear makeup.
This exception to the rule. I talked about the bulk of the people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:35 AM

http://viamaxx.ru/pro_voiny/724-svolochi.html
Àäìèðàëú

Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
Russian women like to dress up and use make-up, that's true.
In Belarus and Ukraine it's the same. It's part of our Slavic culture, and I quite like it -- so nice to see many feminine and attractive girls around.
However, I wouldn't say that ALL women are like that. Here in Belarus I know a few girls who rarely use make-up. One of them, a 23-year-old, recently told me that "You know, I'm too lazy for doing it".

Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I have many questions about Russia so i made a thread.

My questions:

Most popular sports? -
Popular television channels today? -
Popular television shows today? -
Popular movies today? -
Popular music today? -
Where is "Russia's Playground"? (huge tourist region) -
Describe the living space of a typical Middle Class Russian -
Popular sport is football, hockey, valeybol, basketball, taekwondo, karate, sambo, aikido. Popular music, this is a difficult question. it is a lot of youth, this rock, rap and techno. older chanson and folk songs, but you must understand that this is not always the case. There is no such concept in the Russian middle class.huge tourist region except Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, the cities of the Golden Ring of Russia.Marmel,agree, I believe that Ukrainians and Belorussians and one Russian people, particularly Belarusians, we were always together.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Not true. Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands has never belonged to the Japanese. Sakhalin was officially opened Nevel'skoi (in 1740, but he had other Russian discoverers).The first time in 1646 - Expedition V.D.Poyarkova opens Sakhalin. On Sakhalin, live human beings like Russian cities and suddenly mostly Russian. Russian Far East is not Siberia.I can tell in detail when the territory became Japanese and vice versa. the point is that Russia annexed the territory, japan not. Although there was an agreement in 1855. But after the war, the Japanese had violated their contract.
Russia's colonialism of North Asia is no different to other nations. It annoys me when Russia is not condemned for it the same way the US/Australia is, as if it's always been inhabited by European Russians.

Sakhalin has more links with the Japanese than Russia. Ainu blood is present in the Japanese, as well as probably Nivikhs etc in some amounts. It's much closer to Japan too. Oh and don't try and deny that Russians did not take over Vladivostok.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Russia's colonialism of North Asia is no different to other nations. It annoys me when Russia is not condemned for it the same way the US/Australia is, as if it's always been inhabited by European Russians.
Well I'm sorry if your personal frustration is not taking in consideration when decisions on a global scale are taking place. Apparently there were enough of people with credentials that studied the case and decided to not to side with your frustration.

Quote:
Sakhalin has more links with the Japanese than Russia. Ainu blood is present in the Japanese, as well as probably Nivikhs etc in some amounts. It's much closer to Japan too. Oh and don't try and deny that Russians did not take over Vladivostok.
Not that I know much about the Japanese, but somehow I suspect that they've had their own colonial ambitions, so at the end it was only a question who'd claim those territories ( Sakhalin) in more persistent manner.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:

You blended history. Russia has never had such a Western colonization. As for the Japanese call at least one Japanese researcher at that time? Russian never evicted locals. Even today, the local tribes live in the same area as that of 200 years ago. Russian were the first who opened Sakhalin and the Kurils, Russian first annexed the land for his country . Was in the 1875 agreement on the division of land between Russia and Japan. Japan renounced all claims to Sakhalin. Russia has refused to four Kuril Islands. But later it Japan violated the treaty and after the 2nd World renounced claims to Sakhalin and the Kuriles. So please learn history. Then write stupid statement. PS. Ants evicted from Japan Hokkaido.*

Japan renounced Kuril in 1951 and it is too late to give up their decisions, she lost in the war and must endure hardships associated with it. After all, if all the people will demand their land, it will not be such countries as USA, UK, Russia, etc. And secondly, Russia and Japan still in a state of war.

Or do you think that the US should return to Alaska, some part of California Hawaiian Islands and part of Washington? If you know it was Russian territory. And Louisiana and other lands of the French. Then do not need to do stupid fictional speculation.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 01-27-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Sakhalin has more links with the Japanese than the Russians. What it does have very strong links with historically is the Manchu-speaking populations on the Amur and the Nivkhi. (There are a couple of Manchu tribes on Sakhalin.) The Amur tribes had long-distance sailing vessels that they used to trade with people on Sakhalin and with the Ainu. There's some debate among anthropologists and archaeologists as to whether the Ainu actually populated the Amur first, before passing onto Sakhalin and then migrating south to Hokkaido, or whether they took a more southern route to Japan from China, and then later moved north in small numbers, following fish migrations, and also being taken to the Amur on those trading vessels.

The story of the colonial experience in north Asia, especially the armed conflicts with the Native peoples, has never been told in Russian history books, and has been suppressed, even after the fall of the Soviet regime. The Native people haven't forgotten, however. There is one book on the topic, published in the West. If you're interested, I can see if I can find it.

btw, China exerts a similarly tight control over how its history is told. Notice that all the regimes that represent foreign domination of China always get rendered as Chinese dynasties: the Yuan (when China was part of the Mongol empire), the Jin (when the Jurchens took over), the Qing dynasty (when the Manchus ran China, and the Manchus were the same Jurchens again, with a new name), and others. If you look at China's history through this ethnic lens, it becomes clear that China was dominated by foreigners a majority of the time. Even Tibet conquered the Chinese capital for a brief period.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well I'm sorry if your personal frustration is not taking in consideration when decisions on a global scale are taking place. Apparently there were enough of people with credentials that studied the case and decided to not to side with your frustration.

Not that I know much about the Japanese, but somehow I suspect that they've had their own colonial ambitions, so at the end it was only a question who'd claim those territories ( Sakhalin) in more persistent manner.
No it's more just ignorance about the Russian situation. For some reason, Russian colonialism managed to slip under the radar because the British, French, Spanish etc were carving up the world.

I agree that both Russia and Japan were colonising power. Neither has much more of a claim, but the Japanese have more of an ethno-cultural link to the natives of that area that people from the Ukraine, half a world away.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You blended history. Russia has never had such a Western colonization. As for the Japanese call at least one Japanese researcher at that time? Russian never evicted locals. Even today, the local tribes live in the same area as that of 200 years ago. Russian were the first who opened Sakhalin and the Kurils, Russian first annexed the land for his country . Was in the 1875 agreement on the division of land between Russia and Japan. Japan renounced all claims to Sakhalin. Russia has refused to four Kuril Islands. But later it Japan violated the treaty and after the 2nd World renounced claims to Sakhalin and the Kuriles. So please learn history. Then write stupid statement. PS. Ants evicted from Japan Hokkaido.*

Japan renounced Kuril in 1951 and it is too late to give up their decisions, she lost in the war and must endure hardships associated with it. After all, if all the people will demand their land, it will not be such countries as USA, UK, Russia, etc. And secondly, Russia and Japan still in a state of war.

Or do you think that the US should return to Alaska, some part of California Hawaiian Islands and part of Washington? If you know it was Russian territory. And Louisiana and other lands of the French. Then do not need to do stupid fictional speculation.
I don't know the history of Sakhalin, but I do know 400,000 Japanese used to live there and no longer do. Why would Japan renounce all claims to Sakhalin? I haven't heard such a thing.

Alaska was taken over by Russia and was sold to America. You never heard of 'Seaward's folly'? I guess the Russians are regretting that now. You probably think Russia has always be good and glorious to the natives, and that it all belongs to European Russians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe