Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times

Advertisements

And as far as music goes, I somehow think that Russian music is in general as popular as Western. Both pop and rock. However, trendy urban youth in megapolises may really prefer Western music...
here in Belarus, Russian music has always been popular, and I guess it hasn't changed much for the last 10 or 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 AM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But there is russian version of the channel in your link, I surprised that you know russian so good.^^
What do you watch there?

Although channel one is too pro-government even for me, despite I have no any interest in politics.

Quote:
P.S. What "western music" exactly is popular at this point in time?
I hear it everywhere, but Marmel is right, the western music is more popular in the big cities.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
But there is russian version of the channel in your link, I surprised that you know russian so good.^^
Why wouldn't it be "so good" if I am a native speaker???
( Moskvich had his doubts as well earlier, so you are not the only one. They don't question it on my Russian forum though... )

Quote:
What do you watch there?
Some "Health" program, with that strange flamboyantly dressed woman in spectacles ( whatever her name is.) Keeping up with *major news* on this program helps me to keep my mother distracted from lecturing me about hazards of life in the US when I'm talking to her on the phone))))
That, couple of other "consumer - oriented" programs and news.

Quote:
Although channel one is too pro-government even for me, despite I have no any interest in politics.
Yes, but that's why this channel gives pretty good idea about what's going on in Russian ( official) politics.

Quote:
I hear it everywhere, but Marmel is right, the western music is more popular in the big cities.
It always has been a case, back in Soviet times as well.

Me personally - I'm going to Youtube from time to time to listen to Russian music I like, something like this;

Филипп Киркоров - Струны - YouTube

or this

ВИА Гра - Жива [ПÐ*ЕМЬЕÐ*А 2013!] - YouTube

( although it's not as good as the older version of Via Gra )

and even gems like this; ( quite unique and different from anything else... )

Валерий Меладзе - Иностранец - YouTube

So you can tell I'm from the older crowd, and even if I venture to listen to some American music, it should be something like this, that reminds me of the 80ies, when I was "young and swinging. "

The Bravery - Slow Poison - YouTube

( Don't care much for the rest of modern crap, so I have mostly German and French radio
stations on my internet radio. )

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 PM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Why wouldn't it be "so good" if I am a native speaker???
( Moskvich had his doubts as well earlier, so you are not the only one. They don't question it on my Russian forum though... )
Interesting, I spent most of my time in the weather forums and did not know that you're russian. But I still prefer russian forums, because there is no persons like "risotto".
How long time you live in the US? You lived in Moscow before?

Quote:
Yes, but that's why this channel gives pretty good idea about what's going on in Russian ( official) politics.
In reality the Russian politics is very predictable, I don't watch news about it and know that nothing changed there.

Quote:
Me personally - I'm going to Youtube from time to time to listen to Russian music I like, something like this;
IMO, the first version of Via Gra is the best, I studied in school at the time and remember so popular songs like "Biology", "Don't leave me, beloved, "Popytka No. 5", "Three rivers and an ocean".

Quote:
So you can tell I'm from the older crowd, and even if I venture to listen to some American music, it should be something like this, that reminds me of the 80ies, when I was "young and swinging. "
Despite I was born only in 1989, the 80ies has a lot of amazing songs for me, but not so amazing as the 90ies that reminds me childhood:

Alsou - Spring - YouTube

Как упоительны в Ð*оссии вечера (belyi orel) - YouTube

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I spent most of my time in the weather forums and did not know that you're russian.
What "weather forums"? I don't do "weather forums" ( I hate weather - it's unpredictable and cold most of the time, wherever I happen to be. )

Quote:
But I still prefer russian forums, because there is no persons like "risotto".
May be not like Risotto, but there can be other types there that are not less irritating (for me at least. So at the end I have to practice my patience no matter what language I type in)))) )

Quote:
How long time you live in the US? You lived in Moscow before?
1. 20+
2. Yes sir, I am ( former) fourth generation of Muscovites, which is a rare occurrence when you think about it.

Quote:
In reality the Russian politics is very predictable, I don't watch news about it and know that nothing changed there.
Oh, but it's still interesting to watch, because it gives you ( me that is) the idea of general mood over there.

Quote:
IMO, the first version of Via Gra is the best, I studied in school at the time and remember so popular songs like "Biology", "Don't leave me, beloved, "Popytka No. 5", "Three rivers and an ocean".
I think I've posted quite a few of their videos on this forum, but of more later period. (The ones you've mentioned are not among my favorites I think...)

Quote:
Despite I was born only in 1989, the 80ies has a lot of amazing songs for me, but not so amazing as the 90ies that reminds me childhood:
I think that the nineties were the most unfamiliar to me in this respect, since my ties with Russia were practically completely cut off at that period for certain reasons.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:

P.S. I was watching that Via Gra competition again another day, and Vinnitzkaya was there (you know, from the first version... Nope, I am definitely not a big fan neither of her, nor of her tattoos..
I did like her protegees though here. Great job, good voices, good song - hope they'll get on stage for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLeW4cKC98

And I totally don't know what to think about the new trio; I mean good singers ( seem to be,) but are they really Via Gra?

Хочу в Виа Гру Финал Анастасия Кожевникова, Миша Ð*оманова, Ð*рика Герцег Опять метель финал) - YouTube

Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
COOL! Someone was brave enough (and knowledgeable enough) to try!

Buddhist regions: Tuva, Buryatia, Kalmykia
Rivers: tricky. If we count only rivers that are exclusively within Russia, not having their origins outside of Russia, it looks like the Lena is it. The Volga is next.
Time zones: 8 from the western border to Chukotka.
Religions: hmm.... I'll have to give you credit for Shamanism. But the 3 officially recognized organized religions (i.e. institutionalized religions) are: Eastern Orthodox, Islam and Buddhism.
RE: Pushkin, see Barney's comment. In some circles in the US, he's regarded as a Black poet.

Comparative length of rivers:
List of rivers by length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rivers - Volga is the longest, I think.

9 timezones: Kaliningrad, Moscow, Yekaterinberg, Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Vladivostok, Magadan

Also, Dostoyevsky is a pretty popular poet/novelist

Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The Lena is longer. Ruth wrote "tricky" because the Yenisei, Ob and Amur are all longer than either the Lena or the Volga, but their source is outside Russia.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Dostoyevsky was never a poet as far as I know.
Both him and Leo Tolstoy were writing big fat books mostly of philosophic nature, and both are considered to be the wales, the staples of Russian culture.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( Now A. Pushkin was both poet and novelist, and so was the other star of Russian literature - M. Lermontov. )

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:

9 timezones: Kaliningrad, Moscow, Yekaterinberg, Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Vladivostok, Magadan

Kaliningrad actually is included in the same time zone as St. Petersburg. I checked before I posted the quiz. In fact, that's exactly why I posted that question--I assumed people wouldn't think of Kaliningrad, so it would be a "trick" question. I expected Kaliningrad would be in a different time zone, but according to the map I saw (unless it was wrong?), it isn't. Please feel free to post a link to a source that says otherwise, if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe