Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The Lena is longer. Ruth wrote "tricky" because the Yenisei, Ob and Amur are all longer than either the Lena or the Volga, but their source is outside Russia.
Exactly. Also, there's conflicting info on the internet; some sources do say the Volga is the longest, but that "Rivers" link I found gives the comparison in detail, and clarifies everything. It's a good reference resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "weather forums"? I don't do "weather forums"
The weather forum on CD.

Quote:
I hate weather - it's unpredictable and cold most of the time, wherever I happen to be.
Probably you forgot how cold is winter in Russia, if you don't live in Alaska of course. Although there are some exceptions in Russia, my city for example.

Quote:
May be not like Risotto, but there can be other types there that are not less irritating (for me at least. So at the end I have to practice my patience no matter what language I type in)))) )
I agree in overall, just I VERY dislike russophobes and will never visit russophobic countries.

Quote:
1. 20+
It was good time to leave Russia, the 90s were one of the worst periods for the Russian economy and society.

Quote:
2. Yes sir, I am ( former) fourth generation of Muscovites, which is a rare occurrence when you think about it.
Now there is a new generation of Muscovites, who was born in the Central Asia.

Quote:
The ones you've mentioned are not among my favorites I think...
Strange, here these songs were more popular than modern.

Quote:
I think that the nineties were the most unfamiliar to me in this respect, since my ties with Russia were practically completely cut off at that period for certain reasons.
I'm not a big fan of the 90s, just nostalgy...

Now I prefer new and mostly western music...

Quote:
P.S. I was watching that Via Gra competition again another day, and Vinnitzkaya was there (you know, from the first version... Nope, I am definitely not a big fan neither of her, nor of her tattoos..
I did like her protegees though here. Great job, good voices, good song - hope they'll get on stage for real.
At least Vinnitzkaya looked better in Via Gra than solo.

Quote:
I did like her protegees though here. Great job, good voices, good song - hope they'll get on stage for real. And I totally don't know what to think about the new trio; I mean good singers ( seem to be,) but are they really Via Gra?
Weird, I never seen this show before and it looks pretty good. But I will always remember old versions of Via Gra, unlike the new versions, that will be forgotten quickly. Maybe Via Gra must be stay in the past?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
The weather forum on CD.

Probably you forgot how cold is winter in Russia, if you don't live in Alaska of course.
No-no thanks, I remember.

Quote:
"Although there are some exceptions in Russia, my city for example."
Yes, the name of it brings me the vague memories of something warm and resortish kinda...
Wait a minute, you are as close to Sochi as it gets, aren't you???

Quote:
I agree in overall, just I VERY dislike russophobes and will never visit russophobic countries.
Russia is not a country that can be easily understood.

Quote:
It was good time to leave Russia, the 90s were one of the worst periods for the Russian economy and society.
I am aware of that, that's why I keep on pointing at the nineties as the source of today's problems, international problems including. I was back in Moscow once at that time, actually - it was a shock.

Quote:
Now there is a new generation of Muscovites, who was born in the Central Asia.
Not a good sign again and a source of ethnic clashes. I've never heard those languages on the streets of Moscow before.

Quote:
Strange, here these songs were more popular than modern.
I know, but in this case it's a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Weird, I never seen this show before and it looks pretty good. But I will always remember old versions of Via Gra, unlike the new versions, that will be forgotten quickly. Maybe Via Gra must be stay in the past?
No, Via Gra became already a national affair, therefore it should stay. Just watch the show )))

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 AM

17 posts, read 31,658 times
excellent thread!!!!! My interest in Russia is very high since the Sochi Olympics is next month. Does anyone know of any websites, youtube videos, etc etc about life in Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Russia???? thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashtalk View Post
excellent thread!!!!! My interest in Russia is very high since the Sochi Olympics is next month. Does anyone know of any websites, youtube videos, etc etc about life in Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Russia???? thanks
St. Petersburg is beautiful, and there's lots to do there. Traffic is much more functional than in Moscow. If you can only visit one city before or after Sochi, I recommend St. Pete's.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM

17 posts, read 31,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
St. Petersburg is beautiful, and there's lots to do there. Traffic is much more functional than in Moscow. If you can only visit one city before or after Sochi, I recommend St. Pete's.

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching Russia for the upcoming Sochi Olympics and wanting to learn what life is like in St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Russia. Anybody have any good websites or youtube videos online that are worth checking out. I have been watching this guys video's https://www.youtube.com/user/PhilochkoEHC

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM

647 posts, read 797,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, the name of it brings me the vague memories of something warm and resortish kinda...
Wait a minute, you are as close to Sochi as it gets, aren't you???
Adler is a part of Sochi metro. I like to live here, this is a nice place for life, not as nice as Rio, but still much better than rest russian cities. So yesterday the temperature in Moscow was -20C, while in Adler 17C! Here some pics of our January:

Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
^

Beautiful pictures!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Adler is a part of Sochi metro. I like to live here, this is a nice place for life, not as nice as Rio, but still much better than rest russian cities. So yesterday the temperature in Moscow was -20C, while in Adler 17C! Here some pics of our January:

Yep, as I've thought - everything practically screams of winter sports ( and Winter Olympic games.)
Skate carefully - you might be bumping in the palm trees here and there.

P.S. Thank you for the pics - I was never that familiar with that region; here is the question I have - I imagine you've got quite a few new buildings there constructed in the 2000ies.
Do you have anything strange/extravagant in this respect - sort of things like that for example ( disregard the historic (Morozov's) building from 1905 of course,)

or this kind of architecture is purely "Moscow" thing?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM

P.S. P.S. Oh, by the way I've found one song of A. Vinnitskaya that I actually like -

ВИА Гра - Я не вернусь (HD) - YouTube

( And while I am on the YouTube - have you seen this?
K. has good sense of humor, so he turned even something as mediocre as "The Mobile Blonds" into something worth watching/listening)

Ф.Киркоров & М.блондинки - А что я такого сказала - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe