Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
No,i'm not a native speaker but i mean what i said,what a funny idea to learn mandarin,while the english is widely spoken in China.
Worst,China has 52 officially recognized languages,so you need to learn more than mandarin to get buy in china.
Languages of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

well if china doesn't make it as the next superpower,what happened to your mandarin project ?
Maybe you're not young anymore but you must naive,to talk about learning mandarin for no good reasons.
Ever been to China? English is not widely spoken there, and those who do speak it are often so bad at it that one can't have a meaningful conversation with them.

Mandarin is the dominant language in China, spoken by about a billion Chinese. Just like Russian is in Russia, despite dozens of other languages being spoken there by various ethnic groups.

The Chinese are already rather active here, investing in companies etc. Lots of Chinese immigrants opening businesses. China won't go anywhere, they have been around for 5000 years or so, and now they are waking up again after a little pause of a century. Nor can it hurt the brain to learn such a difficult and different language Most of what we learn at school will be forgotten because we never need it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,839,371 times
Quote:
No,i'm not a native speaker but i mean what i said,what a funny idea to learn mandarin,while the english is widely spoken in China.
Worst,China has 52 officially recognized languages,so you need to learn more than mandarin to get buy in china.

well if china doesn't make it as the next superpower,what happened to your mandarin project ?
Maybe you're not young anymore but you must naive,to talk about learning mandarin for no good reasons.
English widely spoken in China? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You wouldn't survive in China with just English, NOT GONNA HAPPEN, I can assure you that from my personal experience, not even in the metropolis cities yet alone in the smaller cities or villages.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times
Invading....not the proper term.

I just went thru Europe from Spain to Turkey, for two months.

You can thank Hollywood movies and ESPECIALLY music for the "invasion" of English.

Why is American music so popular? Because the American accent makes singing easier and English is easier to switch around to make the lyrics flow properly.

While traveling in Normandy, a friend of a friend barely spoke English. While he was driving us, he would curse in English. I asked him why in English. He said it's easy and quick to just say S&&t or F**k.

While English verbs and the format of sentences are vastly different than just about every other language, its the easiest to speak once learned.

Plus, English is taught in school in most of Europe now.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 AM

338 posts, read 335,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ever been to China? English is not widely spoken there, and those who do speak it are often so bad at it that one can't have a meaningful conversation with them.

Mandarin is the dominant language in China, spoken by about a billion Chinese. Just like Russian is in Russia, despite dozens of other languages being spoken there by various ethnic groups.

The Chinese are already rather active here, investing in companies etc. Lots of Chinese immigrants opening businesses. China won't go anywhere, they have been around for 5000 years or so, and now they are waking up again after a little pause of a century. Nor can it hurt the brain to learn such a difficult and different language Most of what we learn at school will be forgotten because we never need it...
China has enough people to be its own part of the world. They speak Mandarin there, the west speaks English, everybody else stays in the Dark ages. That is how I see it.

Quote:

The Mandarin dialect is appealing to many Asian tonal language speakers since it has few vowels, no consonant clusters, no stress/sandhi/vowel reduction, and the grammar is simpler than English. If they destroy the Characters, they have a chance, and if they actually create products worth getting the worlds attention.

Last edited by Mahhammer; 01-25-2014 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The world would be so much better if I could go abroad without having to learn those weird languages.
First, there is not any language that deserves to be called "weird", all of them are cultural legacy that should be respected by the rest of the humanity.

Secondly, with this in mind, English as a global language is very useful to such things as science development or tourism. It would be nice if all humans were able to speak at least some English as a second language. However, as I said before, this doesn't mean that minor languages or another regional "lingua franca" should be ignored.
Simply learning a 'lingua franca' is insufficient and fails to reflect Europe's true identity. Although English is the main european and global language, there is no reason to refuse to learn another languages as well.

For instance, if you look at Spain today, we have nothing to do with the way we were 40 years ago in terms of English proficiency; even though, unfortunately we are still one of the worst western European countries in English language skills. I myself am personally involved in training English everyday here in this forum.
Does it become me someone who hates my own language? I dont' think so.
Does learning English causes abhorrence towards learning another language? I don't think so either.

I would also add that someone living in another country for a long period of time should, at least, integrate with their own culture, so it implies learning the language too, even tough it would therefore be desirable that people in these country would able to speak English too, in order to make things easier for you in the early days of establishment there.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Mahhammer,
The West speaks English?! As a second or third language, yes, other than that the West will never speak English, except for the half dozen or so countries where English is the national language, official or not.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,443,000 times
English language has invaded not just the vocabulary of other Germanic language, also other languages such as Latin languages (French, Portuguese) also has incorporated lately many English words. The world is being dominated by the English language in a way to speak, thus you will English words here and there.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
English language has invaded not just the vocabulary of other Germanic language, also other languages such as Latin languages (French, Portuguese) also has incorporated lately many English words. The world is being dominated by the English language in a way to speak, thus you will English words here and there.
Since I live in Portugal, please list just 10 or 20 of those many English words incorporated into Portuguese Maybe I am living in a parallel universe because I don't hear English words being used here
There is one word I occasionally hear in bank commercials, namely spread.

Last edited by Neuling; 01-25-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Invading....not the proper term.

I just went thru Europe from Spain to Turkey, for two months.

You can thank Hollywood movies and ESPECIALLY music for the "invasion" of English.

Why is American music so popular? Because the American accent makes singing easier and English is easier to switch around to make the lyrics flow properly.

While traveling in Normandy, a friend of a friend barely spoke English. While he was driving us, he would curse in English. I asked him why in English. He said it's easy and quick to just say S&&t or F**k.

While English verbs and the format of sentences are vastly different than just about every other language, its the easiest to speak once learned.

Plus, English is taught in school in most of Europe now.
So you don't think the global use of English has nothing to do with the ENGLISH then! What's next we can thank America for Pizza? Or cars perhaps!!!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 AM

221 posts, read 343,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohander III View Post
The popularity of English, at least in Europe, is due mostly to the US, of course.
Uh? We learn British English in school from an early age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe