Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
Um English is INVADING (although not in a bad way) nearly every language across the globe.
As English is actually quickly replacing a lot of words I don't think this invasion is a good one.

Quote:
everybody and their brother says "SINGLE" now in Italy except for when filling in an official form!
Same here in Germany. "Single" is used by most people nowadays, while the original German "ledig" now sounds old fashioned and is basically only used on official forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Is ledig even the same as single? Single means available, but ledig only means not married if I remember correctly. Alleinstehend is probably closer to single, but I am not sure, despite being single

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM

217 posts, read 277,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As if there were icebergs off the Netherlands
No, we did used to sail a lot though.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
No, we did used to sail a lot though.
So did the Portuguese

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

217 posts, read 277,079 times
Quote:
So did the Portuguese
The Dutch trade, before going global, was mainly with the north, while the Portuguese mainly went south, so that might be the clue.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Is ledig even the same as single? Single means available, but ledig only means not married if I remember correctly. Alleinstehend is probably closer to single, but I am not sure, despite being single
Come on? Single could also mean not married/ In other words single means alone or with nobody. There are plenty of English speakers, when they say 'I am single', it means they're not married. Ledig is actually the correct German word for single in English. I know you're German but you're wrong on that one!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Come on? Single could also mean not married/ In other words single means alone or with nobody. There are plenty of English speakers, when they say 'I am single', it means they're not married. Ledig is actually the correct German word for single in English. I know you're German but you're wrong on that one!
"Single sein" is just a broader term than "ledig".

ledig = Not married. Technically you could have a girlfriend.
Single sein = Not having a partner. Be it a girlfriend, wife, ...

Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
After reading this thread I'm even more glad that we "finnicize" most English words or try to create Finnish equivalents.

Even "single" is sinkku. As in Italian e-mail is sähköposti (electric mail), and people actually use it.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
When people say they are single, they usually mean they are not in a relationship. Oftentimes what they mean but are too lazy/embarrassed to say is single and looking.
That is not exactly what ledig means, though. It only means you are not officially married and never have been, else you would be geschieden. Still, you may be in a relationship.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
It is notable that most of the English words that are being borrowed are not native English words, but words of Latin origin that the English speakers themselves borrowed or adapted with anglified spellings.

Secondarily are English words that have cognates to words in Germanic languages, but it is the English spelled version that is being borrowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe