Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After reading this thread I'm even more glad that we "finnicize" most English words or try to create Finnish equivalents.

Even "single" is sinkku. As in Italian e-mail is sähköposti (electric mail), and people actually use it.
How refreshing! Chinese does that, too. The word for computer in Chinese translates as "electric brain", telephone is "electric speech". There's something to be said for maintaining linguistic integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Computer is tietokone (machine with knowledge) in Finnish, but data is still just data.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
You guys can't keep it up forever.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Was just reading an article on a Nigerian writer, made me remember this thread

At this point in her life, she says, her own English is "completely confused. My sensibility is Nigerian. I went to school in the US. After Lagos I deeply love London. So I grew up spelling the British way. And then I went to the US and was suddenly spelling "colour" without the "u". My father is horrified by that. I was determined for so long not to use certain American expressions, because I came to the US with this Nigerian/British arrogance of believing English is as it is spoken in England. Americans would say certain things and I would think, people can't speak English."

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'Don't we all write about love? When men do it, it's a political comment. When women do it, it's just a love story' | Books | The Guardian

Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
English isnt germanic, so It can't invade "other" germanic countries.

Modernd english is a mix of "old english" , french and latin languages.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 AM

It IS a Germanic language, West Germanic to be precise, a mixed language of course, just like German and other languages, but still, its foundation/core is Germanic...

Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 AM

7 posts, read 26,274 times
The most archaich and interesting is Basque, all cutting tools have the prefix "aitz" (stone).
Traveller is right, since English is a neolanguage derived mostly from Latin (Through French), I don't see how ut can invade other similar languages.
I believe that French is the language with more anglicisms.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
English isnt germanic, so It can't invade "other" germanic countries.

Modernd english is a mix of "old english" , french and latin languages.

Traveler, English vocabulary is about half French and Latin. Vocabulary is only one part of a language. Even if we were to focus only on vocabulary, the similarity of English and German would still far greater than that between English and French. However, having words from another language family does not change the fundamentals of a language. German and especially Dutch also have large percentages of Latin-rooted words, but this does change the core of the language which is clearly non-Latin. In the case of English, the fundamentals of the language are solidly Germanic, and having a large percentage of French and Latin words do not change this.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Traveler, English vocabulary is about half French and Latin. Vocabulary is only one part of a language. Even if we were to focus only on vocabulary, the similarity of English and German would still far greater than that between English and French. However, having words from another language family does not change the fundamentals of a language. German and especially Dutch also have large percentages of Latin-rooted words, but this does change the core of the language which is clearly non-Latin. In the case of English, the fundamentals of the language are solidly Germanic, and having a large percentage of French and Latin words do not change this.
Together or each? I suppose together so that the other half or so is Germanic, else it would certainly not be considered a Germanic language by any linguists.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM

There is some data here English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems the more commonly used words are, the more Germanic they tend to be. Which confirms it is a Germanic language because those core words (see, hear, think, say; I, you, etc.) are the most stubborn as their popularity makes it almost impossible to replace them.

Of the 100 most frequent words in English, a staggering 97% are Germanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe