Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
So you think we are all racists because of a few idiots on the internet?

Isn't that what the internet is for? Jumping to conclusions and painting with broad brushes?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 AM

171 posts, read 407,574 times
Quote:
So you think we are all racists because of a few idiots on the internet?
I was thought about that, so I decided to ask here to get a second opinion to see if it were true. Because I didn't generalize a whole country and offend anyone.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
I was thought about that, so I decided to ask here to get a second opinion to see if it were true. Because I didn't generalize a whole country and offend anyone.
Come over and check for yourself.
We are rather nice people when you get to know us.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Come over and check for yourself.
We are rather nice people when you get to know us.
Will do, hopefully in 2015-16. I have a quick question; Do you think Swedish women would be cool with an American American guy trying to date them?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
They will figure out that you are just trying to get into their pants as quickly as American girls... Some will be cool with that, others will think that that's quite creepy.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Quote:
Hey guys, so I've currently learning Svenska / Norska. I done I bit of digging, trying to find out more about the culture and was really shocked at what I found. It's pretty late here and I'm tired so I can't provide sources (plus there were a crap ton), but a quick Google search should be enough to find .

Anyway, I was hoping to one day visit Sweden for a summer (to explore, date and have a good time) in a year or two when I'm 21 or 22 (currently 19). However, now I don't think it's a such a good idea, considering I don't know how I'd be treated (I'm African American).

Also, how are African Americans perceived in other Scandinavian countries, particularly Norway?

Side question: It's pretty common to see interracial dating here in the US between blacks, whites, and many other races; is it frowned upon those countries?

Thanks for any answers!
I would probably stay away from trolling sites like Topi_x.com, etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Will do, hopefully in 2015-16. I have a quick question; Do you think Swedish women would be cool with an American American guy trying to date them?
At the right place, at the right time, yes.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM

257 posts, read 518,282 times
First of all I have never been to Sweden, but I am pretty sure that the country is safe for you. But on the other hand I read stories about blond Swedish women being raped by Somali/African guys just because they are blond.. I do not know if it is true or not, but if it is it is kind of racist as well do not you think? My point is stop being so paranoid. Honestly nobody cares about you being black/red/yellow whatever but it seems to me that some people just want to find this stuff (racism) everywhere. And do not tell me if I am in the USA, your friends/acquitances will not look at me as "another descendant of white exploiter" without trying to figure out who I am. Howgh.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
They will figure out that you are just trying to get into their pants as quickly as American girls... Some will be cool with that, others will think that that's quite creepy.
Well, this is the thing. These northern countries and their women tend to not appreciate being used for some kind of casual sex tourism. There were a couple of white guys from the US who heard that Icelandic women were especially beautiful, so they decided to go to Iceland to check them out. They weren't there long when word got around like wildfire about their agenda, and they ended up being shut out of the society there. And the President of Iceland at the time was a woman (this was in the 1990's), and she got wind of it, and made a public statement about how this isn't the type of thing they want to encourage, and it isn't right.

You won't run into anything that extreme in Sweden and Norway, but just bear in mind that generally speaking the women don't appreciate the idea that they might have a certain reputation in other countries.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Just a quick edit to this; I meant African American guy. I have to stop posting at 4am lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe