Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 AM

171 posts, read 407,378 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I've currently learning Svenska / Norska. I done I bit of digging, trying to find out more about the culture and was really shocked at what I found. It's pretty late here and I'm tired so I can't provide sources (plus there were a crap ton), but a quick Google search should be enough to find .

Anyway, I was hoping to one day visit Sweden for a summer (to explore, date and have a good time) in a year or two when I'm 21 or 22 (currently 19). However, now I don't think it's a such a good idea, considering I don't know how I'd be treated (I'm African American).

Also, how are African Americans perceived in other Scandinavian countries, particularly Norway?

Side question: It's pretty common to see interracial dating here in the US between blacks, whites, and many other races; is it frowned upon those countries?

Thanks for any answers!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
Hey guys, so I've currently learning Svenska / Norska. I done I bit of digging, trying to find out more about the culture and was really shocked at what I found. It's pretty late here and I'm tired so I can't provide sources (plus there were a crap ton), but a quick Google search should be enough to find .

Anyway, I was hoping to one day visit Sweden for a summer (to explore, date and have a good time) in a year or two when I'm 21 or 22 (currently 19). However, now I don't think it's a such a good idea, considering I don't know how I'd be treated (I'm African American).

Also, how are African Americans perceived in other Scandinavian countries, particularly Norway?

Side question: It's pretty common to see interracial dating here in the US between blacks, whites, and many other races; is it frowned upon those countries?

Thanks for any answers!
Everything I've heard about Sweden implies it's very racially tolerant, especially regarding African Americans. The only tensions have been with some strict Muslim groups, and that's not even about race. What did you hear?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
As an American you'll do fine. But blowing in just for a summer and expecting to date around could be a bit of a challenge. There's LOTS of info on the internet re: dating in those two countries. Check it out. Google is your friend. And btw, even the youth hostels are expensive. Everything's expensive.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:37 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
I am wondering what sites you have found.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Hey, OP. There used to be a program that placed Americans in farms on Norway to work as farm help for a month or two (your choice) in the summers. Working on a farm for a month would be a GREAT way to start out! Ask the Norwegian professor at your university if the program still exists.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 AM

171 posts, read 407,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Everything I've heard about Sweden implies it's very racially tolerant, especially regarding African Americans. The only tensions have been with some strict Muslim groups, and that's not even about race. What did you hear?
Stuff like black people being denied entry into clubs, derogatory comments, and a few other things.

UOTE=Ruth4Truth;33552528]As an American you'll do fine. But blowing in just for a summer and expecting to date around could be a bit of a challenge. There's LOTS of info on the internet re: dating in those two countries. Check it out. Google is your friend. And btw, even the youth hostels are expensive. Everything's expensive.[/quote]

Thanks for the reps and I'll do some more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I am wondering what sites you have found.
IAmA black guy living in Sweden. It's not as nice and easy as reddit makes it sound like. AMA. : IAmA

I read through this Reddit thread. However, OP might be troll, but it seems from the comments some of his claims hold some truth.

Also, there are a few racist comments from this video:

A CLASSIC SWEDISH DATE - YouTube

I read a few other things too.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 AM

354 posts, read 681,961 times
Don't worry you will be fine. It is true that there aren't many African-Americans in Scandinavia in general but I haven't heard anything about racism against them. Many are professionals and they are treated like any other foreigners who live and work in the city. And interracial dating is rather common here I would say. It's not something to be frowned upon, especially in large cities.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Stuff like black people being denied entry into clubs, derogatory comments, and a few other things.
A Finnish friend of mine has been denied entry to a club in Stockholm and he is probably whiter than the snow in Swedish Lapland... Their bouncers are just very strict...

Anyway, I think you're making a bigger deal out of your skin colour than most Swedish will do during your stay... Be unprejudiced and you are probably gonna have the time of your life.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Can't be any worse than what you might get in North America. And you can brush those ignorant fools aside anyway.

I say go and have fun!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:

UOTE=Ruth4Truth;33552528]As an American you'll do fine. But blowing in just for a summer and expecting to date around could be a bit of a challenge. There's LOTS of info on the internet re: dating in those two countries. Check it out. Google is your friend. And btw, even the youth hostels are expensive. Everything's expensive.
Thanks for the reps and I'll do some more research.

IAmA black guy living in Sweden. It's not as nice and easy as reddit makes it sound like. AMA. : IAmA

I read through this Reddit thread. However, OP might be troll, but it seems from the comments some of his claims hold some truth.

Also, there are a few racist comments from this video:

A CLASSIC SWEDISH DATE - YouTube

I read a few other things too.[/quote]
So you think we are all racists because of a few idiots on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe