Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Yes. That's what I was wondering about. It seems it's becoming apparent now though. They don't have good numbers. I don't think many do.

No one has "good numbers," really.
You simply can't have "good numbers," unless you test each and every person out there.
Which is unrealistic for any big country.

I am looking at the map of cases in Russia, and to me it looks very much like what I saw initially in the US, in the very beginning of the outbreak - a case here in one state, and a case there, in the other.

(And of course here are the cases by the region - here and there, with Moscow being the major epicenter ( which is expected.)

Total number officially for the 24th shows 502 cases. (More than half of them - in Moscow.)
Today they mentioned in "60 minutes" that one more case became known in Primorskiy Krai.
They've said "ironically so," because in spite of the proximity to China, there were no cases there initially.

But a woman returning there from one of the cruise ships ( from Mexico shores) brought the virus.
So as I've said - I see a strange picture, that in spite of the proximity to China, the virus coming from China didn't affect Russia for whatever reason. ( And THIS might have thrown a lot of Europeans AND Trump off guard.)
But now the infection seems to be spreading in Russia, coming from Europe.

How fast it will spread, how much it will affect Russia remains to be seen, but I suspect that not that much. (Except for may be couple of regions.)

We already know that this strange virus affects different people in different manner.
For some - it's not more than a regular cold, or they are completely asymptomatic. But for some - it's deadly, and not because of age only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's like a cartoon. (Maksim's image) For one thing, dealing with the virus is not a military operation, it's a medical one, right? So in reality, it would be medical professionals gathered around a map of Russia. So that's mainly what tips you off to the fact that it's a joke, a cartoon. It's also about the cliche nature of the image. As Scrat said, it looks like something from WWII imagery.

And one could also say, that for fighting a virus, it's overdone, exaggerated. Or maybe not. That, too, gives it a sort of pointed message. He posted that in response to my question about what Russia is doing about the virus issue, so that, too, makes it funny.

Unfortunately, no. If the chemical and biological defense forces are involved, it is a military rescue operation. In the picture, Russian General is planning to work with his Italian colleague. If I'm not mistaken, a military hospital will be deployed in Bergamo. Of course, this is a matter of terminology. The Russian military are doctors with lung ventilation equipment and medicines.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Are university classes and schools still open?
No, schools and universities are closed.

Quote:
The staff in universities and schools can't work remotely, because their whole purpose is to serve the students and keep the institution running.
They try to conduct training remotely, but I think it is not very effective.

Quote:
So what happens to them?
I dont know. Most likely, final exams will be postponed a couple of months later.

Quote:
What happens to all the restaurant workers and (non-grocery) shop staff?
Restaurants and shops operate as usual, there is no shortage of products (with exception of buckwheat, of course. Why? I don’t know what the hell). Masks are almost never used, cities live a normal life.

Quote:
Are museums still open?

Museums are closed.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I see a strange picture, that in spite of the proximity to China, the virus coming from China didn't affect Russia for whatever reason.

The border of China was quickly blocked. The virus came to Russia through international air travel.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
But they were predicting it in Moscow, so they've built a big hospital designated to deal with specifically CV contamination from what I remember.

If I am not mistaken, the hospital was built for other purposes. But it was converted for infection protection because of the virus. I posted an interview with head doctor earlier, this is an interesting interview.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
We already know that this strange virus affects different people in different manner.
For some - it's not more than a regular cold, or they are completely asymptomatic. But for some - it's deadly, and not because of age only.

Any flu or SARS act similarly. It’s just that the coronavirus is new and population does not have immunity to this, therefore a large number of people are sick at the same time.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

https://i.ibb.co/51jwjb9/photo-2020-03-24-22-30-47.jpg

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Видеообращение закончилось, коронавирус сохранил должность.

[Орда] - родная, злобная, твоя

Video message ended, the coronavirus retained its post.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:28 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Unfortunately, no. If the chemical and biological defense forces are involved, it is a military rescue operation. In the picture, Russian General is planning to work with his Italian colleague. If I'm not mistaken, a military hospital will be deployed in Bergamo. Of course, this is a matter of terminology. The Russian military are doctors with lung ventilation equipment and medicines.
That was an actual photo of a current real-life response team?

Wow. OK. ...not funny. Erasure was right. So, Russia is helping Italy? I had no idea.

But if Russia is helping Italy, why hasn't Russia recognized the danger from this virus? Shops and restaurants are closed in the US, not because of a shortage of goods, but to minimize the circulation of the virus and the risk to the public. No one's hospital system anywhere in the world is equipped to handle the number of emergency cases that could flood the hospitals, if extreme measures aren't taken to avoid the contagion. Well, I guess we'll see what happens with this experiment Russia is conducting, by only taking moderate measures. We can only hope for the best.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
That was an actual photo of a current real-life response team?

Wow. OK. ...not funny. Erasure was right. So, Russia is helping Italy? I had no idea.

But if Russia is helping Italy, why hasn't Russia recognized the danger from this virus? Shops and restaurants are closed in the US, not because of a shortage of goods, but to minimize the circulation of the virus and the risk to the public. No one's hospital system anywhere in the world is equipped to handle the number of emergency cases that could flood the hospitals, if extreme measures aren't taken to avoid the contagion. Well, I guess we'll see what happens with this experiment Russia is conducting, by only taking moderate measures. We can only hope for the best.
Ruth, look at the response Maxim gave me;

Quote:
Any flu or SARS act similarly. It’s just that the coronavirus is new and population does not have immunity to this, therefore a large number of people are sick at the same time.
That's how CV is perceived in Russia ( Ukraine, Belorussia,) as I've already mentioned before.

That it's basically yet "another flue," that the population will get used to, get the immunity, and be done with it.

But from everything I've read/observed so far, it's not just "another flue."

This thing is far more sophisticated than just you "normal flue." Judging by the way it has certain "code" ( or the key if you wish) to specifically go after lungs.

Another telltale ( for me at least) is the different death ratio, depending on the *nation.*
And the last but not least of course - this lingering question; why this virus didn't affect Russia on its way from China, yet it showed up there after it devastated Italy?

Another important thing of course will be to observe the mortality rate.
I seriously suspect that's the reason *Russians* perceive it as yet "another flue," is because that's what it WILL FEEL LIKE to THEM, in that part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe