Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 02:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
This dispute is somewhat objectless... I can agree that electronics and cars are somewhat more expensive in Russia. But again, expensive things are usually bought on credit and therefore their cost does not play a big role if you are able to paid of credit to buy them.. I'm almost sure that you also took a car on credit and not for cash..

As for the rest let's just compare prices in Wallmart and LeroyMerlin (it's practically analog of Wallmart)

Some positions:

(Current rate 68rub per $.)

And so you can continue indefinitely..

In General, in addition to electronics, all types of household items in the US are noticeably more expensive. And if you take the rates for rental housing, electricity, gas, water, Internet and service prices.. There is a huge difference here..
Thanks for the comparison. That's about what I expected, to account for cheaper overhead the prices on basic items such as those will always be cheaper in poorer countries. We have Mexico next door to compare to as well and their prices are similar to what you show. Its also a bit of a result of currency depreciation over the recent period. But 40 to 50% cheaper doesn't account for our salaries being 10 times those of the average Russian. I understand I do a bit better than average as I make more in a day than Russian average monthly wages. I paid one car in cash, the other on credit of 1.9%. which brings up another point because our credit is cheaper here too and that absolutely affects the standard of living. My house mortgage is 3%, although that is subsidized by our government in its own weird way.

Your utilities are cheaper but they are not as reliable, depending on where (i.e. water) and subsidized by the state and government controlled oil production. Somehow your fuel for the cars costs the same.

Restaurant prices are also the same and so is travelling abroad (of course). Housing isn't that much cheaper in Russia for what you are getting. New construction per sq/meter isn't all that different than here but it really depends on the location anyway. Obviously it isn't going to approach LA or NY prices but in Moscow housing costs more than most of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 02:58 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I understand I do a bit better than average as I make more in a day than Russian average monthly wages.
Be careful. Perhaps soon your income will be no one to protect.

https://www.lawofficer.com/america-we-are-leaving/

Old 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
By the way, it's funny. The article is blocked for Russian IP. What did not stop RT from translating this, of course...

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 06-11-2020 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-11-2020, 03:13 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Thank! About Soviet power - in Russia there was also slave (soft form serfdom). And serfdom mentality was broken by the Revolution 1917 and subsequent upbringing of the "Soviet person".

Oh I see..
BUT:

1.) the creation of "soviet person" targeted EVERYONE, ( not just the former serfs.)
and
2. Yes, "the left" in US is trying to create something of this kind - I call it "shoving square pegs in the round holes"))))

Old 06-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
most of that stuff is unhealthy

She is just showing around there, explaining to Russians what Americans eat.

But here you can see what she herself chooses, when "shopping on a budget."
( She is mentioning to Russians in a process that "you wouldn't be able to afford "kefir" if you are on a budget" ( which is one of Russian staples) and she advises against ramen noodles, "no matter how cheap they are.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 06-11-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I think it's too much optimistic. I can eat this in 3-4 days at most.

Well take it with her - protest, file a complaint))

( And overall take everything she says (and other Russian youtubers actually) with a grain of salt.

Every time I listen to them, I want to say "Yes, you are right, BUT...) and then I usually lose my interest.

P.S. But I like the way she crunches the numbers.
One practical gal.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh I see..
BUT:

1.) the creation of "soviet person" targeted EVERYONE, ( not just the former serfs.)
and
2. Yes, "the left" in US is trying to create something of this kind - I call it "shoving square pegs in the round holes"))))
1. Yes. that’s the point. An attempt to create equals from all sectors of society. Former serfs and landlords became equal in the Soviet system.

Spoiler

Эти семьдесят лет коммунистической системы, которые у нас существовали, они породили одну замечательную вещь: ощущение некоего равенства в обществе, братства в нищете, в беде. Вот это надо сохранить. Уже хотя бы сопротивлением этой системе мы определяли себя, то есть мое поколение, видимо. И за это надо быть благодарными системе, потому что, когда ты имеешь дело со злом, оно позволяет тебе сформулировать, что на свете ценно и что на свете менее ценно. И что меня поражает совершенно на сегодняшний день в возлюбленном отечестве — что люди, то есть значительное количество людей, которых я знал или которых я не знал, но принадлежащих к тому же примерно классу образованных, они ведут себя таким образом, как будто ничему не научились. Как будто им никто никогда не говорил, что надо понимать и любить всех. То есть каждого. Я не понимаю, как это происходит. Я думаю, что в обществе еще есть вот этот общий знаменатель, который бы надо было сохранить. Всеми силами удерживать.
Маркс был прав в одном отношении: капиталистическая система ведет к колоссальной атомизации общества. У нас этой атомизации семьдесят лет не было. Худо-бедно, по каким бы то ни было причинам, у нас было общество. Я думаю, что если мы будем следовать тем, как бы сказать, указаниям или предложениям, которые на сегодняшний день доминируют в сознании как интеллигентной части населения, так и неинтеллигентной, мы можем кончить потерей общества. То есть это будет каждый сам за себя. Такая волчья вещь.

(с)Brodsky
medium.com/@Mikhail_Moroz/brodsky-predslovo-d1ff7340310e

2. Thanks, this is a vivid image . Leftist ideas cannot win in the States, because the US value system has been built on opposing the USSR for a long time. But then, WHAT can relieve tension in the USA, make people equal (they ALL do not want to be equal)? I think this is a very difficult question.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
1. Yes. that’s the point. An attempt to create equals from all sectors of society. Former serfs and landlords became equal in the Soviet system.

Spoiler

Эти семьдесят лет коммунистической системы, которые у нас существовали, они породили одну замечательную вещь: ощущение некоего равенства в обществе, братства в нищете, в беде. Вот это надо сохранить. Уже хотя бы сопротивлением этой системе мы определяли себя, то есть мое поколение, видимо. И за это надо быть благодарными системе, потому что, когда ты имеешь дело со злом, оно позволяет тебе сформулировать, что на свете ценно и что на свете менее ценно. И что меня поражает совершенно на сегодняшний день в возлюбленном отечестве — что люди, то есть значительное количество людей, которых я знал или которых я не знал, но принадлежащих к тому же примерно классу образованных, они ведут себя таким образом, как будто ничему не научились. Как будто им никто никогда не говорил, что надо понимать и любить всех. То есть каждого. Я не понимаю, как это происходит. Я думаю, что в обществе еще есть вот этот общий знаменатель, который бы надо было сохранить. Всеми силами удерживать.
Маркс был прав в одном отношении: капиталистическая система ведет к колоссальной атомизации общества. У нас этой атомизации семьдесят лет не было. Худо-бедно, по каким бы то ни было причинам, у нас было общество. Я думаю, что если мы будем следовать тем, как бы сказать, указаниям или предложениям, которые на сегодняшний день доминируют в сознании как интеллигентной части населения, так и неинтеллигентной, мы можем кончить потерей общества. То есть это будет каждый сам за себя. Такая волчья вещь.

(с)Brodsky
medium.com/@Mikhail_Moroz/brodsky-predslovo-d1ff7340310e

2. Thanks, this is a vivid image . Leftist ideas cannot win in the States, because the US value system has been built on opposing the USSR for a long time. But then, WHAT can relieve tension in the USA, make people equal (they ALL do not want to be equal)? I think this is a very difficult question.

1. That excerpt from Brodsky was wonderful. It reflected my own thoughts on post-Soviet society.

2. " Leftist ideas cannot win in the States, because the US value system has been built on opposing the USSR for a long time."

Hmm... this is kinda unexpected angle.

Can you elaborate on it pls, since I have to be sure regarding your train of thought, before I can comment on it.

3. Now when you talk about "people wanting being equal" in US, what equality are we talking about exactly?
In racial sense?
In socio-economic sense?

Old 06-11-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
1. That excerpt from Brodsky was wonderful. It reflected my own thoughts on post-Soviet society.
Yes, I immediately remembered your posts when I read this.

Quote:
2. " Leftist ideas cannot win in the States, because the US value system has been built on opposing the USSR for a long time."

Hmm... this is kinda unexpected angle.

Can you elaborate on it pls, since I have to be sure regarding your train of thought, before I can comment on it.
I find it difficult to evaluate this, since this is only my reflection of American books and films. But I proceed from the following things:

1. Americans believe that they won the Cold War (perhaps they are right, this is another matter).
2. Americans were really afraid of the communists, especially when the Soviet Union was ahead of the space race (early 60s).
From this we can conclude: communism is the enemy that was defeated.

I would not vote for an ideas of an enemies that we defeated.

Quote:
3. Now when you talk about "people wanting being equal" in US, what equality are we talking about exactly?
In racial sense?
In socio-economic sense?
No, no, no. I think they DON'T want to be equal. Some want benefits and be offended, some want the American dream and confidence in the indestructible proper structure of American society (which has been getting worse lately because of these loafers), some have money and power and don't want to share it. And only an iron skating rink can make them equal and remove the existing differences. And probably it will be skating rink of an authoritarian society. Maybe this will happen in a year, maybe in 100 years, I don’t know.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I immediately remembered your posts when I read this.

I find it difficult to evaluate this, since this is only my reflection of American books and films. But I proceed from the following things:

1. Americans believe that they won the Cold War (perhaps they are right, this is another matter).
2. Americans were really afraid of the communists, especially when the Soviet Union was ahead of the space race (early 60s).
From this we can conclude: communism is the enemy that was defeated.

I would not vote for an ideas of an enemies that we defeated.

Oh I see.

No, in the West ( be that Western Europe or American "left") they approach "left" ideas differently than in Russia.

In Russia ( USSR) the implemented "left" ideas were of extremist kind - i.e. "far left" with abolishment of private property and shifting of all "means of production" under the governmental control.

But since in Western Europe/US the "right" forces that ruled the country were never as conservative and draconian as in Russia, they don't feel the need to such drastic move to the "left" as in Russia. ( I am talking about their "mainstream left" of course.)
So they are not interested in the left extremism of Russian kind, and have their own version of "left ideas" -each European country has its own version, and currently Dem. Party of the US has few versions in mind. (Which is a problem for them, since it doesn't keep Dem's electorate solidly united.)

Quote:
No, no, no. I think they DON'T want to be equal. Some want benefits and be offended, some want the American dream and confidence in the indestructible proper structure of American society (which has been getting worse lately because of these loafers),

I kinda see this kind of perception of situation in Russia, and before I will proceed with further comments, explain to me who are exactly the "loafers" here.

Then I can give the feedback ( share my own thoughts) on what I see is happening in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe