Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 02:57 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Can't repu you. Quite a bit to read here. Thanks for the knowledge.
#11905 #11907 #11910

I dig into it myself as I go.

I was not aware that this region had such long ( ancient) history of events.

This kind of conflict is very reminiscent of Israel/Palestine's one, just more hidden from the eyes of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 03:48 PM

617 posts, read 538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Salary is a pretty poor way to compare anything, that is why no one does it. The better way is GDP per capita, in which Russia is around 27K, while Libya sits at 4K.

Quality of life has little to do with GDP per capita, Russia may have 10K mostly from natural resource exports, but most profits from it go into deep pockets of Putin and friends.

Are you working for Putin too? I'm asking since your statement sounds like typical Russian federal channel brainwash - $700/m in Russia definitely means a very poor country, no matter how you dance around it. And BTW $700 is a very optimistic number (likely a BS from the Russian Rossstat), in most Russian regions outside of SPb and Moscow typical salary is around $250-300/m.
Putin is a criminal, and his government is full of incompetent folks, God help Russia to get rid of this guy at some point in the future, hopefully.

Even tiny former Soviet republics like Lithuania and Estonia now have much higher quality of life, and their GDP/capita BTW is twice that of Russia.

Last edited by civis; 11-14-2020 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-14-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Quality of life has little to do with GDP per capita, Russia may have 10K mostly from natural resource exports, but most profits from it go into deep pockets of Putin and friends.

Are you working for Putin too? I'm asking since your statement sounds like typical Russian federal channel brainwash - $700/m in Russia definitely means a very poor country, no matter how you dance around it. And BTW $700 is a very optimistic number (likely a BS from the Russian Rossstat), in most Russian regions outside of SPb and Moscow typical salary is around $250-300/m.

And you are working for Zelensky/ Poroshenko then?

Quote:
Putin is a criminal, and his government is full of incompetent folks, God help Russia to get rid of this guy at some point in the future, hopefully.
Yet at this point in time Russians are not in a hurry to get rid of him.

Did you ever wonder why?

Quote:
Even tiny former Soviet republics like Lithuania and Estonia now have much higher quality of life, and their GDP/capita BTW is twice that of Russia.
I'll leave it up to Anhity to comment on "higher quality of life" in those "former Soviet Republics," but here is an interesting article on a subject of Russian salaries, that you might like.

And while you are in that, pay attention at these two particular sections;

What is Normal
and
Russian Attitudes to Rich and Poor ( excellent link to the article in Russian. Recommended.)

( The latter one gives me an idea that Russians are alive and well, in spite of all odds.)

Old 11-14-2020, 05:13 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,686 times
The Arm/Azer war is being cited as the first where fast cheap armed drones made a decisive difference over expensive tanks and armoured vehicles.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...&stream=future

Old 11-14-2020, 05:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
You know what I meant, don't BS me and people who never lived in Russia. US never advertises free health care as Russia does. In the US or any other Western country I don't have to "corrupt" a doctor to make him do his job because his salary so miserable he wouldn't make it without taking "gifts".
Those are free clinics. You would be denied treatment or care if you can pay here as well. There are two separate medical systems in some countries with free medical care. You have to get private insurance in place of or in addition to the government-administered insurance plan. I would expect the same in Russia as they have in the US, Britain, and elsewhere. The very wealthy have their own doctors and their own wings of the hospitals (called VIP here), both of which they pay for.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
The Arm/Azer war is being cited as the first where fast cheap armed drones made a decisive difference over expensive tanks and armoured vehicles.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...&stream=future

This was not a "game changer" to speak of.
Armenia is impoverished small nation ( about roughly 3 million people) with no particular army to speak of.

Azerbaijan on another hand is about 10 million population, awash with petrodollars (that were invested in the army/weapons) including.

So what worked in these circumstances won't necessarily work in the other ones.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I dig into it myself as I go.

I was not aware that this region had such long ( ancient) history of events.

This kind of conflict is very reminiscent of Israel/Palestine's one, just more hidden from the eyes of the world.

P.S.

"According to the histories of both Moses of Chorene and Michael Chamchian, Armenia derives from the name of Aram, a lineal descendant of Hayk.[39][40] The Table of Nations lists Aram as the son of Shem, to whom the Book of Jubilees attests,
"And for Aram there came forth the fourth portion, all the land of Mesopotamia between the Tigris and the Euphrates to the north of the Chaldees to the border of the mountains of Asshur and the land of 'Arara.[41][42]"
Jubilees 8:21 also apportions the Mountains of Ararat to Shem, which Jubilees 9:5 expounds to be apportioned to Aram.[41][42] The historian Flavius Josephus also states in his Antiquities of the Jews,
"Aram had the Aramites, which the Greeks called Syrians;... Of the four sons of Aram, Uz founded Trachonitis and Damascus: this country lies between Palestine and Celesyria. Ul founded Armenia; and Gather the Bactrians; and Mesa the Mesaneans; it is now called Charax Spasini."[43]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia#Demographics

I thought so. My guess always was that they were related to Jews somehow...
Hence - genocides, persecutions and huge diaspora scattered around the world.
Just a guess.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
I was doing some reading and it's said you need 2 Jews to cheat an Armenian.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This was not a "game changer" to speak of.
Armenia is impoverished small nation ( about roughly 3 million people) with no particular army to speak of.

Azerbaijan on another hand is about 10 million population, awash with petrodollars (that were invested in the army/weapons) including.

So what worked in these circumstances won't necessarily work in the other ones.
I generally don't pay much attention to people who make conclusory statements (not a game changer) with certainty. I'll just note this:

Think about what you wrote, Armenia, small, poor, with expensive weaponry, (and according to you, no army to speak of), Azerbaijan, larger wealthier with inexpensive weaponry. What if it was Armenia that had the drones and Azerbaijan had the tanks?

Pointing out the obvious, that it might not work in other situations, is as useless as me asserting the alternative.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
The Armenian Army has D-44 85mm ATGs along with ZIS-76mm guns of WWII vintage in their inventory. They have no mortars above 82mm. 10 T-90 tanks and about 70 ancient T-72s.

Artillery is real second class stuff with small numbers of Smerches, SCUDS and a few Iskanders. The tactical situation for them is not good if employed.

Armenia isn't going to hit anybody hard.

Drones though are making a significant impact on the battlefield. As a force magnifier they are a tremendous threat. On the battlefield there's a rule. If you can be seen you will be dead. I think here drones made all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe