Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2021, 09:07 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not talking about the international laws here Grega, but about different, more profound things that put these two countries in different weight categories, with Ukrainians being totally in denial about it.

For starters of course, there was never such thing as "Ukrainian state" in history, if we don't refer to the Kievan Rus. But since Russia ( or rather the Russian Empire) is the successor of the Kievan Rus, Ukraine was never more than the atavism of the Kievan Rus, the lands that remained on the outskirts of the Russian Empire, and people that couldn't stand on their own, leave alone creating any kind of their own state.

In fact, once these people realized that they were going to be decimated by the Catholic Poland, they simply blackmailed Russian tzar to admit them into Russian state ( where they rightfully belonged to begin with.)
Were they oppressed by the Russian throne after that? I am sure they were, but so were the Russian serfs/peasants as well. And with that, the fact remains; no matter how much these people of the western-most territories of the Russian Empire (i.e. "ukrainians") were claiming their "free spirited nature" and threatening to go their "separate way," the fact remains they couldn't even survive on their own as independent group of people, leave alone creating their own state.

All these Odessas, industrial base of the Eastern Ukraine - with other words, things that modern Ukraine is trying to claim as its own "achievement," and "essentially Ukrainian," - in reality it's all Russian Empire and ITS achievements, through and through.

Same goes to the times of the Soviet Union; the newly organized "Ukrainian Republic" was doing well, as long as the major *think tank,* the force organizing and supporting it, was still in Moscow, as back in Imperial times.

Once *Ukraine* was left alone thirty years ago, to fend for itself, it didn't prosper away from Russia, as some were hoping for.

So Ukrainians can invent the alternative history all they want.
They can claim that "Moscovites" stole Ukrainian identity and the historic name of their country, they can claim that "Rus" is really Ukraine, and Russia is some "unrelated mongolian state," they can invent the myth of their "great language" not related to Russian, they can huff and puff all they want, and point at the "international laws," that make Ukraine as a country "equal to Russia," yet the fact remains.

These two countries are in two completely different weight categories on a number of parameters, but first of all - the ability to stand on its own as a state.
And when Ukrainian nationalists stomp their feet like a toddler, demanding the same treatment as an adult in international field, they don't comprehend apparently how far the picture that they created in their own head differs from the real situation.
Very accurate summary of what went on in the not to distant past. When it comes the eastern European Slavs it seems they always fight amongst themselves, this makes them weak and destined to be ruled from outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 09:58 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Very accurate summary of what went on in the not to distant past. When it comes the eastern European Slavs it seems they always fight amongst themselves, this makes them weak and destined to be ruled from outside.

Well no, not exactly Scrat..

If you look a bit further back in history, same goes to people of "Germanic origin."
Europe knows plenty of wars and infighting in the Western part of it as well.

Why is it, and how big of a role Church played in it, I am not sure, but it's part of European history overall.

It's just these conflicts took place in Western part of Europe earlier in time, while Eastern Europe ( or rather Russia) is a more of a late comer on the historic scene, and that's why the conflicts on its Western border with other slavs are more visible.
And in this case Church played a big role in this infighting - that's for sure.
And of course this conflict has been shrewdly used by the Western powers to their own advantage starting from the middle ages (?) I think.

It has to be noted that Russia was using the internal conflicts of the Western Europeans as well back in time, siding with whomever it was finding convenient for the time being.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
I don't think the current Ukrainian government has any right to exist. The 2014 coup happened because the powers in opposition knew they could not win the coming election. It was not an ELECTION in 2014, it was the overthrow of the Yanukovich government.

The current Ukrainian government is illegitimate, Ukraine is simply a pawn. Were it otherwise Ukraine and Russia relations would be different. I would not use Britain and the US as a standard, great nations do as they will, lesser nations do as they must. Things will not change soon, Russia has always been under threat and it seems that they will always be under threat. It's best for her to minimize threats in the face of the inevitable.
I would say a little differently

All countries do what they can and do what they can afford

Old 05-22-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And what kind of internecine strife there is not look closely, everywhere someone's ears stick out.And it's always the same the owner of the ears is the same, and so it is all over the world.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:47 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
would a visitor to the likes of Moscow struggle if they did not know much about the place in advance ?

is the tourist sector idiot proof ?

Old 05-23-2021, 08:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
would a visitor to the likes of Moscow struggle if they did not know much about the place in advance ?

Yes and NO!!!

Moscow is a huge city and if you don't study the transportation system and attractions you want to see you will be lost. The language is good to know in a basic manner also.

The Metro is the key. You can get anywhere quickly and cheaply compared to car and cab. It's huge and spending a day or so just being lost on it is a great experience. It's english language friendly but the sheer size can make it bewildering.

If you want to go on tours I am not the one to ask. I did it all by foot usually all on my own over many years. I hear the Garden Ring tours are great.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:42 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Not the "likes of Moscow" but Moscow in particular - yes.

The key ( as Scrat mentioned) is the Moscow metro here.
On one hand - it's an awesome thing and it will bring you to any point of destination in no time.

On another hand, using it can be tricky, when it comes to changing lines.

I'll show you now what I am talking about;

This is the map of Moscow metro.

If, for example ( hypothetically speaking) your hotel is somewhere close to the metro station "Sokolniki" ( red line, look at the top right corner, it's one of the stations there) and you want to make it straight to the center of the city, you are in luck. You just walk to that metro station, take the train going down to, say "Okhotny Ryad," and you are as close to the Tverskay (main avenue of Moscow) and the Red Square as it gets.

The tricky part however comes with this; see the other two stations ( green and dark blue) adjoined to Okhotny Ryad? Those are the transition points to different lines, and if your point of destination on one of these lines ( say "Shelkovskaya" metro station on dark blue line - look at the top right corner again,) then this "transition point," the switching of lines might be a major challenge for you.

Yes, the signs pointing in the right direction are all there all right, BUT the walk through the long passages might be confusing, particularly when there are couple of transition points, from one station to two other.

This is what it will look like on practice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5auuOqO3ToQ

See, they changed the line here, and from "Okhotny Ryad" ( red line) they switched to metro station "Teatralnaya) (green line.)

But since it's the transit point for one more line, and there are a lot of other signs, names of the stations and so on, it's not easy to digest all this info and to figure it out all at once, even if now Moscow metro became more English-friendly, and they write the names of the stations ( and even announce them) in English.

( They interview some English-speaking person there, and he thinks that Moscow metro is the best in the world, ( cheap, efficient,) once they finally came up with announcements of the stations in English at least)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJEBoLTkh64

Once you nail this part, ( of changing lines,) there is no stopping you, because Moscow's system of public transportation can bring you anywhere, and you can easily explore the city on your own. ( Just always remember where your nearest metro station is, and what's the name of it. )
Because from there, you can always learn what bus/tram to take to your next point of destination, if you can't reach it on foot.
As I've said before, I had no problems navigating Vienna after Moscow; same idea behind it, just smaller place and the language was different.

And as far as eateries/hotels in Moscow go, you can always check the recommendations on "Trip advisor" I guess.

P.S. Actually, from what I see here, things greatly improved when it comes to using English in Moscow's subway - these are the detailed instructions, that give you pretty good idea of what this is all about;

How to use The Moscow Metro - Navigation, Stations, Tickets

Last edited by erasure; 05-23-2021 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-23-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Not the "likes of Moscow" but Moscow in particular - yes.

The key ( as Scrat mentioned) is the Moscow metro here.
On one hand - it's an awesome thing and it will bring you to any point of destination in no time.

On another hand, using it can be tricky, when it comes to changing lines.

If, for example ( hypothetically speaking) your hotel is somewhere close to the metro station "Sokolniki" ( red line, look at the top right corner, it's one of the stations there) and you want to make it straight to the center of the city, you are in luck. You just walk to that metro station, take the train going down to, say "Okhotny Ryad," and you are as close to the Tverskay (main avenue of Moscow) and the Red Square as it gets.

The tricky part however comes with this; see the other two stations ( green and dark blue) adjoined to Okhotny Ryad? Those are the transition points to different lines, and if your point of destination on one of these lines ( say "Shelkovskaya" metro station on dark blue line - look at the top right corner again,) then this "transition point," the switching of lines might be a major challenge for you.

Yes, the signs pointing in the right direction are all there all right, BUT the walk through the long passages might be confusing, particularly when there are couple of transition points, from one station to two other.

This is what it will look like on practice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5auuOqO3ToQ

See, they changed the line here, and from "Okhotny Ryad" ( red line) they switched to metro station "Teatralnaya) (green line.)

But since it's the transit point for one more line, and there are a lot of other signs, names of the stations and so on, it's not easy to digest all this info and to figure it out all at once, even if now Moscow metro became more English-friendly, and they write the names of the stations ( and even announce them) in English.

( They interview some English-speaking person there, and he thinks that Moscow metro is the best in the world, ( cheap, efficient,) once they finally came up with translation of the stations at least)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJEBoLTkh64

Once you nail this part, ( of changing lines,) there is no stopping you, because Moscow's system of public transportation can bring you anywhere, and you can easily explore the city on your own. ( Just always remember where your nearest metro station is, and what's the name of it. )
Because from there, you can always learn what bus/tram to take to your next point of destination, if you can't reach it on foot.
As I've said before, I had no problems navigating Vienna after Moscow; same idea behind it, just smaller place and the language was different.

And as far as eateries/hotels in Moscow go, you can always check the recommendations on "Trip advisor" I guess.

P.S. Actually, from what I see here, things greatly improved when it comes to using English in Moscow's subway - these are the detailed instructions, that give you pretty good idea of what this is all about;

How to use The Moscow Metro - Navigation, Stations, Tickets
By the way, there are not many such long transitions there. It is more difficult to get out of the station correctly, there are two exits, on one side and on the other .Sometimes you have to then stomp on foot an extra half a kilometer or more, because you went in the wrong direction ))
Also, I recommend buying a troika card right away.In addition to the fact that this is a 20% discount on transport (so it seems) it's also very convenient ! This card is valid for all public transport (except taxis).Another interesting point is that if you are traveling with a transfer, that is, you got off at a stop and do not leave it and get on another bus, then the money is not removed from you, you are traveling on the previous ticket.

At the expense of a snack, it is probably best to go to some large shopping center, if there is one nearby.There are usually on the top floor, a lot of restarans, cafes, sushi bars and fast food chains for every taste

And of course, to travel around Moscow, you just need Yandex navigator, Yandex maps in your smartphone (it will build you a walking route or a route on public transport), Yandex taxi ( if you still issue a simple debit card in Sberbank and put some money there and then link this card to the Yandex taxi app, then you will not have to pay the taxi driver, the money will be debited from the card automatically, and you will know the amount even before you called a taxi. from point a to point b )
And of course, everything is done by bank transfer, via the card.You don't need to stock up on wads of cash ))

Old 05-23-2021, 02:19 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:

This is a very old map, a more relevant map is:

https://yandex.com/metro/moscow

In recent years, Moscow has been doing a lot to develop the surface metro. This is the central ring and chords that connect, among other things, cities of the Moscow region (we are not talking about the old system of electric trains, but about new lines).

Old 05-23-2021, 02:20 PM

Some new cars

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe