Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:59 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Who told you that Military spending is Russia #1 priority??

A dose of reality

USA 2019 budget

Russia 2020 federal budget (security means also police forces which are at national level in Russia)

For both countries, the military spending has huge implication in the countries R&D and science capabilities, education, etc...

So where's that "dose of reality"? US with 10% defense spending is able to dominate whole world with its 600+ military bases and world wide presence. Russia is barely able to show its power in Syria, with similar spending percentage wise.

Looks like there's massive corruption and inefficiency going on in Russia's military spending - no surprise here really especially for native Russians living in Russia "enjoying" crumbling infrastructure and humiliating average pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 08:33 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
So where's that "dose of reality"? US with 10% defense spending is able to dominate whole world with its 600+ military bases and world wide presence. Russia is barely able to show its power in Syria, with similar spending percentage wise.

Looks like there's massive corruption and inefficiency going on in Russia's military spending - no surprise here really especially for native Russians living in Russia "enjoying" crumbling infrastructure and humiliating average pay.
You live in a world of illusions.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:21 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:

Civis, number one - the US spends twice as much on the military budget than Russia, i.e. $778 billion VS $334 billion ( back in 2020.)
And number two - it's the US that is striving for the world domination ( hence 600+ military bases around the world,) not Russia, in spite of all these "Russian aggression" claims.

Russia didn't send troops to Syria to show its power, but it sent them there out of the necessity.

There are few strategically sensitive points in this world, that are essential for Russia's geopolitical well-being, and Syria happened to be one of them.

Quote:
Looks like there's massive corruption and inefficiency going on in Russia's military spending
- no surprise here really especially for native Russians living in Russia "enjoying" crumbling infrastructure and humiliating average pay.
Actually, the more I am looking at the current situation in Afghanistan, the more I tend to think otherwise.

Namely - I am thinking about the massive corruption and inefficiency going on in Pentagon, rather than in the Russian military.

Biden is voicing some astronomic figures that were spent in Afghanistan, for training and preparing the Afghan army including.
The way it works as far as I understand, is that the majority of these funds go to some "contractors" ( American contractors that is,) that are signing up to fulfill this or that part of the operation ( preparing the Afghan troops in this case.)

And now, when I am reading something like this -

"Still, the Taliban could break down aircraft for parts to be used elsewhere or sold. Billions of dollars' worth of U.S. aerial technology would be at the disposal of the group it spent two decades hunting.

Flight Global's annual report counts a total of 19 Super Tucano aircraft, produced by Brazilian Embraer company with a production line in the U.S. run by the Sierra Nevada Corporation to produce aircraft for export.

The Pentagon purchased these Super Tucanos in a $427 million deal with Sierra Nevada and Embraer, with the aircraft built at an Embraer facility at Jackson International Airport in Florida.

Since their arrival in Afghanistan in 2016, these aircraft have conducted thousands of sorties, using precision munitions including Paveway laser-guided bombs produced by the Texas Instruments firm.

The air force also fields four C-130H Hercules transport aircraft, made by Lockheed Martin, in a deal worth more than $100 million. The Hercules aircraft were taken from the existing U.S. stock.

The air force flies at least nine Sikorsky-made UH-60A Black Hawk helicopters—of the original 159 ordered at a cost of between $5.75 billion and $7 billion—and 68 McDonnell Douglas-made MD530F light helicopters, part of a deal for 150 aircraft at a cost of $1.4 billion.

Among the ANA's armored vehicles are hundreds of American-made platforms. Kabul signed a deal for 8,500 Humvees, at least hundreds of which are already believed to have been captured by the Taliban.

The ANA also agreed on deals to receive more than 200 Mine-Resistant Armored Vehicles (MRAPs) from the U.S., plus 634 M117 Strike Force Vehicles at a cost of $661.3 million,"

- I have quite a few questions to ask.

Like when you spend this kind of money on this kind of equipment, that is supposedly "matched up" with the "new and trained" Afghan army, and when you see this Afghan army NOW, leaving the battle field in droves, ( although according to Biden they outnumber the Taliban pithecanthropuses,) I'd like to put now all these "contractors" and "army trainers" together face to face, and ask "where is the result of your "joint operation", or rather why the result is such an utter crap?" (Particularly if someone else was "contracted" to train that aforementioned "new Afghan army.")

I feel livid watching how easily this Taliban vermin is taking over the territory, practically unhindered, once American troops are leaving the place.

So if I'd be planning to take my troops out of the country in a timely manner, counting on the newly prepared local army to do its job, (which it's now utterly failing) - yeah, I'd start questioning my military spending habits.

Which in this case would be Pentagon.
But you are pointing your finger at the "massive corruption and inefficiency going in Russia's military" instead.
Actually I think that under Shoigu they are doing just fine over there.

Because with the twice smaller budget they meet all their goals intended for building all kinds of the *protective gear* - don't know even the names of all their rockets-shmockets.

And with all these updated shmockets no one can touch them.

So tell me more about the "massive corruption and inefficiency," when it comes to the military complex.

Last edited by erasure; 08-11-2021 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 01:48 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
America and their favorite people below )...btw China are horrible vs the yuyughurs! "savetheyuyugurus" lol..

edit: this photo is even funnier with the quote from the idiot on the left:

Old 08-12-2021, 04:29 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

Someone already replied to you, no need to further explanation. Russia does not have world domination goals, it wants its space and be able to deny anyone control over its resources and such space and it does that admirable since the US doesn't dare to even try.

Enjoying crumbling infrastructure?? You mean the US??

Russia built this little bridge here in 3 years or so.

In Seattle I'm still waiting after 1.5 years the beginning of the repair of a less than half mile bridge after millions spent on "studying the problem".

Russia military procurement is miles ahead of the US one in terms of value delivered for the money.

Western analysts predicted a disaster for Russia in Syria....we all know what happened....

This POS garbage house recently sold for over 1 Mil, surrounded by over 70 years old road surfaces all broken and in desperate need of repair.....even if you work at the top IT shops in Seattle you would not qualify to buy this...."mansion"....unless you can put a significant chunk of cash down....

GINI coefficient is actually worse in US than Russia....

Even this Western starry eyes Russian had to admit that Russia does few things right after a recent trip to the US

"What US Ñities Ñan learn from Moscow. My Impressions after 2 months in the US. A night in Moscow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34zM_K_hlQ&t=231s

Russia has serious problems but the US way ain't the paradise or the solution....

Frankly, you have no clue of what you are talking about.....

Old 08-12-2021, 04:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russia, i.e. $778 billion VS $334 billion ( back in 2020.)
You are way off Erasure, Russia military defence spending, (PPP) is well below $200 billion, nominal around $70 billion or less.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:36 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Russia has drawn down about 80% of its troop strength in Syria since 2016. Most of the country is now delineated by deconfliction zones where the US, Russia, and Turkey seek to avoid direct combat. There's been very little shift in territories held since. Russia is primarily providing air support to the Syrian army.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Bus explosion in Voronezh. NG powered bus? I doubt it. Maybe somebody brought something explosive aboard? Officials say terrorist attack least likely.

https://tass.com/emergencies/1325377

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=i6zohp

https://www.rt.com/russia/531890-vor...bus-explosion/

Old 08-12-2021, 09:57 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I really think that this time around Afghanistan is going to have a real opportunity for progress to happen. Just like in the past (1960s and 1970s) where stability allowed for it. The Talibs are not stupid and they know that great powers are willing to work with them if certain standards are met and the results will be far and away what they have been offered so far. They'll make efforts to meet demands they are being asked to.

Afghanistan is a key piece in the expansion of Chinas BRI and Chinas overall plan for the World Island. They have all the methods in place to turn the country around. I highly suspect the US, Britain and others will do their utmost to obstruct any progress being made. Terrorism, mass bombing of even civilian areas, even another invasion in the near future should not be taken off the table.

Well Taliban reps that sit somewhere in Doha don't seem to be able to control the Taliban commanders on the ground ( same story as with Zelensky who can't control the nationalists on the LDNR border ( or elsewhere, while negotiating with the West regarding Donbass.)

And so while the gulf Arab countries could have considered an effort to legitimize the Talibs that they are talking with in Doha, they might see a bigger picture out there, the situation developing in Afghanistan, the disaster that it is.

And not to be so keen to endorse the Talibs after all.

Otherwise I don't even know what to make out of this event - Saudies siding with India instead of Pakistan.

( At least for now.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHNFFR48CJE

But that's not all.
The news keep on coming, and I am watching the developments in that part of the world, the power reconfiguration, which might redefine that whole region as I already mentioned, as the result of withdrawal of American troops.

So everyone understands by now ( including Biden it seems) that Pakistan is behind this Taliban empowerment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-9c9IIo-9k

Which in turn ( from what I hear) is bringing Pakistan and China closer together ( minus that Uighur issue.)

Iran is thinking about joining the Shanghai Cooperation Organization,

seeking closer ties with Russia and China. ( After all the pressure the US gov put on it.)

And Russia of course is "tightening its grip" on Central Asia.

But since I still see the internal conflicts/unsettled issues between the major players in the region, I'll give it some time, before I'll come to definite conclusions of what's coming ahead for Afghanistan.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:29 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Otherwise I don't even know what to make out of this event - Saudies siding with India instead of Pakistan.

So everyone understands by now ( including Biden it seems) that Pakistan is behind this Taliban empowerment.
The key to who wins in Afghanistan has always been Pakistan. The Pashtuns in Afpak are more than twice the population of the rest of Afghanistan which is under the divided governance of various ethnic tribes.

Your information is out of date. Pakistan has always backed the Taliban since the Taliban represent a political and para-military organization that represents the Pashtun population in both countries. As much as 1/3rd of the Taliban fighters are or were regular Pakistani army. The US and Saudi Arabia used to provide assistance in building and training the military schools in Pakistan to indoctrinate fighters against the Soviets (the jihadist textbooks). They have been on the outs since the US tried to overthrow Pakistan's government by supporting the TTP (Pakistani Taliban) in the mid 2010's. India has also backed TTP and ISIS Khorasan.

I think this is a good example of divide-and-rule where the US and British are on the wrong end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe