Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 09:33 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The key to who wins in Afghanistan has always been Pakistan. The Pashtuns in Afpak are more than twice the population of the rest of Afghanistan which is under the divided governance of various ethnic tribes.

Your information is out of date. Pakistan has always backed the Taliban since the Taliban represent a political and para-military organization that represents the Pashtun population in both countries. As much as 1/3rd of the Taliban fighters are or were regular Pakistani army. The US and Saudi Arabia used to provide assistance in building and training the military schools in Pakistan to indoctrinate fighters against the Soviets (the jihadist textbooks). They have been on the outs since the US tried to overthrow Pakistan's government by supporting the TTP (Pakistani Taliban) in the mid 2010's. India has also backed TTP and ISIS Khorasan.

I think this is a good example of divide-and-rule where the US and British are on the wrong end.

What information exactly?

Of course I always knew about Pakistan madrassas preparing/supporting Afghanistan's "freedom fighters."
Even Osama Bin Laden was killed on Pakistan's territory from what I remember.

It's just like never before all the stern gazes are set on Pakistan, Biden's including.

And even the Saudis as I discover now are shying away from Pakistan's support. (At least on a surface ( I never trust the Islamists, always having their ulterior motives in mind.))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You are way off Erasure, Russia military defence spending, (PPP) is well below $200 billion, nominal around $70 billion or less.

That's what I've heard on the Russian news another day, but I was going by your chart that you left earlier.

Just to be on a safe side.
But still, Russian military spending is much less than that of Pentagon's, but surprise-surprise more efficient.

Like for example they can leave the Syrian army to stand on its own, without it collapsing within a month.
So yeah, it would be interesting to hear from the Pentagon and all those contractors.

But will we ever?

Last edited by erasure; 08-13-2021 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 10:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's what I've heard on the Russian news another day, but I was going by your chart that you left earlier.
The slice of that pie is "Defense and security", which includes police forces that are outside of the proper military spending calculus.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's just like never before all the stern gazes are set on Pakistan, Biden's including.

And even the Saudis as I discover now are shying away from Pakistan's support. (At least on a surface ( I never trust the Islamists, always having their ulterior motives in mind.))
Saudis demanded repayment of loan to Pakistan which was intended to keep them from going to the IMF for a bailout. Pakistan is very low on foreign exchange reserves. US and India have trade sanctions against Pakistan. China has been propping them up.

The withdrawal deal between the US and the Taliban never included the Afghan government. China and others are quickly moving to recognize the Taliban as the Afghanistan government when this is over.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
I read an opinion piece on the Taliban a week or so ago by an 75 year old man from Azerbaijan. He's lived in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran for years before he settled down. He attended a University in Kabul in the 1970s and even the US in the 1960s. He was in Saigon when it fell to the NVA.

He pointed out the similarities between the US withdrawal from S Vietnam and what we are seeing today in Afghanistan. Like in Vietnam the US has set up totally corrupt government totally devoid of concern for the populace. So much so that like in Vietnam when the soldiers of the north came south the people did not care, as a matter of fact the majority sided with the "bad guys" if not actively joined them.

He says the Taliban are for all practical purposes the people of Afghanistan. The people at best do not care about the corrupt government in Kabul and at worst intend to take part in it's destruction. The common Afghan person owes nothing to Kabul because Kabul has never in 20 years of rule bettered their lives in any significant manner.

I'll try to get that article again and link it.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:00 PM

The explosion on the bus came from the passenger compartment. I wonder if it was a bag left on the bus.

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=2114if

Old 08-13-2021, 07:06 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
America and their favorite people below )...btw China are horrible vs the yuyughurs! "savetheyuyugurus" lol..

edit: this photo is even funnier with the quote from the idiot on the left:

Ronald Reagan was right then and still is right now, although not in the way he wanted to be. Osama bin Laden is absolutely the same as US "Founding Fathers". They are terrorists. Here is the explanation:

"Some of "Founding Fathers" could be considered terrorists, in retrospect. There were attacks on loyalist civilians, including some carried about by prominent groups like the Sons of Liberty. Loyalist media was attacked, like pamphleteers, homes were burned, good looted, and of course the rather famous “tarring and feathering”. Under the scope of modern international law you could certainly argue they engaged in terrorist tactics against loyalist civilians.

Now that doesn’t include all of them, so we can’t talk about the founding fathers as a group. But there were certainly some, particularly those involved with the Sons of Liberty, that engaged in targeting civilians and tactics designed to spread fear. "

Old 08-13-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Ronald Reagan was right then and still is right now, although not in the way he wanted to be. Osama bin Laden is absolutely the same as US "Founding Fathers". They are terrorists. Here is the explanation:

"Some of "Founding Fathers" could be considered terrorists, in retrospect. There were attacks on loyalist civilians, including some carried about by prominent groups like the Sons of Liberty. Loyalist media was attacked, like pamphleteers, homes were burned, good looted, and of course the rather famous “tarring and feathering”. Under the scope of modern international law you could certainly argue they engaged in terrorist tactics against loyalist civilians.

Now that doesn’t include all of them, so we can’t talk about the founding fathers as a group. But there were certainly some, particularly those involved with the Sons of Liberty, that engaged in targeting civilians and tactics designed to spread fear. "
Very true. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:01 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Russia has no plans to abandon embassy.

Russia has first-rate intelligence in Afghanistan. Moscow's understanding of Taliban's intentions puts US to shame. There's no "apocalypse now"! Taliban'll ultimately march into Kabul not to conquer but to join post-Ghani inclusive govt. Why should Russia vacate its embassy?

There’s much here for NATO powers to mull over. If they’ve taken fright, that is only because they’re haunted by their own past excesses and cruelties against a hapless people. Hour of reckoning is coming, as Afghan people will surely demand some answers sooner or later.

tweet

Last edited by lchoro; 08-14-2021 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Russia has no plans to abandon embassy.

Russia has first-rate intelligence in Afghanistan. Moscow's understanding of Taliban's intentions puts US to shame. There's no "apocalypse now"! Taliban'll ultimately march into Kabul not to conquer but to join post-Ghani inclusive govt. Why should Russia vacate its embassy?

There’s much here for NATO powers to mull over. If they’ve taken fright, that is only because they’re haunted by their own past excesses and cruelties against a hapless people. Hour of reckoning is coming, as Afghan people will surely demand some answers sooner or later.

tweet

Confirmed.
Russians are "sitting on a fence" when it comes to the embassy, but they are definitely not ready to run at this point, as their Western counterparts.

The embassy reports that as far as the amenities go, "everything is still in a working condition, in spite of the outages from time to time."

I am quoting the article here;

"Americans have set us up and the rest of the world community, going ahead with their troops withdrawal.
Of course we are concerned with a threat in a sense that practically all the border with Tadjikistan, Turmenistan and so on is already controlled by Taliban.

We have an enormous task ahead of us on diplomatic and political level, ( engaging the UN including,) in order to not allow the Talibs break-through on Tadjikistan border."

And this is why I am pointing at the fact that Afghanistan ( and American troops withdrawal) is not just about Afghanistan, but reconfiguration of that whole part of the world - the new alliances that are lining up, and all this great round of negotiations that Russians will have to do. (The video below.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfPCLQuZJc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe