Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 04:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Is it a US tour operator?

If yes, then you'll get your refund I'm sure IF they decide to shut down the dip channels.
But it might not happen.

So let's wait and see what develops.
I think it's either Italian or Russian company. Tour departs from Europe. Why can't they get me a visa from Russian embassy in Italy? I'm not too worried in any case.

Also, I figure Russia has advanced military technology. If there is military conflict, Russia will just use long range missiles and drone attacks. Any troops will only move into an area after it's been decimated. Ukraine does not have such technology. Should not affect my visit to the Hermitage Museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 04:27 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I think it's either Italian or Russian company. Tour departs from Europe. Why can't they get me a visa from Russian embassy in Italy? I'm not too worried in any case.
Oh, then it's a different story.

Quote:
Also, I figure Russia has advanced military technology. If there is military conflict, Russia will just use long range missiles and drone attacks. Any troops will only move into an area after it's been decimated. Ukraine does not have such technology. Should not affect my visit to the Hermitage Museum.
You know, I sense that Pu is up to something.

When I was listening to Russian news today ( on everything what's developing,) they are literally loling in that studio "60 Minutes" ( and this includes some MP talking to them directly from Ukrainian parliament, and describing what a mad house going on there.)

Plus this particular point in Putin's demands/requests ( call it whatever you like) addressed to NATO - to roll everything back to the 1997 positions ( when the original agreement has been signed, ) makes me think that he wouldn't make such hefty demand, IF he wouldn't have something already prepared down his sleeve.

P. S. Yes, visiting Hermitage is worth the trouble.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
I want to go for a month. I will get my new passport next week then I hope a VISA. My daughters don't like the idea of me going and they will not let the kids go. Drilling their brains about it last year it was about costs. Now they don't like what they're hearing at all.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:57 PM

This is actually something pleasant to talk about for a change.

Russian archeologists are exploring the ancient city under water, mentioned in the Old Testament, off the Syrian coast.

Their Syrian colleagues are improving their skills, working side by side with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPPx5SH04Hk

( That's somewhere there - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arwad )

Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 AM

FESCO shipping delivered the first of many cargos to Vladivostok for shipment to Europe via Russian rail. Frozen goods in refrigerated containers.

This commerce is something the US doesn't like either. The new Silk Road means a lot and it is another step towards US irrelevance in world affairs.

https://tass.com/economy/1397341

Last edited by Scrat335; 02-03-2022 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Forgot link.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:57 AM

Russia will kick DW from Russian media. Because, well.....

https://www.rt.com/russia/548221-rt-...-response-ban/

Why not.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I want to go for a month. I will get my new passport next week then I hope a VISA. My daughters don't like the idea of me going and they will not let the kids go. Drilling their brains about it last year it was about costs. Now they don't like what they're hearing at all.
Where do you plan to go? It's a big country. Also note, that efforts to protect people from Covid reportedly are weak.

Let us know if they give you a visa. They could suspend visa-giving, or limit it, due to what we might euphemistically call "diplomatic tensions". It happens. The US does the same, when there are "tensions" with Russia.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
NY Times says, Russia was planning to run a video about fake atrocities committed by Ukraine soldiers on Russians in Ukraine as pretext for invasion. The US plans to foil the effort by running the film before Russia does. I wonder if this type of ploy has been used before, perhaps regarding Transdniestria, for example, or other border hot-spots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/u...n-pretext.html

Old 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
NY Times says, Russia was planning to run a video about fake atrocities committed by Ukraine soldiers on Russians in Ukraine as pretext for invasion. The US plans to foil the effort by running the film before Russia does. I wonder if this type of ploy has been used before, perhaps regarding Transdniestria, for example, or other border hot-spots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/u...n-pretext.html

Ruth, as I already said - the DNR is reporting that all major US media outlets arrived in the area, and apparently a big media campaign is planned to paint the LDNR in the darkest colors possible, now that the Minsk agreement is falling through, and Ukr. officials are acknowledging that they refuse to fulfill it.

P.S. I suspect that this drummed up propaganda campaign might come in place in order to justify the upcoming attack on LDNR.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you plan to go? It's a big country.
I've been there many times and to many places. I have a couple of friends there. My plan is from Vladimir to Volgograd and Smolenck to Lake Baikal and any place I like in between those 4 points. Except Ukraine.

Quote:
Also note, that efforts to protect people from Covid reportedly are weak.
I'm not a Branch Covidian. I could not care less.

Quote:
Let us know if they give you a visa. They could suspend visa-giving, or limit it, due to what we might euphemistically call "diplomatic tensions". It happens. The US does the same, when there are "tensions" with Russia.
Things are changing rapidly for me health wise I found just yesterday. Between that and the political situation I may only have to put it off a few months, hopefully. I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe