Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times

Advertisements

I’m pretty sure that food quality has gone down, but don’t you think a large part of that could be attributed to nostalgia? I know plenty of food that I loved as a kid I now find repulsive. People’s tastes and preferences change over time. Also from stories I heard there wasn’t much of quality control back then to begin with. I’ve heard of stories about rats falling into the meat grinders and tainting the sausages. There’s a psychological phenomenon where as people get older they exaggerate the good memories and forget the bad ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I’m pretty sure that food quality has gone down, but don’t you think a large part of that could be attributed to nostalgia? I know plenty of food that I loved as a kid I now find repulsive. People’s tastes and preferences change over time. Also from stories I heard there wasn’t much of quality control back then to begin with. I’ve heard of stories about rats falling into the meat grinders and tainting the sausages. There’s a psychological phenomenon where as people get older they exaggerate the good memories and forget the bad ones.

Nooooo))))
I am not talking about the sausages, where the rats could of/could not have fallen into the meat grinders; I am talking specifically about few things that were of top quality in the S.U. - sweets among them.
While a lot of quality products were gradually disappearing, starting from the 80ies/were going down in quality ( sausages first of all,) certain things remained the same (bread, ice-cream, candies) although the variety of them substantially diminished. ( I am talking specifically about situation in Moscow - it was different in other regions.)

So no, it's not exactly the "nostalgia" - it's the chemicals in today's products; bread and candies alike.

When it comes to things like this, I'd kill for the Soviet quality of those specific things ( and variety - particularly of the 70ies era,) no doubt.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:42 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My taste is pretty unpretentious too.
But when "Мишка косолапый" has to go to the garbage can - I'm sorry, enough is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
About 10 years ago me and the wife were in Gomel and I picked up a box of chocolates. The wife picked one out of the box and took a bite. She said they were crap. Never touched the rest.

Old Soviet candy brands are now of very low quality. The target category of buyers is retired. Candy is cheap and not tasty. I tried Belarusian Soviet sweets last summer. Belarusian producers have a shop at the Exhibition of Economic Achievements (VDNKH). It was delicious.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's like the frog in the slowly heating pot. Everything gets worse and it's so gradual you never notice.
I think that squirrels will be harvested from insect larvae in the near future. It is very cheap, satisfying and flavor enhancers will allow any taste to be brought to it.

I read a good joke about this.
An old man said: "in the 60s I read science fiction and heroes of books made food from chemistry. I admired and thought that I would not live to that happy time. Unfortunately, I lived".

Old 02-25-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Capitalism my a***, the "availability and variety" in Russia - enjoy))
Only old farts remember these Soviet times and regret Stalin.

Most people do not think about it. Here are cheap products of low quality and expensive products of good quality. Second products cost good money, not everyone can afford it.

But food is enough for everyone, and that's good.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Old Soviet candy brands are now of very low quality. The target category of buyers is retired. Candy is cheap and not tasty. I tried Belarusian Soviet sweets last summer. Belarusian producers have a shop at the Exhibition of Economic Achievements (VDNKH). It was delicious.
Does Belarus have its own VDNKh? Or you went to the one in Moscow.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Does Belarus have its own VDNKh? Or you went to the one in Moscow.
I was in Moscow. I walked with my family and we entered the Belarusian Pavilion. I live 40 minutes from VDNKh by car.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...of_Belarus.jpg

Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Thank you for the answer and well positioned photo. I've been to the station but never went inside. I used to live 4 stops away on the orange line...

Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:

What IS of HIGH quality then?
The reason I was asking for certain "Soviet brands" was because they were of certain standards.
When they've gone to hell, what is out there Russian-made that is of decent quality? (As far as candies/chocolates go?) The last Belorussian-made bar of chocolate I've received ("Spartacus?" not familiar with this brand) was crap as well.

Another thing - if you are saying that "target category of buyers" is retired, ( in Russia that is,) in Belorussia they are NOT "retired" then, since the quality of "Soviet sweets" is still good?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Only old farts remember these Soviet times and regret Stalin.

Most people do not think about it. Here are cheap products of low quality and expensive products of good quality. Second products cost good money, not everyone can afford it.

But food is enough for everyone, and that's good.

I didn't live in Stalin's times, so can't judge about food products of those days ( although I've heard they were excellent, since the recipes were still kept from Tzarist times.)

I am talking about what still has been left of it from the 70ies.
Or there is no more quality RUSSIAN sweets, but it's all "Alpenmilch," "Milka" - Nestle, Ferrero and so on ( with other words, coming from foreign corporations?)

THAT I am not interested in, since it's quite different and is available in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe