Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 05:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
How about the new Stalin comedy? Looks hilarious... too bad can't watch in Russia, would give Putin's subjects ideas that Stalin was fallible.
In Robert Forcysks books about WWII he goes into great detail about how the Soviets ultimately beat the German army. One aspect of that was Red Army operational arts, how the Soviets screwed up the simplest things which lead to utter disaster. He also got a lot of information FROM SOVIET ARCHIVES about some of the farces of Soviet planning and in those documents there were names.

Chuikov was a general in Stalingrad, he commanded the 68th army in the city. He once said that the only reason operation Saturn succeeded was because Zhukov was planning operation Mars which was an utter disaster. CHUIKOV SAID THIS PUBLICLY IN 1946. Zhukov was Stalins right hand man. Other generals such as Konev and Rybalko had special words for Stalin himself shortly after the war.

They were not murdered for speaking their minds.

I've never read all these documents but I get the impression criticism was slung in large quantities. It's one of those things that make you wonder about what is written in the past concerning history. On further investigation some things just don't ring true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 05:45 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know that to be true. Examples? Echomoskvee is highly critical of the Russian government and they still broadcast every day.

I do know in Amerian media saying or suggesting the wrong thing about Russia can cost you your career. Best just toe the line. I can't remeber the last time I read a story about something good or constructive concerning Russia. People who do are ignored, villified, mocked and on short notice, unemployed.
https://cpj.org/data/people/nikolai-...enko/index.php
Well the Independent Journalist: Anna Politkovskaya was murdered. She was considered one of Russia most influential journalists.

In addition there been several journalists that have been murdered last year in Russia who were anti Putin.

Dmitry Popkov, chief editor of the independent local newspaper Ton-M in Siberia, was murdered on May 24, 2017. :Popkov, 42, helped found Ton-M in 2014, and was known for his investigative reports alleging abuse of power and corruption, as well as his criticism of officials of the ruling United Russia party
https://cpj.org/data/people/dmitry-popkov/index.php

The other one is: Nikolai Andrushchenko, a veteran journalist known for his reporting on corruption and police brutality, died in a St. Petersburg hospital on April 19, 2017, of injuries sustained in a beating six weeks earlier. His murder was the first of a journalist in Russia since 2013, according to CPJ research.https://cpj.org/data/people/nikolai-...enko/index.php

Also can you explain why the Jehovah’s Witnesses are banned in Russia, and its members refuse to go to any war, but the Church of Satan is allowed in Russia?

Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Also even though Ekho Moskvy is a liberal media outlet, it is a very dangerous place to work and there been two attempted assassinations recently and the ones that were attacked fled Russia.

New York, September 11, 2017--Russian journalist Yulia Latynina, who writes a column for the independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta and hosts a weekly radio show on Ekho Moskvy, has fled Russia after a series of attacks, according to local and international reports.https://cpj.org/2017/09/independent-journalist-yulia-latynina-flees-russia.php

Here is another Journalist that have fled Russia after working for Independent media:

Ksenia Larina, a journalist working for the liberal-leaning Ekho Moskvy radio station, is fleeing Russia after her colleague was stabbed in the throat earlier this week.
Ksenia Larina, a journalist working for the liberal-leaning Ekho Moskvy radio station, is fleeing Russia after her colleague was stabbed in the throat earlier this week.

Ekho Moskvy radio host Tatyana Felgenhauer was attacked by a Russian-Israeli citizen, who is believed to have mental health issues, on Monday this week.

The attack followed a program on state television in which Felgenhauer was branded as a traitor who cooperated with Western NGOs. Many commentators have blamed the attack on a generally hostile atmosphere towards journalists who are critical of the Kremin
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/anot...s-russia-59401

Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Putler my butt! Want a real Nazi? Just look at that racist pig Aleksei NAZInyi! Anyone who thinks NAZInyi is a good guy is a friggin brainwashed moron! Simple as that!

Hope NAZInyi gets permanently exiled from Russia! No self-respecting Russian over the age of 25 (those old enough to have living memories of the 1990s - days the NATO West no doubt wish would return when it comes to all things Russia) will vote for him knowing he's gonna be a throwback to the bad old days of the 1990s if he gets his way!

Anyone got a problem with my criticising of political figures in Russia that the West likes? Deal with it and talk to the hand as NO amount of propaganda and fake news from the Western establishment will change my mind on this!
And what exactly is the Western establishment? The West has a lot of problems, but it still has the greatest level of transparency in the world, regardless of how bad it is.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Other99.

I think this article says a hell of a lot.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/...latynina-59010

It's hard to be a journalist over there. Russias not the only place either, how many have been killed in the Ukraine? 12? Somebody doesn't like what someone has to say then somebody may go after them. What do you do? I suspect there are people in government behind it and it's not all just a bunch of nutters.

Is this something that can even be solved?

And as for the Jehovah Witnesses in was the expressed wish of the Russian people from what I understand. Who likes them anyway? Devil Worship is not condoned by any institution that matters in Russia. I don't even know that it exists there, at least I have never seen it. I mean they're pretty uptight about religion so when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Other99.

I think this article says a hell of a lot.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/...latynina-59010

It's hard to be a journalist over there. Russias not the only place either, how many have been killed in the Ukraine? 12? Somebody doesn't like what someone has to say then somebody may go after them. What do you do? I suspect there are people in government behind it and it's not all just a bunch of nutters.

Is this something that can even be solved?

And as for the Jehovah Witnesses in was the expressed wish of the Russian people from what I understand. Who likes them anyway? Devil Worship is not condoned by any institution that matters in Russia. I don't even know that it exists there, at least I have never seen it. I mean they're pretty uptight about religion so when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Ukraine is in a state of WAr.

Well the Russian government has as much reasons to dislike the Jehovia Witnesses as the Nazis. The Nazis after all sent them to concentration camps and at least a 1/4 of them died. After all they refuse to salute the flag and go to war and fight for for the country. Well authoritarian regimes like Russia strongly dislike small religious sects, as they go against the worldview of what the authoritarian government gives its citizens.

If the Jehovia Witnesses are banned, then any religious or secular organisation can be banned by the government and the result is no turning back.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Everything is a distraction to keep the Russian masses from seeing a benefit in accountable government. From Syria to Ukraine to blaming Russia's own problems on external made up enemies...

Pointing out corruption in Russia gets you either killed, forced to flee or at best, brought up on contrived criminal charges. When an external state points it out, they get labeled the enemy and the corrupt activity brought up is dismissed as an attack on Russia. Or more perversely, an equivalence is attempted pretending that the US government also does things like kill journalists and bribe oligarchs. From Magnitsky, to Sochi to Putin's friends becoming oligarchs through fleecing the state.

Russia should be very wealthy with its resources and educated people and instead it survives somewhere in the range of a upper middle African standard of living. How to handle this gap? Don't let people travel to the west, put on TV shows about how bad life is in democracies, convince people that the 90's is what would happen if democracy occurred and make up fake accomplishments on TV (yay victory over America in Syria!) sounds like now and sounds like 50 years ago.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times
Quote:
How about the new Stalin comedy? Looks hilarious... too bad can't watch in Russia, would give Putin's subjects ideas that Stalin was fallible.
Stalin was the product of his time. He did what he could. He was able to save the country, he won in the Great War. I doubt that he could have achieved this by other means at the time.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Lol, no Russian over age 25 will vote for Navalny because Putin decides who is allowed to compete with him in the election.

I love the reference to the 90s btw. Thank God for Putin who will always protect Russians from the 90's!
What do you know about the Russian 90s?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Not only that it has banned the Jehovah witnesses. Well as much as I don't agree with Jehovah Witnesses, I still think they should be free to practice their faith. They are harmless and no big threat to society. They renounce violence and are very anti war, as they refuse to fight in any wars.
Russia is a country where Christians and Muslims live peacefully for centuries. Do you want to teach Russians what to do with religion? It's none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe