Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Largely is a metropolitan legend and a convenient excuse for some sectors of the black community for not cleaning up their neighborhoods.....there is the occasional bad apple racist cop?? Definitely yes.....there are racists everywhere, including Canada.

You ignore the 800 pounds gorilla in the room......in some "hot areas", accidents can happen because some cops fear for their lives and that can make them trigger happy or prone to make mistakes....should we condone them?? No obviously but it has nothing to do with skin color.

It is a human nature.

The state of mind of a police officer stopping a normal black person for a traffic violation on a normal working class suburban area is going to be very different compared to stopping a car blasting rap music "f...the police" with guys (black or white) tattooed from head to toe, gold chains, etc... with a confrontational attitude in a "war zone"....again is human nature.

The inconvenient truth, crime statistics.....

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...s-commit-crime

Blacks represent 13-14% of the population and commit 52% of murders.

93% of black victims are killed by blacks, 84% of white victims are killed by whites

I can guarantee that none of my black friends would be killed accidentally by the Police.
The problem though, is that there are far too many trigger happy cops around. Last year an Aussie women was killed in Minneapolis when she called in cops to come in and investigate a near by incident. The cop mistakenly shot her without warning. There was a huge uproar about it in AU, that even Turnbull demanded an accounting.

I'm well aware of the fact that blacks account for a large number of crimes in the country and of "black on black" issues being prevalent. Have you ever asked yourself why blacks are the most marginalized group in America? A lot of the problems they face are residues of the civil Rights movement of the 60's. Of course, there are also a number of them who play the victim card all the time so in many ways it's a two sided problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:48 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

OK Russian hacker, but can you find the "race" topic in your "20 seconds"?

( Because it's definitely there..)

Old 01-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think it's important to collect data on how many people are in each ethnic/racial group.
But WHY Grega?
Isn't it a "new American nation?" If it is, then everyone is just an "American, so what's the need for *racial identification"?

Quote:
It helps you understand who the minority groups are, how many there are, and if they are being properly represented.
Represented WHERE?
And why ( yet again) it matters? If everyone is "equal," no?

Quote:
Also with this data we can project that very soon the US will become a minority majority country, meaning that no racial/ethnic group will be a majority. I think such data is important.
Oh but will they stop keep tracking different races then?

Quote:
Also doesn't Russia collect such data too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Russia
Oh I'm sure Russia does and always did - be that Russian empire or USSR alike.
The tricky part however is - Russia is a part of the "old world" and it always adhered to the old ideas of the"different ethnicities" and "different cultures," not to mention that it acquired all these people with their own lands. So Russians never claimed that "everyone is the same," - they were well-aware that part of the people they acquired as colonies didn't even have their own written language. However the way they approached the whole thing - while understanding their difference, Russians provided people of different ethnic background with possibilities to take the next step and join the "mainstream." But since these people had their own native lands, the choice ( and the degree of their assimilation) was left more or less up to them. Russians never refused of the idea of "different ethnicities" but as I've said, since everyone still had the land of their ancestors, it didn't end up with ghettos or reservations, as it's a case with the US, that claimed to build a "new nation" on a "new land."

Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Largely is a metropolitan legend and a convenient excuse for some sectors of the black community for not cleaning up their neighborhoods.....there is the occasional bad apple racist cop?? Definitely yes.....there are racists everywhere, including Canada.

You ignore the 800 pounds gorilla in the room......in some "hot areas", accidents can happen because some cops fear for their lives and that can make them trigger happy or prone to make mistakes....should we condone them?? No obviously but it has nothing to do with skin color.
Of course it does. Since a lot of shootouts happen in Black neighborhoods, cops are more prone to suspect that Blacks they encounter are armed. And yes, they fear for their own lives and that's why sometimes they pull the trigger when they shouldn't.

Quote:
It is a human nature.

The state of mind of a police officer stopping a normal black person for a traffic violation on a normal working class suburban area is going to be very different compared to stopping a car blasting rap music "f...the police" with guys (black or white) tattooed from head to toe, gold chains, etc... with a confrontational attitude in a "war zone"....again is human nature.
The last I saw, they murdered some black guy for faulty tail light or something, during the "traffic violation," in the "normal neighborhood," with a woman and a child in a car.
So no, it's more complex than just "gold chains and "blasting rap music."

Quote:
The inconvenient truth, crime statistics.....

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...s-commit-crime

Blacks represent 13-14% of the population and commit 52% of murders.

93% of black victims are killed by blacks, 84% of white victims are killed by whites
All true.
The question still is, what the Black crime statistic would be, if the Blacks wouldn't be treated as "step-children" in this "New Nation."
That's what I wonder sometimes.

Quote:
I can guarantee that none of my black friends would be killed accidentally by the Police.
No you can't - it's that simple.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But WHY Grega?
Isn't it a "new American nation?" If it is, then everyone is just an "American, so what's the need for *racial identification"?

Represented WHERE?
And why ( yet again) it matters? If everyone is "equal," no?

Oh but will they stop keep tracking different races then?

Oh I'm sure Russia does and always did - be that Russian empire or USSR alike.
The tricky part however is - Russia is a part of the "old world" and it always adhered to the old ideas of the"different ethnicities" and "different cultures," not to mention that it acquired all these people with their own lands. So Russians never claimed that "everyone is the same," - they were well-aware that part of the people they acquired as colonies didn't even have their own written language. However the way they approached the whole thing - while understanding their difference, Russians provided people of different ethnic background with possibilities to take the next step and join the "mainstream." But since these people had their own native lands, the choice ( and the degree of their assimilation) was left more or less up to them. Russians never refused of the idea of "different ethnicities" but as I've said, since everyone still had the land of their ancestors, it didn't end up with ghettos or reservations, as it's a case with the US, that claimed to build a "new nation" on a "new land."
Without this data we wouldn’t even know that blacks are proportionaly more likely to go to jail, or that they make the least amount of money. Data is data, it’s only racist if you make it racist. Also not all blacks are marginalized, Africans especially Nigerians are one of the most successful ethnic groups around and that’s because they have strong work ethic, family values, and haven’t fallen into the victim hood trap. Not all blacks have this attitude, but there are to many that do. Also I feel like Russia kinda has this victim hood attitude too. People/nations who have this attitude tend to be uncessefull. Also shouldn’t the US keep track of it’s own natives too, make sure they are not going extinct. And if it’s ok to keep track of them, why not other groups? Also there is an option to identify as just “American” which many people do that, but way more people prefer to identify with their ethnic/racial group because they have pride in it.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The problem though, is that there are far too many trigger happy cops around. Last year an Aussie women was killed in Minneapolis when she called in cops to come in and investigate a near by incident. The cop mistakenly shot her without warning. There was a huge uproar about it in AU, that even Turnbull demanded an accounting.

Ohh I agree 150% about the 'happy trigger cop' issue and it is a serious issue that requires the effort of everybody involved...Police departments must do a much better job as screening candidates (and punish those officers unfit for the job swiftly and harshly), communities have to do their part in getting crime under control.....finally, there is a cultural aspects that need to be addressed.

But all of this has nothing to do with racism.

Quote:
Have you ever asked yourself why blacks are the most marginalized group in America? A lot of the problems they face are residues of the civil Rights movement of the 60's. Of course, there are also a number of them who play the victim card all the time so in many ways it's a two sided problem.

Quote:
The question still is, what the Black crime statistic would be, if the Blacks wouldn't be treated as "step-children" in this "New Nation."
That's what I wonder sometimes.

Please, give me a break....we are in the 21st century.....we just had a black president that as some point in his life was on food stamps and raised by a single mother....quit the excuses.....I would love for you to hear what my black friends and acquaintances think of the "ghetto culture" but be prepared to plug you ears because they are not pretty words (among them there is a dentist raised by a single mother, the other is a judge with very poor upbringing)
In today America there are no excuses for a poor black person to choose a life of crime...at all....there are a lot of opportunities to improve your own life.

The only serious issue that needs to be addressed is more standardized national school curricula....school vouchers do help and some actually straight thinking, intelligent liberals do agree.

Let me point to this timeless Chris Rock classic from the mid 1996.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

The last I saw, they murdered some black guy for faulty tail light or something, during the "traffic violation," in the "normal neighborhood," with a woman and a child in a car.
So no, it's more complex than just "gold chains and "blasting rap music."

The story you are referring too I believe is a bit more complex than just a broken taillight....that does not imply that this person death should be justified at all but, if i recall correctly, the guy was confrontational...not exactly cooperative...again, regardless, the officer that pull the trigger need to be taken off the street.

Quote:
No you can't - it's that simple.
[/quote]

Let's me put it in this way....the black people I'm referring to, they have no more chances to be accidentally shot by the police than I do (I'm white)

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-09-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I disagree. There's too many idiots around. When a guy in a uniform with a badge and a gun tells you to do something, you do it. Seems to me cops get to mix with the bad side of society daily.

Here. Some good advice. It doesn't just apply to black people, idiots come in all colors. Me myself am not an exception. The one and only time I've been in jail was when I was drinking with friends in Athens. I thought it would be a great idea to moon a squad of pissed off riot police. It didn't work out so well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Be smart people.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I disagree. There's too many idiots around. When a guy in a uniform with a badge and a gun tells you to do something, you do it. Seems to me cops get to mix with the bad side of society daily.

Here. Some good advice. It doesn't just apply to black people, idiots come in all colors. Me myself am not an exception. The one and only time I've been in jail was when I was drinking with friends in Athens. I thought it would be a great idea to moon a squad of pissed off riot police. It didn't work out so well.

Be smart people.
You're not wrong with your general assessment as there are far too many people who play around loosely with the law and think they can get away with vandalism. Those people need to be punished.
However, the example I provided doesn't meet that criteria as the woman who got shot was the one who called the cops. The untrained cop, just shot her mistakenly without giving so much as a warning.

Justine Damond: Police union boss defends officer who killed Australian woman - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Without this data we wouldn’t even know that blacks are proportionaly more likely to go to jail, or that they make the least amount of money.
By now we know. And?

Quote:
Data is data, it’s only racist if you make it racist.
Right - data is data, you can't make it "racist," but racist people can use it the way they like.

Quote:
Also not all blacks are marginalized, Africans especially Nigerians are one of the most successful ethnic groups around and that’s because they have strong work ethic, family values, and haven’t fallen into the victim hood trap.
They haven't, because when it comes to Africans, the "successful part" of this "ethnic group" arrives already with worthy education and practice somewhere in Europe.

Quote:
Not all blacks have this attitude, but there are to many that do. Also I feel like Russia kinda has this victim hood attitude too.
And for a good reason. A lot of dirty deals are made behind their backs, so they often DO end up as victims of their own government.

Quote:
People/nations who have this attitude tend to be uncessefull.
It's the other way around actually, no matter what American propaganda would like to make you believe.

Quote:
Also shouldn’t the US keep track of it’s own natives too, make sure they are not going extinct.
They went extinct long time ago. Two cultures were simply incompatible. Those living now in reservations is a poor excuse, an attempt to make "the newcomers" to feel better about themselves.

Quote:
And if it’s ok to keep track of them, why not other groups?
Because America was supposed to build a "new nation." American nation, where everyone left the "old ideas" of the Old World, and started everything anew. But did they really?

Quote:
Also there is an option to identify as just “American” which many people do that, but way more people prefer to identify with their ethnic/racial group because they have pride in it.
There is no such option in questionnaires, that specifically ask about racial group.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ohh I agree 150% about the 'happy trigger cop' issue and it is a serious issue that requires the effort of everybody involved...Police departments must do a much better job as screening candidates (and punish those officers unfit for the job swiftly and harshly), communities have to do their part in getting crime under control.....finally, there is a cultural aspects that need to be addressed.

But all of this has nothing to do with racism.
Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.

Quote:
Please, give me a break....we are in the 21st century.....we just had a black president that as some point in his life was on food stamps and raised by a single mother....quit the excuses.....
Truth to be told, this "black president" was born of a white mother that was well educated from what I remember, that's why "being on food stamps" didn't mean much in this case.

Quote:
I would love for you to hear what my black friends and acquaintances think of the "ghetto culture" but be prepared to plug you ears because they are not pretty words (among them there is a dentist raised by a single mother, the other is a judge with very poor upbringing)
In today America there are no excuses for a poor black person to choose a life of crime...at all....there are a lot of opportunities to improve your own life.

The only serious issue that needs to be addressed is more standardized national school curricula....school vouchers do help and some actually straight thinking, intelligent liberals do agree.

Let me point to this timeless Chris Rock classic from the mid 1996.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4
Oh I am aware of the whole "Chris Rock" and the "******s" mantra. And how, according to this mantra, all American Blacks should mysteriously turn into "Blacks with class" somehow.
It doesn't work this way in the real world though. Every ethnic group has its own "intelligentsia" and "simple folks" group, with a layer in-between. Now WHITE America has sorted out its own bottom group and gave it social lifts, to move up anyone who was remotely "movable" twenty-thirty years ago. So with other words WHITE America worked with its own, while Blacks basically remained in the ghetto dumpsters, where everyone ended up - the bright and not so much alike. It would take TOO MUCH MONEY to channel into Black communities, in order to sort them out. No one is going to do that, particularly that the whole educational system, (the secondary schools first of all,) the way they are organized today, are not functional for Blacks.

Quote:
The story you are referring too I believe is a bit more complex than just a broken taillight....that does not imply that this person death should be justified at all but, if i recall correctly, the guy was confrontational...not exactly cooperative...again, regardless, the officer that pull the trigger need to be taken off the street.
You are not looking into details, are you? See, you ALREADY have preconceived notion that the "guy was confrontational."
In fact he wasn't. The only fatal mistake he made, was to inform the officer that stopped him, that he HAD A GUN on him. That officer immediately had a preconceived notion of a "Black man with a gun" who is going to kill him, and started shooting. Honestly, I think that had it been your regular White cop with cooler head, none of this would have happened. Because when you are on duty and someone notifies you in a calm manner that "Sir, I have a gun on me," the cooler head would figure out the next move - i.e. "Do you have a permit to carry?" Which in fact was a case - the person in question DID have a permit. However a coward in police uniform that couldn't control his fear, simply started shooting.
And there you have it - the innocent man is killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...ilando_Castile

Quote:
Let's me put it in this way....the black people I'm referring to, they have no more chances to be accidentally shot by the police than I do (I'm white)
You are THAT sure?

Look at the case above, and think twice.

Last edited by erasure; 01-11-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe