Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 05:50 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know Erasure. Here in America it's right out in the open more often than not glaringly obvious. Look at this. 3.5 BILLION a mile!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/n...ion-costs.html

Can you freaking believe it?

I know about the Seattle tunnel project. I know why the most expensive option was okayed against the will of the people. The waterfront property owners are well connected in Olympia and in Seattle/King County government. They stand to make enormous profits when the waterfront is fully developed. People here know it but the citizens are simply ignored. Look at the Washington state ferry system. It's a huge parasite on our budget. Scams abound in the organization all across the board and no one can do anything about it.

People call Russia corrupt and I just shake my head. Corruption here is actually an accepted and tolerated institution. There's no shame here or over there in Russia. Why do we even make it an issue if this is the way we are? If Russia starts offing corrupt officials what will replace them?

I think this is endemic to bereaucratic systems. I think it can be minimized but never stamped out.

"The budget showed that 900 workers were being paid to dig caverns for the platforms as part of a 3.5-mile tunnel connecting the historic station to the Long Island Rail Road. But the accountant could only identify about 700 jobs that needed to be done, according to three project supervisors. Officials could not find any reason for the other 200 people to be there.

“Nobody knew what those people were doing, if they were doing anything,” said Michael Horodniceanu, who was then the head of construction at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs transit in New York. The workers were laid off, Mr. Horodniceanu said, but no one figured out how long they had been employed. “All we knew is they were each being paid about $1,000 every day.” "

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/n...ion-costs.html

Well since the "successful economic model" has been sold to Russians by American economists, that's where "New Russians" learned their tricks. ( And this particular excerpt from the article, the situation it describes is very close "business Russian style" and what it does.
One might say that "it's all the corrupt Unions and the government's fault" ( I am talking about the US now,) and if "private business would be in charge, you wouldn't see such waste and corruption," but on another hand, if you remove Unions and government out of the picture, who is there to stop "private business" from cut throat policies, where all the money will go to the rich, while the rest will be left with pennies?
So when I look at Russia, I know more or less what needs to be done there to fix the situation, but when I am looking at the US, as I've already said the whole situation is much more complex ( since this country has been addicted to cheap labor for so long, the consequences of it are unfixable if you ask me. Unless of course the US will turn to "communism Soviet style" lol)))
This is just an example I was talking about)) -

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...births-21.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:16 PM

In other latest news...

The new presidential candidate, Pavel Grudinin is spending his New Year holidays somewhere in Germany.
Which brought the fury of the "Russian patriots."
"Even Medvedev" they say "is going to spent his vacations in Sochi. Not to mention Putin."

I am personally not surprised.
Grudinin is the kind of Russians that should be welcomed in Europe, unlike corrupt to the core current Russian oligarchy.
No slimy deals, no "offshore" crap - everything is transparent and straightforward.
He is friendly to the West, ( Scandinavian model of economy is his idea of what good economy should be,) but he has his own dignity and wants to live well ( along with his compatriots) in his own land, NOT in London's mansions.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 PM

P.S. Happy New Year everyone)))

Old 01-01-2018, 09:56 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. Happy New Year everyone)))
Happy New Year to everyone here as well. We can have another one in two weeks when the Julian calendar reaches Jan 1st.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
In other latest news...

The new presidential candidate, Pavel Grudinin is spending his New Year holidays somewhere in Germany.
"Even Medvedev" they say "is going to spent his vacations in Sochi. Not to mention Putin."

Grudinin is the kind of Russians that should be welcomed in Europe, unlike corrupt to the core current Russian oligarchy.
No slimy deals, no "offshore" crap - everything is transparent and straightforward.
He is friendly to the West, ( Scandinavian model of economy is his idea of what good economy should be,) but he has his own dignity and wants to live well ( along with his compatriots) in his own land, NOT in London's mansions.
Pavel is not a government official so his job doesn't tie him to spending his time in Russia?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
In other latest news...

Well the Russian Patriots are the people who he needs to win in this. This is his first bad move. Keep in mind we know little about him at the same time. We don't know what deals he has now or in the works. Everybody has their price.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Pavel is not a government official so his job doesn't tie him to spending his time in Russia?
No he is not, but he is at the beginning of his presidential campaign, so the question is - how wise was this move ( even though he said that this trip was planned and organized by his friends long before he was nominated to run in presidential race.)

Last edited by erasure; 01-02-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Well the Russian Patriots are the people who he needs to win in this. This is his first bad move. Keep in mind we know little about him at the same time. We don't know what deals he has now or in the works. Everybody has their price.
Well let me tell you what I see so far.
The usual "pro-Putin" crowd is literally screaming "bloody murder" and all kind of lies and slander against him is thrown out there - they hate him THAT much. So that's one type of the "Russian Patriots," and he is definitely not going to win these ones. ( They are the ones in particular that gloat regarding this German trip.)
The second type of "Russian patriots" is Strelkov's crowd ( these are nostalgic for the times of Russian monarchy, so I don't think Grudinin is going to be particularly popular among them either, but part of them might accept him after all.)
Yet another part of Russian Patriots are downright NATIONALISTS and they won't like him most likely.
The next segment of "Russian patriots" are downright nostalgic for the USSR times, and these ones might accept him with some reservations.
But interestingly enough, where he might actually score, is the Russian middle class. This class is weary of "communists" and "left," remembering restrictions and anti-western propaganda, and his private trip to Germany signals them that he is none of that
So yes, Russian sites are full of heated discussions about him now, which leaves me yet again with question - what happened here? Why was he allowed to participate in this REAL competition? ( Real - because he is going to be allowed to have his time on TV from what I understand - and TV is the ultimate way to be exposed to as many potential voters as possible.) Did Putin underestimate him? Or is he THAT sure in his own popularity? Does he want his own way out may be?
So things are quiet perplexing here.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times
Quote:
Well let me tell you what I see so far.
The usual "pro-Putin" crowd is literally screaming "bloody murder" and all kind of lies and slander against him is thrown out there - they hate him THAT much. So that's one type of the "Russian Patriots," and he is definitely not going to win these ones. ( They are the ones in particular that gloat regarding this German trip.)
The second type of "Russian patriots" is Strelkov's crowd ( these are nostalgic for the times of Russian monarchy, so I don't think Grudinin is going to be particularly popular among them either, but part of them might accept him after all.)
Yet another part of Russian Patriots are downright NATIONALISTS and they won't like him most likely.
The next segment of "Russian patriots" are downright nostalgic for the USSR times, and these ones might accept him with some reservations.
But interestingly enough, where he might actually score, is the Russian middle class. This class is weary of "communists" and "left," remembering restrictions and anti-western propaganda, and his private trip to Germany signals them that he is none of that
So yes, Russian sites are full of heated discussions about him now, which leaves me yet again with question - what happened here? Why was he allowed to participate in this REAL competition? ( Real - because he is going to be allowed to have his time on TV from what I understand - and TV is the ultimate way to be exposed to as many potential voters as possible.) Did Putin underestimate him? Or is he THAT sure in his own popularity? Does he want his own way out may be?
So things are quiet perplexing here.
It seems to me that you are arguing on the basis of "trolling bots" on the Internet, at least in many cases.The reality is quite different.Everything you mentioned the patriots,it's a very ,very thin layer,which practically solves nothing, and can only sometimes sozdavat content for the media. All.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
It seems to me that you are arguing on the basis of "trolling bots" on the Internet, at least in many cases.The reality is quite different.Everything you mentioned the patriots,it's a very ,very thin layer,which practically solves nothing, and can only sometimes sozdavat content for the media. All.
I don't understand what you are saying, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe