Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 11:00 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
32 clean athletes were not allowed to enter the Olympiad. Disgrace to the Olympic movement.
They weren't clean. The evidence (urine samples) was destroyed by the ironically named Russian Anti-Doping Agency. Get over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
I like the guy - what he is saying. I hoped that he could guide Russia into agriculture and Norwegian type of government (minus the king/tzar).
Something like a country (Norway, Sweden, Finland) that "maintains a combination of market economy and a Nordic welfare model with universal health care and a comprehensive social security system" wiki
What he ( and those behind him) are offering, is the kind of system that should have replaced the Soviet Union in the first place, instead of the "successful thuggery" model that was imposed on Russia back in the 90ies.
(But I am afraid that it's a bit too late for it now...)

Quote:
OTOH though I like what he is saying it is hard for me to believe that he paid debts (billions of rubles still a lot of $$$) and built his kolhoz and all those buildings cultivating strawberries and maintaining dairy farm. For example, it is not that easy to run a successful farm of this size here in US.
Oh no, don't forget that his sovkhoz is situated near Moscow, where the land is very expensive, so they lease part of it for something, and then they do some other stuff ( since it's a business, not just your old typical kolhoz)) - I don't remember all the details, but he ( Grudinin) talked about it - everything they do on their property. (I know that CPRF was keeping an eye on his business already for quite some time; in fact it's been shown on the first channel few years ago, with Putin himself ( from what I remember) praising it. Not only that - the idiots from the "United Russia" used the picture of Grudinin's kindergarten for their own campaign lately))) )
So no, it is what it is - the guy is decent, and he runs a very successful enterprise. Successful for him and people that work for him. I mean a lot of unrelated people visited his "sovkhoz" and attested to that.

Quote:
Another thing is on his earlier videos he had a strange body language - like scratching his ears, nose, head as if he is uncomfortable or/ and not telling the whole truth. It made me think that he himself is "cultivated".
Lol no, you don't read his "body language" correctly. Grudinin is an "f," not the "t" type ( i.e. if you are familiar with Yungian psychology, his primary function is "feeling," not "thinking".) So people like him make sure that what they are saying FEELS RIGHT to them, that they find the exact words to convey their thoughts, and that's where all this fidgeting comes from. ( I often do the same during public speeches by the way, now when I think about it... )
Now if the "t" people start fidgeting during their speeches, then your perception would be correct.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%! And, surprisingly you are the first American who thinks so...
My father himself (who became invalid at 18 years old in 1942 right before Stalingrad) told me about things Russian army were receiving from all over the world - knitted wool sweaters, hats, mittens, scarfs, egg powder, spam (that mainly went to officers), trucks. Of course it was a big help and support! And so is bombing - kept Hitler (and Mussolini and Japanese) busy in all directions.

Britain - really, was the only country in Europe, apart from Russia of course that was bleeding and still fighting Germans all the way through WWII.
The rest about 40 ? or so countries (but 8 were actually made it to be neutral) conveniently declared themselves neutral. But, were they really - i.e. Sweden, Norway, Finland?
Sweden: " During the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Sweden allowed the Wehrmacht to use Swedish railways to transport (June–July 1941) the German 163rd Infantry Division along with howitzers, tanks and anti-aircraft weapons and associated ammunition from Norway to Finland. German soldiers traveling on leave between Norway and Germany were allowed passage through Sweden — the so-called permittenttrafik. Iron ore was sold to Germany throughout the war." wiki).

Neutral while their neighbors - people in Leningrad
were starving to death literally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad
They say that the only people that survived after the Leningrad siege were those that ate corpses...
I understand that for Finland it was "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but still how can they watch (while helping Germans) this beautiful city slowly dying during those 2 years 4 months and 5 days of Leningrad siege?

Of course, after the Stalingrad battle - the turning point in WWII people everywhere in the world started to believe in themselves and that Germans can be beat. Resistance, partisans groups, armies were formed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandie-Niemen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish...es_in_the_West
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_..._in_Yugoslavia
and Canadians, Australians, even people from New Zealand - everybody fought.
The biggest looser was Germany and its people.
I met two German guys this past Christmas. I tried to stay away from WWII politics, but very uncomfortable conversations ended up there anyway.
It is eternal guilt they have to carry because of that war.
Any educated American knows the Russian contribution to ww2. We Americans and the Russians have attitudes towards each other colored by the Cold War but 73 years ago we were partners in crushing the Nazi/imperial Japanese threat. Any one who knows anything about the eastern front, Leningrad or the battle of Stalingrad respects the Red Army, Russian War effort and Russian sacrifice. The USAs great contribution to the war was more about our technological prowess and industrial might than it was about actual battlefield superiority. Our war was won in Detroit factories, from 30000 feet up in a Flying Fortress and eventually in the hot white flash of a nuclear bomb. Russias victory was more about grit and determination and the sacrifice of the blood of millions of its people. Believe it or not most Americans do know all this and Americans respect Russia for thier conduct in WW2, part of the reason why we took the Soviet threat very seriously. If Americans and Russians revisited this history and celebrated what we accomplished together then maybe we could get over the 70 years of stupid that hangs over relations between our two nations.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Irrelevant. Max has the same views of a vast majority of Russians. Russias a country where one person with a pet service peacock can not stop a plane on the tarmac. Popular consensus and common sense seem to hold much greater sway there than in the west. ***** Riot wasn't worth listening to, it was just a stage prop in the propaganda war and they offended people with their little stunts. Russia isn't America or Canada, they do things their way and if the PC crowd here doesn't like it then tough.

I can see why the Russians prefer Putin. Erasure makes great points about the 1990s, the chaos of it. I know Russias history and I know the pain that was brought on the people by outside powers. Russians will always tolerate a strong leader who brings stability as opposed to a weak and pathetic leader (Yeltsin) that allows chaos to reign far and wide. The wests offerings to date such as Navalny don't get the eye of the people because they aren't capable.

Leave the Russians alone, work with them and they'll solve their own problems as they see fit. In the not too distant future someone else will take the reigns and they may change the way they do things but they will not be forced.

I've been hearing western voices telling Russians what Russian people can and can't do for decades. Max and the Russian people can make whatever choice they like. If they're poor and desperate or rich and high on the hog 20 years from now they'll have no one but themselves to blame then. In the end it should and will be their decision. Deal with it.
If that's the case then why are they do afraid of people of opposition to Putin. You may think that I'm being harsh here, but I'm actually trying to help the Russians. If Putin is do confident that he has the backing of the majority then he should stop demonizing that opposition.

What does PC have anything to do with this?

Even I can see why many Russians would prefer someone like Putin at the helm, but here's the problem: many politicians rise to power by making promises and then decide to grab on to power when they get the chance. Giving a president too much power is never a good thing.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Putin has such a high popularity rate at 83%, and it largely unheard of any political leader getting that high in my country, and some political leaders I thought were good. 83% even in the US for a President is unheard of either. John Kennedy approval was 70% approval through out his presidency, and that is the highest approval for any Post war president. Even the WW2 US president Roosevelt would never have gotten such high approval as well, and the election wins for him were not all great compared to Putin. I guess Putin must be doing a much better job for Russians than any American president has ever done to Americans in the last 100 years.
All these countries are not under the EXTERNAL threat politically-speaking, are they?
I mean no other major powers are meddling in their internal affairs, no one is coveting their natural resources?
Because THIS is what makes a huge difference, when it comes to internal politics/popularity. If the condition of external threat is non-existent, then internal politics are more relaxed. But if Russians don't feel secure enough, then chances are they'll be voting for the most part for a leader, who they feel will protect them from external threats.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Grac View Post
Hello! I live in Russia. I am ready to answer all your questions and at the same time to correct my English. Can talk on any topics about Russia, and I think that some of it will be interesting. Ask questions :
Where do you guys store your Russian bots?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's all good on paper, but when one side holds such a strong grip on power, it opens the door to abuse. What's to say that most of the opposition hadn't been framed by Putin in order to make them look back and portray himself as the defender of Russian values.
Of course there is abuse of power in Russia, but it didn't start with Putin.
It started with America's darling Yeltsin, but it was not a big deal BACK THEN, now was it?

Quote:
He likely learned about it from his stint with the KGB, or any other Russian figure. It's not like the country doesn't have a huge historical pool to choose from.

I don't necessarily believe in the Trump allegations either and I'm saying that as someone who disliked him. Even I can see why he held such appeal to certain segments of the population.
No-no.
The KGB was buying spies and scientists; buying political influence and politicians - that's American thing.

And that's where Putin is learning all his tricks)))

Quote:
All of those countries work together. Need I remind you that both France and Germany have attacked Russia in the past.
Attacking out in the open is one thing.
Plotting to take over by financial means is the other.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 PM

403 posts, read 221,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Lol no, you don't read his "body language" correctly. Grudinin is an "f," not the "t" type ( i.e. if you are familiar with Yungian psychology, his primary function is "feeling," not "thinking".) So people like him make sure that what they are saying FEELS RIGHT to them, that they find the exact words to convey their thoughts, and that's where all this fidgeting comes from. ( I often do the same during public speeches by the way, now when I think about it... )
Now if the "t" people start fidgeting during their speeches, then your perception would be correct.
It is not that simple with Jung's personalities types, which are now up to 32?
One just cannot label people or judge by appearance.
I took Jung's test just for a hell of it. The result is INTJ. First two are right, third debatable, fourth plain wrong.
I worked on introvert from teenage years. If you do not know me closely, you would think I am a party animal...I hate small talk, but, I can talk your ears off at a party - have about 10 different themes ready (apart from the weather)...I am very emotional, but, I learned to control and never show them - rather F type? Because I am not a Thinker.
Our unconscious mind betray us though through our body language. But, of course all this theories can go wrong.
In one of Conan Doyle's stories one woman was extremely nervous and was " fidgeting" during interrogation and became a suspect. To make a long story short - she forgot to powder her nose and was sitting near the lamp worrying that bright light might show it...
Back to Grudinin - my understanding is that he was in public light for some time - so he should not be "fidgeting"? To me it was a sign of weakness right from the first video.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM

403 posts, read 221,431 times
Quote:
It is not that simple with Jung's personalities types, which are now up to 32?
One just cannot label people or judge by appearance.
I took Jung's test just for a hell of it. The result is INTJ. First two are right, third debatable, fourth plain wrong.
I worked on introvert from teenage years. If you do not know me closely, you would think I am a party animal...I hate small talk, but, I can talk your ears off at a party - have about 10 different themes ready (apart from the weather)...I am very emotional, but, I learned to control and never show them - rather F type? Because I am not a Thinker.
Our unconscious mind betray us though through our body language. But, of course all this theories can go wrong.
In one of Conan Doyle's stories one woman was extremely nervous and was " fidgeting" during interrogation and became a suspect. To make a long story short - she forgot to powder her nose and was sitting near the lamp worrying that bright light might show it...
Back to Grudinin - my understanding is that he was in public light for some time - so he should not be "fidgeting"? To me it was a sign of weakness right from the first video.
I mean subconscious

Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad
They say that the only people that survived after the Leningrad siege were those that ate corpses...
I understand that for Finland it was "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but still how can they watch (while helping Germans) this beautiful city slowly dying during those 2 years 4 months and 5 days of Leningrad siege?
What did you expect us to do? Say nicely to Hitler that don't starve this city? Not that we really did care that much. Easier to do just nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe