Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times

Advertisements

Russians are quite aware of what is going on. They prefer to be standing on their feet instead of on their knees as so many others do. It pisses off the warmongers of the west to no end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Yes, it's hard to tell truth from fiction but if you dig enough you'll find patterns, little needles in haystacks that after time can be put together to come to a conclusion not far from reality. You being an engineer should understand this ffs.
There's different ways to look at things too. There's cause and effect, action and reaction. Example. I do not think the EU, Russia or the US is ULTIMATELY at fault here. The government of Ukraine is. The goverment of Ukraine has allowed this to happen. Were the government doing its job Ukraine would be a strong independant bridge between Russia and the west, not the ***** of one or the other.

There are shades of grey, when you widen your perspective for a broader view you find that there is black and white involved in what is unfolding in front of you.
That's the thing with politics and history, everyone writes about it to defend their viewpoint. One thing I'll say that I definitely agree with it is that countries should be held accountable of their own internal affairs. I've spent enough time in developing countries to know that most of their problems are internal in nature, rather than being the product of foreign intervention.

Take the Middle East for example, while many do blame western powers for interference, upon closer inspection one notices that they bottleneck themselves through their own policies. By limiting the role women play in society, they are effectively excluding half of their population from contributing to the economy. Then there's the call to prayer (5 times a day) which hampers on productivity. Or look at India's caste system that discriminates against certain people by virtue of ancestral heritage.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's the thing with politics and history, everyone writes about it to defend their viewpoint. One thing I'll say that I definitely agree with it is that countries should be held accountable of their own internal affairs. I've spent enough time in developing countries to know that most of their problems are internal in nature, rather than being the product of foreign intervention.

Take the Middle East for example, while many do blame western powers for interference, upon closer inspection one notices that they bottleneck themselves through their own policies. By limiting the role women play in society, they are effectively excluding half of their population from contributing to the economy. Then there's the call to prayer (5 times a day) which hampers on productivity. Or look at India's caste system that discriminates against certain people by virtue of ancestral heritage.

I agree to a point....but powerful countries often do take advantage of weak, dysfunctional ones.....it is an historical fact...the evidence is overwhelming.
Sure, that does not have to become an easy excuse for internal problems.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree to a point....but powerful countries often do take advantage of weak, dysfunctional ones.....it is an historical fact...the evidence is overwhelming.
Sure, that does not have to become an easy excuse for internal problems.
Unfortunately, it often becomes an easy excuse. In fact, a number of people from developing countries point to the same conclusion. Isn't that what happened in Greece recently (I didn't follow the event closely)? Syriza was trying to get Germany to pay up for war damage, but it backfired.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Correct and when people write about history and such but the information is distorted when it's passed down, important aspects are omitted and outright lies are pushed forth then we all do ourselves a disservice and more importantly we do our children a disservice. You are also very correct about countries screwing up their policies with detrimental effects to their societies.

If you apply this to Russias case I don't think that Russias current government is a self destructive one. It has issues, that's true but look at other systems. America has one mission concerning Russia. Domination of Russia at least and even better the break up of Russia as a whole. America is on a mission from god.

It's not necessary for the good of America. What is necessary and good for America is cooperation with Russia. Together we could do tremendous good for humanity.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
LOL, America doesn't seek to dominate Russia. America seeks to defend Russia's neighbors from Russia because that is how the world keeps peace, by not invading neighbors and stealing their land.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Correct and when people write about history and such but the information is distorted when it's passed down, important aspects are omitted and outright lies are pushed forth then we all do ourselves a disservice and more importantly we do our children a disservice. You are also very correct about countries screwing up their policies with detrimental effects to their societies.

If you apply this to Russias case I don't think that Russias current government is a self destructive one. It has issues, that's true but look at other systems. America has one mission concerning Russia. Domination of Russia at least and even better the break up of Russia as a whole. America is on a mission from god.

It's not necessary for the good of America. What is necessary and good for America is cooperation with Russia. Together we could do tremendous good for humanity.
Well I don't think the US government would like to see a break up with Russia. It prefers a stable government there than ones that are unstable. In the 1990s, there was a concern that this could happen and could result in terrorists getting a hand on the nuclear arsenal in Russia.

There is cooperation with Russia on terrorism issues and that wont go away. An example was an CIA help thwart a terrorist attack in St Petersburg.

Also Russia does express desire to cooperate with the US on Afghanistan.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
There are absolutely no plans or desire by the West to break up Russia, as that would lead to uncontrolled chaos. What the West wants is that Russia becomes even remotely a "normal" country with whom you can deal and trade with.

I understand that Russians are due to their history paranoid of an invasion, but believe me, NATO is not out there to "get" Russia, because that would be a war neither could ever win, but only lose. In short; Russia is an enemy the West doesn't need.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
You guys don't get it, Putin needs Russians to think they are under attack by a hostile west. They cannot be allowed to think the sanctions are actually for Russia's invasion of Ukraine. That would belie the notion that they are involved in the first place. Accompanying story: Ukraine's problems are self created due to straying from Russia.

His problem is how to resolve it. how to get Ukraine to stop resisting Russia so they can give Putin what he wants? When he gets that, Ukraine gets peace and sanctions are dropped, so he created incentives to get what he wants but they haven't worked. Thus the need to pretend that many in Europe are against the sanctions, and falling short of that, try to break EU unity. Putin believes that if the sanctions are dropped without Russia getting out of Ukraine, Ukraine will give up. He may be right, so that's why his goal of getting rid of sanctions is so important to him that he's willing to trash Russia's image by interfering in Western elections.

Instead, its creating the opposite effect by enhancing NATO unity. Just as his actions created the opposite effect inside Ukraine, it made them more united to move away from Russia's influence.

He's the master of spin and somehow Russians love him for ruining their country like this...

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You guys don't get it, Putin needs Russians to think they are under attack by a hostile west. They cannot be allowed to think the sanctions are actually for Russia's invasion of Ukraine. That would belie the notion that they are involved in the first place. Accompanying story: Ukraine's problems are self created due to straying from Russia.
I totally get it. It's a good distraction from real issues within Russia, and it enhances unity among the disinformed people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe