Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
For better of for worse, Russia space program is the only one currently capable of delivering human cargo to the International Space Station.

So you compare Russia Space Program with Elon Musk playing with Rockets (by the way, using Russian engines)?? ahahaha that is funny!!!
Yes currently cheaper to use Soyuz to ferry astronauts to the ISS, seeing as the point of the ISS is to let the world contribute it makes no sense to replace what already works. A 1960's ferry is not exactly groundbreaking though is it?

No Russian engines in Falcon rockets, lol. Yes, Elon's company makes better rockets now so I guess that's a problem for all competitors worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 03:18 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Saudi Arabia exists peacefully with Israel because the US pays them to. Providing huge defense deals and guaranteeing protection for its oil industry, in exchange for relations with Israel (and support the petro-dollar). Same with Egypt, the US provides billions in defense aid for Egypt, in exchange for having non-hostile relations with Israel.
Not quite. Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel during Sadat's tenure in order to secure the return of the Sinai. Saudi Arabia has no territorial disputes with Israel and doesn't even recognize the state, in contrast with Egypt which does. They only thing they have in common is a mutual dislike of Iran.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
For better of for worse, Russia space program is the only one currently capable of delivering human cargo to the International Space Station.

So you compare Russia Space Program with Elon Musk playing with Rockets (by the way, using Russian engines)?? ahahaha that is funny!!!
I think what you should have said is deliver astronauts as a number of nations have been able to deliver cargo to the ISS, including Canada. The US scraped the space shuttle program in 2011 and are working on a replacement.

But beyond that, the ISS is hardly the most impressive thing about space exploration. Russia has yet to land a rover on Mars, something NASA did back in the 70's with the Vikings. Then there's New Horizons and Pluto as well as the two Voyagers who have left the Solar System altogether.

I would give the ESA credit as well for landing on Titan and the comet 67P. Of course, many space agencies work in tandem with one another, so tech is bound to be shared.

The Soviets had a robust space program and were on top at one point and they deserve credit for being the first nation in space as well as landing probes on Venus (something no one has attempted in a long while), but today's program is a far cry from that one. Of course, they are trying to remedy that and likely will, but it will take some time.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think what you should have said is deliver astronauts as a number of nations have been able to deliver cargo to the ISS, including Canada. The US scraped the space shuttle program in 2011 and are working on a replacement.
In fact I specified "human cargo" in my message

Quote:
I would give the ESA credit as well for landing on Titan and the comet 67P. Of course, many space agencies work in tandem with one another, so tech is bound to be shared.

The Soviets had a robust space program and were on top at one point and they deserve credit for being the first nation in space as well as landing probes on Venus (something no one has attempted in a long while), but today's program is a far cry from that one. Of course, they are trying to remedy that and likely will, but it will take some time.
I agree...costs are so high and the R&D so complex that sharing is the only way to go.

Frankly I expect Russia and China to join forces for space exploration. I would not be surprised if they announce a joint human mission to Mars in the future.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:48 PM

[quote=DKM;50955226]Yes currently cheaper to use Soyuz to ferry astronauts to the ISS, seeing as the point of the ISS is to let the world contribute it makes no sense to replace what already works. A 1960's ferry is not exactly groundbreaking though is it?
[/quoptye]

Do you think the Soyuz is still the same from the end of the 60??

Quote:
No Russian engines in Falcon rockets, lol. Yes, Elon's company makes better rockets now so I guess that's a problem for all competitors worldwide.
I see you drank the Elon Kool-Aid...so he did not use Russian engines?? ahahahahah

Musk can keep playing with toys as long as gullible investors keep giving him capital...ain't going to last...the guy basically run a Ponzi scheme...

Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
I don't watch Russian news (propaganda) nearly as much as I used to. Please fill me in where the idea came from that SpaceX uses Russian engines. They are built here in Southern California.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't watch Russian news (propaganda) nearly as much as I used to. Please fill me in where the idea came from that SpaceX uses Russian engines. They are built here in Southern California.
Space X Merlin and Raptor engines are based on a Russian design.

The real reason why the ban on the use of Russian engines was postponed is because SpaceX wasn't capable of lifting the heavy satellites used by the DoD into high orbits and Atlas (the launch vehicle using Russian engines offered by ULA, United Launch Alliances, a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed-Martin) was the cheapest option available that could get the job done

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenth.../#3cfa15325f52

Space X just launched Falcon Heavy, a 27 engine first stage rocket (9 engines first stage + 2 boosters with 9 engines each), a solution what was abandoned by the Russians over 45 years ago (admittedly all 4 launch attempts failed) and not even attempted by NASA because of inherent inefficiency.

Producing very big, powerful, reliable engines is difficult.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-07-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 05:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Construction of the tallest skyscraper in Europe (St. Petersburg) is almost completed
I think that's an abomination, and so do many locals, as that tower has been wildly controversial. Sticks out like sore thumb.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
They may not, the future will tell....definitely another strong power in the region may help stabilizing things. Iran may be more willing to negotiate a peaceful existence in the region once it knows it can rely on a st power protecting the survival of their sphere of influence.
Well Syria is not stablised after 5 years of conflict. It not Russia that wants piece of the pie of Syria, but Turkey, the Kurds, The US, The Syrian government and the Syrian Government.

Russia support for Iran is a big risk too.

The Iranian regime has threatened to destroy Israeli cities. Iran steps up on transferring arms to Hezbollah which is an Islamist party, who totally controls Lebanon. Lebanon was once a secular state, and its capital was once seen as the Paris of the East. Iran transfers arms to Hamas who party is a mafia state who is outspoken on the destruction of Israel. Iranian troops on the Israeli border does not help either. All I can see is there be more likely Isreali and Iranian confrontation esp in Syria. Also Russia is building several nuclear plants in Iran and Israel, the US and Saudi Arabia does not trust Iran nuclear ambitions.

Russia is unable to bring a peace deal with Ukraine and Transnistria.

Last edited by other99; 02-07-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Syria is not stablised. It not Russia that wants piece of the pie of Syria, but Turkey, the Kurds, The US, The Syrian government and the Syrian Government.

The Iranian regime has threatened to destroy Israeli cities. Iran steps up on transferring arms to Hezbollah which is an Islamist party, who totally controls Lebanon. Lebanon was once a secular state, and its capital was once seen as the Paris of the East. Iran transfers arms to Hamas who party is a mafia state who is outspoken on the destruction of Israel. Iranian troops on the Israeli border does not help either. All I can see is there be more likely Isreali and Iranian confrontation esp in Syria. Also Russia is building several nuclear plants in Iran and Israel, the US and Saudi Arabia does not trust Iran nuclear ambitions.

Russia is unable to bring a peace deal with Ukraine and Transnistria.

Yet of course the US did make a big mistake of overthrowing Saddam Hussain in the first place, and Iraq is not dominated by Iran.
Russia wants definitely keep its military bases in Syria so it had definitely an interest in keeping Syria (the Assad regime to be precise) alive and functioning.

Ukraine is trying to act tough because they think they have the full backing of NATO and the EU....that could be a very costly miscalculation. Not having a NATO state on its border is more important to Russia than having Ukraine joining NATO for Europe.....NATO and the EU are nto going to risk a war for Ukraine.....the EU is already getting impatient to roll back the sanctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe