Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

Saratov Airlines flight departing Domodedovo went down SE of Moscow. No survivors. 71 passengers dead .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:04 AM

403 posts, read 221,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Any educated American knows the Russian contribution to ww2. We Americans and the Russians have attitudes towards each other colored by the Cold War but 73 years ago we were partners in crushing the Nazi/imperial Japanese threat. Any one who knows anything about the eastern front, Leningrad or the battle of Stalingrad respects the Red Army, Russian War effort and Russian sacrifice. The USAs great contribution to the war was more about our technological prowess and industrial might than it was about actual battlefield superiority. Our war was won in Detroit factories, from 30000 feet up in a Flying Fortress and eventually in the hot white flash of a nuclear bomb. Russias victory was more about grit and determination and the sacrifice of the blood of millions of its people. Believe it or not most Americans do know all this and Americans respect Russia for thier conduct in WW2, part of the reason why we took the Soviet threat very seriously. If Americans and Russians revisited this history and celebrated what we accomplished together then maybe we could get over the 70 years of stupid that hangs over relations between our two nations.
THANK YOU!!!
My favorite photos of WWII. Pity, this did not last long...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwII...iw=988&bih=615

Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Nuland, Obama, Bush, Bush2, CIA, FBI, Soros, Pu**y Riot, Nemtsov, Catholicism, Protestantism and all others paid money to every western neighbour to Russia in order to hate it. Russia has never done anything wrong, it's a virginal victim who only gets invaded. Did I already mention that Russia never does anything wrong?

What makes me think is that if Russians are so susceptible to foreign influence, doesn't it undermine the intelligence of the Russian populace? Like when the Soviet Union fell, the Russian people were just paid off by Soros and the CIA to make Russian oligarchs filthy rich and the people were ok with it? Even if it was true, what self-respecting country would allow that to itself? For example if Soros and the CIA would try to take over Sweden, the Swedes would say hell no and fight to the death.

If Russians are just "innocent victims" of the collapse of the USSR, doesn't this speak in favour of the nazi idea that the Russians are "untermensch" who can't even control their own country?

I'm from a small country, but I would find it deeply depressing and embarrassing if we would blame the US/USSR/Germany/Sweden for all misery we faced. But no, we are not Slavs who love to bathe in their own self-pity.
Hmmmm...
May be you missed reading this German pamphlet?

Published in 1942 after the start of Operation Barbarossa, the German invasion of the Soviet Union, it is around 50 pages long and consists for the most part of photos portraying the enemy in an extremely negative way (see link below for the title page). 3,860,995 copies were printed in the German language. It was translated into Greek, French, Dutch, Danish, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Czech and seven other languages. The pamphlet says the following:

Just as the night rises against the day, the light and dark are in eternal conflict. So too, is the subhuman the greatest enemy of the dominant species on earth, mankind. The subhuman is a biological creature, crafted by nature, which has hands, legs, eyes and mouth, even the semblance of a brain. Nevertheless, this terrible creature is only a partial human being.

Although it has features similar to a human, the subhuman is lower on the spiritual and psychological scale than any animal. Inside of this creature lies wild and unrestrained passions: an incessant need to destroy, filled with the most primitive desires, chaos and coldhearted villainy.

A subhuman and nothing more!

Not all of those who appear human are in fact so. Woe to him who forgets it!

Mulattoes and Finn-Asian barbarians, Gipsies and black skin savages all make up this modern underworld of subhumans that is always headed by the appearance of the eternal Jew.[3]wiki
Do you know what being HUMAN means? HERE::" representative of or susceptible to the sympathies and frailties of human nature human kindness human weakness"Webster Dictionary

Last edited by Straight Arrow; 02-11-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
THIS Perelman?

I remember his text-books were widely used in the Soviet Union ( I didn't know that he died from starvation during the siege of Leningrad though)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Perelman.

P.S. I don't care what he likes)))

He is going to learn math and science ( since he is capable of it,) and once I am in my grave, he can become whatever he wants - a lawyer, psychologist or politician.

But for now the way it stands, is the way I was raised since my childhood. I've been told that "if you understand math and science, you'll always have employment and you'll be always in demand. Everyone can y ak, ( reference to me, ) but not too many are capable to learn math/science."
Yes, that's him - the old Yakov Perelman, whom Tsiolkovsky liked...

Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Ordinary "people from street " at least hear do not hate Russia. I don't kow how was situation somewhere elsewhere. Soviet era is commemorated with not a bad word, nostalgy is quite popular, even contemopray companies organize their employees style parties dedicated to theme of Moscow Olymipcs 80 and so one.

I don't know how elsewhere but here right wing libaratrian elite and media (media is here always right wing and russophobic) are combating with these good attitudes towards Russia and they are trying to cultivate growth of suspecting, negative or disdainful attitude towards russia/soviet era.
It is often in life like in an old Russian poverb: " Imeyesh ne tsenish- poteryaesh plachesh". (When you have it - you do not appreciate it, it is only when you loose it you appreciate it, and then you cry...")

Life in the Soviet Union was like living in a greenhouse... My sister who only benefited from it - loved it.
Me too... until certain change in my personal life - married the "wrong" person, then, the whole chain of unfortunate events started...and I had no choice but leave.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Ordinary "people from street " at least hear do not hate Russia. I don't kow how was situation somewhere elsewhere. Soviet era is commemorated with not a bad word, nostalgy is quite popular, even contemopray companies organize their employees style parties dedicated to theme of Moscow Olymipcs 80 and so one.

I don't know how elsewhere but here right wing libaratrian elite and media (media is here always right wing and russophobic) are combating with these good attitudes towards Russia and they are trying to cultivate growth of suspecting, negative or disdainful attitude towards russia/soviet era.
You see it differently because you are a younger generation who remember good times in a Soviet Union.
The older generations wanted their freedom. I think learning Russian language was compulsory at school - talking about pushing down the throat somebody"s culture, language, way of life, way of thinking...
I really liked visiting Baltic Republics back then. Everything about it mesmerized me - it is like being in Europe. Beautiful old architecture in Old Town in Vilnius had a wonderful feeling - it was like walking into medieval town.
Things that were made there were superb quality, higher standards. They were supplied better too with imported things.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My take on things is that whatever Stolypin ( and whoever else) was trying to implement by that time, was already "too little, too late."
Besides, what good does it do for the country to be a major supplier of grain, when it's sorely lacking in other essential areas, and is basically in semi-colonial situation?
With other words, the brutality of Stalin's actions were the direct result of Tzarist regime failures.
Stalin was no fool as a statesman; it's another thing that those who came after him were reluctant to switch the "emergency mode" (that economy was operating under Stalin rule,) to something more sensible and appropriate.
It is not too late too little now. Stolypin's reform is exactly what Russia needs now. Privatization of a lot of land (hell, give them free 1 acre land and subsidies building houses) while leaving huge tracts of land for government farms - grain, dairy farms. Build good roads. You know how Russian people like their dachas. They will move from their hruschobi to private owned land. I don't want to say that because of our two Russia haters here - you know to feed their hatred, but... Dostoevsky said something like this - "give Russian person land and you will transfer a serf into a human being..."
Oh, and Stolypin was a smart man - took agriculture at St. Petersburg university and one of his teachers was Mendeleyev.. I wish they did not assassinate him.. like many others...
Actually, if I am Pal Nikolaich I would talk exactly this - to get Russian men and women out to vote

Last edited by Straight Arrow; 02-11-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 12:12 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Really?
I am surprised to hear that, particularly coming from Estonia.
On another hand, as I've already said I was surprised at the first place to learn the fate of Baltic countries, the kind of cut throat capitalism they received, instead of the "European" one.
Then in this case of course, no wonder that Soviet times might bring nostalgic feelings, even if this can be connected to the "Russian occupation."
I was commenting someone's post yesterday on FB; they posted the news that Putin's Duma was planning to charge for the Ambulance service now. So the guy said something like "you wanted to "live like in Europe?" Enjoy it now." To which I had to explain to him that developed European countries in fact have free medical care - the kind we used to have in the Soviet Union, but it was the "successful American model" that was enforced on Russia instead, and that's where the idea of paid medical services is coming from.
I remember how much I hated Soviet system ( that is I, personally.) But it never precluded me from seeing some strong sides of it; I mean I COULD understand why it benefited a lot of people, and why they liked it.
However once my wishes were granted, I did leave the country and landed in the US ( by accident by the way ,) after sufficient amount of time I am looking back, and I understand things in retrospective much better now.
There were a lot of ideas in the USSR, that were far out, and probably ahead of their time. I could see what was NOT working in the USSR as well, and I could see it coming to a crashing end, HOWEVER... My thought is, that comparably to certain Soviet ideas, American model doesn't have much future left, and is running out of steam.
I could see how/why this model could successfully operate in the past, but after American corporate capital went globally ( instead of working for its own country,) it was all downhill from there. In fact I don't give it more than couple of years, before the country implodes)))

Quote:
Well it's normal, because the "right wing" serves the elite interests, and the elite interests are always about money first and utmost)))
I do believe that the US is essentially is an ultimate RIGHT WING country in its essence; the "left ideas" didn't come there until what...? Only end of the thirties of the last century?
And as I've probably said before, in spite of the Democrats ideas to steal the "left ideas" from Russia, and pushing Russia down the "right path" in return, (which would ultimately destroy that country,) while announcing the US as "free Democratic" and "left" blah-blah, and taking over the world under this guise was not going to work)))

But in case of Estonia...
As the practice shows, most of the E.E. countries were USED to fight Russian interests; no one ( as it turned out) was really preoccupied with the fate of "long suffering people under Russian oppression" there, really...

Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
I don't think Soviets would give up anybody to Norway, Sweden or Finland - they were considered collaborators. I seriously doubt that any children were saved.
I know that some Jews were transported to those countries and were saved. Do not remember the number.
Both you and Ari are incorrect. Finland Sweden and Norway via the Red Cross took in Russian orphans from Leningrad. I remember pictures of an orphanage Helsinki funded by the Red Cross and another in Oslo. Of note is what the Finnish nurses were wearing. Ushankas and great coats like Russians wore in the winter. Damned if I can find anything on the internet about it though.

Children were most of the first individuals to be evacuated and the vast majority were shipped by train throughout the Soviet Union to orphanages. 100s of 1000s.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They weren't clean. The evidence (urine samples) was destroyed by the ironically named Russian Anti-Doping Agency. Get over it...
Court of Arbitration for Sport said that they are clean. But you say that they are not clean because they are Russian. The shame. The last time such words sounded in Europe 75 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe