Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism is mostly implicit in our ideas and attitudes, so it is often unnoticed by the individual expressing it (see implicit bias).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Now when it comes to FORMS - you need to check out those for the lower ladder of the society. Practically ALL kind of applications ( be that housing or energy assistance or what's not) ask about the race.

Yes, of course THERE IS institutionalized racism in the US - no doubt about it. It's simply rather more implicit than explicit. But it's there, never the less.

Tell me how, checking the box on the race question is going to affect negatively the person that is filling that form,...I'm all ears....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I'll let him answer all those questions. Let's just say he's not exactly the most popular person on the Canadian forum.
He makes a lot of good points though.

I get a ton of Quick Reputation messages from my Canada forum posts....

Truth sometimes hurts....the group on that forum unhappy with me is the "Canada is paradise" merry band of 3-4 individuals....

Old 01-08-2018, 07:07 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Tell me how, checking the box on the race question is going to affect negatively the person that is filling that form,...I'm all ears....
You are "all ears"?
Then here it goes.
All this information is collected for statistical purpose.
Then this information becomes available to different "think tanks" in politics, and sooner or later - to the rest of the public.
And now - would you be so kind to visit the "Politics" forum and pay attention to all those posts condemning the "leeches," the "hood rats" and the rest.
And then tell me again that racism is not institutionalized in the US.
Or why do you think they collect the data on race here?
Do they collect this type of data in Europe?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
You are "all ears"?
Then here it goes.
All this information is collected for statistical purpose.
Then this information becomes available to different "think tanks" in politics, and sooner or later - to the rest of the public.
And now - would you be so kind to visit the "Politics" forum and pay attention to all those posts condemning the "leeches," the "hood rats" and the rest.
And then tell me again that racism is not institutionalized in the US.
Or why do you think they collect the data on race here?
Do they collect this type of data in Europe?
I don't think it's just because of the stats. It has more to do with the fact that it took the US about a 100 years to abolish slavery following it's independence. Even after that, segregation was widespread in the south for another century.

African Americans are still far more likely to get targeted by cops than Caucasians because of their skin color.

The census is probably the least offensive part of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that official censuses in the US do not require a person to specify their ethnicity or religion.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
I don't think it's just because of the stats. It has more to do with the fact that it took the US about a 100 years to abolish slavery following it's independence. Even after that, segregation was widespread in the south for another century.

African Americans are still far more likely to get targeted by cops than Caucasians because of their skin color.

The census is probably the least offensive part of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that official censuses in the US do not require a person to specify their ethnicity or religion.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045217

Last edited by erasure; 01-08-2018 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Zero tolerance policy has nothing to do with race....
It can be accompanied by profiling which often includes ethnicity and appearances suggesting ethnic background as criteria. The policy merely indicates there is a more rigid code applied to those people.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Protection against Russian hackers.

https://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploa...1176f105ea.png

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Oh, it took me 20 seconds...

https://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploa...c5c475021d.png

Old 01-09-2018, 02:16 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
I think it's important to collect data on how many people are in each ethnic/racial group. It helps you understand who the minority groups are, how many there are, and if they are being properly represented. Also with this data we can project that very soon the US will become a minority majority country, meaning that no racial/ethnic group will be a majority. I think such data is important. Also doesn't Russia collect such data too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Russia

Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Largely is a metropolitan legend and a convenient excuse for some sectors of the black community for not cleaning up their neighborhoods.....there is the occasional bad apple racist cop?? Definitely yes.....there are racists everywhere, including Canada.

You ignore the 800 pounds gorilla in the room......in some "hot areas", accidents can happen because some cops fear for their lives and that can make them trigger happy or prone to make mistakes....should we condone them?? No obviously but it has nothing to do with skin color.

It is a human nature.

The state of mind of a police officer stopping a normal black person for a traffic violation on a normal working class suburban area is going to be very different compared to stopping a car blasting rap music "f...the police" with guys (black or white) tattooed from head to toe, gold chains, etc... with a confrontational attitude in a "war zone"....again is human nature.

The inconvenient truth, crime statistics.....

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...s-commit-crime

Blacks represent 13-14% of the population and commit 52% of murders.

93% of black victims are killed by blacks, 84% of white victims are killed by whites

I can guarantee that none of my black friends would be killed accidentally by the Police.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-09-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe