Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I heard there were a large number of Chechnyans that joined ISIS in Syria/Iraq and many of them have returned home. Russia suffering the similar problems as the French and Belgiums are going through with returning ISIS from the Middle East.
Yes, it could be a case.
Although I think that Russians are more undiscriminating and ruthless when it comes to control of radical Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's a pretty poor argument. If young adults can drive, drink... or even smoke pot now that's it's becoming legal they are less likely to be drawn to guns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the age of consent is 16 in the US. If you can "get laid" at that age, then why would drinking be such a problem?
It seems to me that they are still trying to define and redefine what "consent" is, here in the US.
And it all goes to the endless drama on campuses.
When girls drink and act stupid, can their "yes" filled with booze be taken as a legal "consent?"
And if guys are drunk on the campus, that doesn't make things any better.
And these are all people with money, that pay for their sons and daughters to live on University campuses. Hence - the laws.
I don't think the government would be AS concerned for their lower strata of population.

How is it in Canada on this front?
What's the legal age of drinking?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Just told you though; the US is generally pretty damn safe. Most of the violence is isolated to a few, inner city areas, and are related to gang and drug violence as are its victims. Outside of those areas, it is rare to encounter violence, especially gun violence. Not giving the US an excuse, but saying the entire US is like some inner city high crime area, is false. I also do not believe we should have knee jerk, nation wide reactions due to these groups abusing rights of gun ownership, that is like saying we should place more restrictions on voting because some people illegally voted.
Yet meanwhile the worst of mass shootings occurred outside the few inner city areas, in areas that are supposed to be safe such as schools, churches, nightclubs and a country music festival. Meanwhile there not been mass shootings in Australia since there been a more strict gun control. Imagine teaching at a school not far from the last incident? The last mass shooting occurred in 1996. Meanwhile the NRA gives funds to Washington in order to protect their industry from people that wish to bring in strict gun control.

I sure the NRA is pleased with the Nevada laws where: It does not require firearm owners to obtain licenses or register their guns.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-0...addock/9009432

Last edited by other99; 02-19-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, it could be a case.
Although I think that Russians are more undiscriminating and ruthless when it comes to control of radical Islam.
Well Russia has for much longer had to live with a large amount of Muslims and some can get radical. In the West large amount of Muslims are a recent phenomenon.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yet meanwhile the worst of mass shootings occurred outside the few inner city areas, in areas that are supposed to be safe such as schools, churches, nightclubs and a country music festival. Meanwhile there not been mass shootings in Australia since there been a more strict gun control. Imagine teaching at a school not far from the last incident? The last mass shooting occurred in 1996. Meanwhile the NRA gives funds to Washington in order to protect their industry from people that wish to bring in strict gun control.
Mass shootings are a small, very small, fraction of gun violence, I do not understand why you are so fixated on it. You are by far more likely to be a victim of homicide by any means other than a mass shooting. You should try to not be so attached to media driven sensationalism.

You are incorrect, there have been mass shootings in Australia since 1996, I even gave you think link for reference in the other thread. Here it is again.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Australia

There also was not much of an issue before 1996 anyway, so it is disingenuous to state the 1996 law fundamentally changed anything, hell, guns that can cause mass shootings are still available.

Most states do not require licensing and registration, I do not know why you singled out Nevada.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Mass shootings are a small, very small, fraction of gun violence, I do not understand why you are so fixated on it. You are by far more likely to be a victim of homicide by any means other than a mass shooting. You should try to not be so attached to media driven sensationalism.

You are incorrect, there have been mass shootings in Australia since 1996, I even gave you think link for reference in the other thread. Here it is again.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Australia

There also was not much of an issue before 1996 anyway, so it is disingenuous to state the 1996 law fundamentally changed anything, hell, guns that can cause mass shootings are still available.

Most states do not require licensing and registration, I do not know why you singled out Nevada.
Plus it not common here for people that wish to own a gun, but in the US a very high number use it for self protection. It not needed, and its safer here than the US. Also with Canada with Toronto it a big city in North American terms yet it is far safer than a typical North American big city.

Yes there were mass shootings prior to 1996 and I do remember there were then as a person that lived through the 1980s and 1990s. In addition The University of Sydney, in a 2016 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found Australia hadn't experienced a fatal mass shooting — one in which five or more people are killed — since the 1996 shooting. In the 18 years prior, 1979-1996, there were 13 fatal mass shootings in Australiahttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...did/340345002/

I remember too that in 1996 the NRA stated to its audience in the US that due the new Australian gun control, and they predicted there be chaos and out of control crime in Australia.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Drive at 16, consent at 18, drink and pot at 21. The current debate is to raise the gun age to at least 21 as well, I can't see a good reason why not.
Uhmm..
Yeah, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjk2fwnEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB7MwvqCtlk

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It seems to me that they are still trying to define and redefine what "consent" is, here in the US.
And it all goes to the endless drama on campuses.
When girls drink and act stupid, can their "yes" filled with booze be taken as a legal "consent?"
And if guys are drunk on the campus, that doesn't make things any better.
And these are all people with money, that pay for their sons and daughters to live on University campuses. Hence - the laws.
I don't think the government would be AS concerned for their lower strata of population.

How is it in Canada on this front?
What's the legal age of drinking?
In Canada, it's either 18 or 19, depending on the province.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Ukraine and Belarus have gold medals. Maybe Russia can invade and claim their medals for their own glory.

No but seriously after all this, doping in curling? Who will they blame this time... or will outright denial be the reaction this time around.

https://www.sott.net/article/370920-...Russian-doping

Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
In Canada, it's either 18 or 19, depending on the province.
And what's the tuition in Universities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe